The lighter side of police work

/ The lighter side of police work #71  
In 1970 Dad ordered a new Fury III, gold 440. The Va. state police had those same cars, mostly black police interceptors.
I used to pull over my friends with it using the flashers.
One day Dad was fabricating something out of plastic pipe he could hang on drivers window, he said it looked like radar.
He was a salesman, wore a suit and tie. One day he was in a hurry and saw a trooper pulling up behind. Dad said he looked at speedometer and he was doing 80. He said the trooper pulled up beside him, apparently saw the "radar", guy in a suit with briefcase, gave Dad a thumbs up, then nailed it...out of site!

/ The lighter side of police work #72  
Way back in the last century, Orlando FLA, had a toll road that had unmanned block houses for pay booths. The block houses, which were located on the off ramp of the toll road, had a basket to toss your toll into and a red/green light. The light would be red when you pulled up, and once you tossed your money into the basket, the light would turn green. Otherwise the light stayed red.

My cousin had a heavy foot and hated to pay the nickle and dime toll. It really was a PITA and there was no body at the block house to make change. Having said that, ye knew you were on a toll road... So she would drive up to the toll house, slow down and make a motion with her arm like she had tossed a few coins into the basket and then drive off. Now, if you did not pay, not only would the light stay red, but as you drove off a bell would ring. I would have hated to live near one of the toll houses. :rolleyes:

One day, Dear Cousin, pulls of the toll road as she has done a gazzillion times, slowed down at the toll booth, put her arm out and made a motion as if she actually tossed money into the basket, and started to drive off as the bell started ringing. But she had to stop and stop quick this time.

From behind the toll house, a police officer, on a horse, rode out and blocked the intersection. :shocked::eek::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Dear Cousin got pulled over in a car by an officer on a horse. :thumbsup::laughing::laughing::laughing: Loved it. She got a ticket for not paying the toll. :D:D:D

I bet the officer did that quite a few times and loved to tell talk about it. :D

Later,
Dan

/ The lighter side of police work #73  
The chief tried to make the excuse that the LEO was probably on a call. I suggested that the lack of flashing lights and siren suggested otherwise.

When I first started on the police department, code 1 meant following all the same traffic laws as everyone else was supposed to do. Code 2 meant using the red lights and no siren to go through traffic lights, after stopping, and to not stop for stop signs, etc. on an urgent, but not real emergency call, and on a Code 2 call, we were supposed to stay within the speed limit. Code 3 was red lights and siren and speed not to exceed 10 mph over the posted limit. Code 2 was discontinued many, many years ago. Theoretically, red lights AND siren had to be used together.

And I'll admit that I frequently violated those rules. "Burglar alarms", "prowler", "burglar in a building", "fights" and such were Code 1 calls, but I did want to get there as quickly as possible in hopes of catching a criminal, or preventing injuries to someone. I knew that IF I should be involved in an accident, I'd be found at fault and there'd be a penalty for me. But I often drove very fast, sometimes running red lights and stop signs, and never had an accident.

/ The lighter side of police work #74  
Here's one everyone loves.
After college I got a job an a burglar alarm installer. Night and Day Security was the company. Technology wasn't that great or elaborate in the early 70s, and most were all hardwired with window foil tape and magnetic switches.
There was a small engine sales/service shop in town that had several break ins. My boss and I decided the best system for that shop would be what I installed, which was in middle of shop I suspended metal conduit with a cigar box sized motion detection on the end which was about 9 ft. in the air. This went to a telephone dialer which dialed two numbers, so I programmed it for the shop owner and city police. It also connected to a microphone and cassette tape player and speaker.
It was a little after 5 o'clock so I told the shop owner I'd be back in the morning to finish up, but "when you leave today twist these two wires together and it will work".
The next morning the owner ran out, thanking me profusely...it worked!!!!!
He said about midnight his phone rang, he heard things moving around on microphone...then heard tape player. He rushed to his business, police were already there, three guys laying on the floor saying "Turn it off! Turn it off!!!!"
The tape player message was still playing...
"You have been detected by Night and Day Security. There are six remote controlled pistols aimed at you right now. Slowly lay down on the floor. Slowly put your hands behind your back. Do not make any sudden moves. Do not breathe hard. The police have been notified and are arriving soon".

/ The lighter side of police work #75  
^^^^
This gets my vote for best in show. :D :thumbsup:

/ The lighter side of police work #76  
I retired a couple of months ago after working over thirty years with the local city Police Department. About a year ago, early in the morning as a detective I was called to a factory regarding a man found inside when workers opened up and this man was pinned under an ATM machine that he was obviously attempting to steal. This perpetrator was attempting to move the machine down a stairway when it fell and wound up on top of him. He did squeal on his partner who abandoned him. He was also hospitalized with a broken collar bone.

/ The lighter side of police work #77  
I would have loved to have been in your shoes. I would say "hold on buddy, we'll call the ambulance soon" while I would be filing my fingernails and yawning.
Talk about karma!

/ The lighter side of police work #78  
I would have loved to have been in your shoes. I would say "hold on buddy, we'll call the ambulance soon" while I would be filing my fingernails and yawning.
Talk about karma!

“ dang, I left my phone in the car. Don’t worry I’ll be right back”.

/ The lighter side of police work #79  
“ dang, I left my phone in the car. Don’t worry I’ll be right back”.
Right. An hour later, coffee and donut...had to wait for the Krispy Kreme "Hot and Ready" sign to come on.