The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :)
Well, it was only 3-4 inches so far but I also had some drifts. Of course it's no real test but the blower did great. Turns out it can also be used as a cultivator by the average novice, lol. We are still getting snow so I will need to clear it again tomorrow.

Although there isn't a sheet of ice yet, I didn't spin once. I think the tire grooving does help.

Here's a Christmas looking before along with a during and an after. I did clean up and get everything melted of course.

Attachments

• Christmas time.jpg
    Christmas time.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 103
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 110
   / The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #62  
The one is supposed to be 83 pto factory and it's 93 instead but it's the open station and I'm not about to blow or plow snow with any open station. The other cab model, I don't know what the output is, but I will shortly as it's going in for a tune up and my dealer will dyno it.

Like I said (despite all the naysayers on here that really don't have a clue but I do because I have quite a bit of personal experience as the last 4 winters with the Lucknow on the back, in light fluffy snow, no issue. In heavy wet snow or heavy accumulation, you won't be a happy camper. Like I said I have the experience and you are about to find out first hand. Just make sure you have your defroster grid on the back window running all the time, you'll need it or the wiper will freeze and won't wipe beans. I use that Rain Ex washer fluid in mine too.

Least you put on sissy sticks. Have them on my plow but not the blower because the blower only extends about 3" past the outside of the rear tires.

Lot of posters on here 'think they know it all' and don't know horse poop from applebutter.

When I post something like snowblower width compared to power, it's from actual experience, not imagined at a computer keyboard by some Keyboard know nothing Rambo. Go find out for yourself. Experience is always the best teacher. When you find out that blower is too big, I have a use Lucknow 6.5 foot in the barn.

Just raining here in South East Michigan. Fine with me. Been in the mid 30's to 40's all day. You can keep that white stuff up north. I own property up by Petoskey and even they get too much snow for me.

Wow! Calling other people know it all's, know nothing Rambo's and clueless because you have 4 years experience using a rear facing snowblower and therefore know more than all the others on this forum. I guess my 13 years of experience using a rear facing snowblower doesn't count for anything.

Those of us that offered our opinions did so on the basis of our experience and have not resorted to calling others names because they have different opinions. We offer our opinions to help assist someone new to the task / equipment. You are free to have your opinion as others are free to voice theirs. It's that freedom of speech thing. Unfortunately you seem to get all huffy when someone offers an opinion contrary to yours. I suggest that the real "know it all's" are not the people who offer contrary opinions but those who think their opinion is the only one that matters and everyone else is clueless.

So based on my limited 13 years of experience using a 6' rear facing blower on the back of a 47hp tractor and one year with a 7' blower on the back of a 60hp tractor, (14 years total) it is still my opinion that the OP will be fine with his setup. I guess it really depends on his conditions and expectations. Time will tell and I'm sure he will report back once he has a little more snow blowing experience under his belt. Maybe he will concur with you or maybe he will concur with the others. All depends on his needs and expectations.

If he agrees with you, my feelings won't be hurt and if he agrees with myself or the others, I will not pound my chest and claim victory. I will simply be happy for him and move on.

Unwind a bit and enjoy your evening.:)

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #63  
Well, it was only 3-4 inches so far but I also had some drifts. Of course it's no real test but the blower did great. Turns out it can also be used as a cultivator by the average novice, lol. We are still getting snow so I will need to clear it again tomorrow.

Although there isn't a sheet of ice yet, I didn't spin once. I think the tire grooving does help.

Here's a Christmas looking before along with a during and an after. I did clean up and get everything melted of course.
That's a sweet setup!

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #65  
That will be a great snow mover for you Rob. I had a five foot 3-point blower on my first tractor. Ford 1700 4WD. I used it for 27 years - until I got my Kubota M6040. Now I have enough tractor weight and can use a rear blade only.

Be sure you do a FOD search of any area you will be blowing. "Strange things" will cause a shear pin to break. Chunk of log - T-145 steel fence post - large rock - large chunks of ice. You get the idea.

Odd things I have "blown" - chipmunks and mice. They would dig tunnels in the driveway berms. Motoring along - blowing back a berm. You hear a soft "thunk" and a brown object get thrown 40 to 50 feet off to the side.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #66  
Whatever. Just relating my experience as it pertains to different snow conditions and how much power is required to clear it. Don't really care one way or another and over the years I've found opinions are just that. Nothing more (mine included). Far as I'm concerned the blower is too big for the output of the tractor. That is determined from my personal experience. Not an opinion.

I don't own it. Not my issue. My equipment is matched to my tractors, perfectly.

You all have a great day, I'm done with this thread.

That will be a great snow mover for you Rob. I had a five foot 3-point blower on my first tractor. Ford 1700 4WD. I used it for 27 years - until I got my Kubota M6040. Now I have enough tractor weight and can use a rear blade only.

Be sure you do a FOD search of any area you will be blowing. "Strange things" will cause a shear pin to break. Chunk of log - T-145 steel fence post - large rock - large chunks of ice. You get the idea.

Odd things I have "blown" - chipmunks and mice. They would dig tunnels in the driveway berms. Motoring along - blowing back a berm. You hear a soft "thunk" and a brown object get thrown 40 to 50 feet off to the side.
Thanks for the post. I hadn't given too much thought about FOD. Have you ever had a squirrel get caught up? Would that meke it a flying squirrel then?

Whatever. Just relating my experience as it pertains to different snow conditions and how much power is required to clear it. Don't really care one way or another and over the years I've found opinions are just that. Nothing more (mine included). Far as I'm concerned the blower is too big for the output of the tractor. That is determined from my personal experience. Not an opinion.

I don't own it. Not my issue. My equipment is matched to my tractors, perfectly.

You all have a great day, I'm done with this thread.
I appreciate everyone's input and experience 5030. Thank you for yours as well.

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #69  
Oosik makes a very good point about searching in advance of blowing. My first year blowing was a real eye opener. Back then my snow removal method was to plow my 1 mile long driveway, as it is faster to plow than to blow, until there was no room left to push the snow and then I would break out the rear facing blower and proceed to back all the way down one side and back up the other. That was a real pain in the neck. It was also very slow going because I was blowing snow that had been repeatedly packed over and over again plus it was stacked high on the sides. So first year I didn't check for things that might get caught in the blower and didn't think it would be an issue, since all the rocks and such would be plowed off to the sides. Big mistake because all those rocks and such were in the snow piled up on the sides of the driveway. That first winter I ran into some big rocks that stopped the blower and tractor in its tracks. Back to the house to replace shear pins. But in one case a large (12" diameter) rock managed to get jammed between the auger and side plate, causing the plates to spread and the auger fell out. Now I always do a drive over to search for snowblower enemies and I search wider than I expect to blow.

I always look forward to getting back into the tractor and dealing with snow, now that I have a cab tractor but that wanes toward the end of winter, when I start looking forward to summer activities.

Enjoy your new tractor and blower, in your heated cab. (y)

/ The M7040 got a 7' snow blower today :) #70  
One thing I didn't see in this thread is which transmission you have and wether or not you have creeper gears. My previous Massey had creeper gears and I used those most of the time when I was blowing. However, as mentioned earlier I was blowing very compact snow. My new tractor has HST and I can go as slow or fast as needed plus I am only blowing fresh snow, which makes a huge difference.