Buying Advice The money sense of tractor buying

/ The money sense of tractor buying
My blood line is not that good. Everyone died before their 72nd birthdate. Time is running out if that's any indication. I've been dead once (or so they tell me) and their wasn't much fuss. At least it taught me how to do it with aplomb so I m not the one concerned about that aspect. My wife however is the bean counter in the family and she is a bit more pragmatic bless her little arithmetic heart. She would be more pleased to buy another when the current tractor breaks and I can get no more parts. I think she is playing the waiting game. Such treachery. If it does break, I'll be forced to buy used as Jim above has stated. If I trade in now, I get a brand new tractor for almost the same money and a more powerful one to boot. I think that in itself is a good argument....but then there's her waiting game. Here's my plan: first I am going to give her the book "Abe Lincoln Vampire Killer" to read. She reveres him even though he may have been a few kernals short on the cob. Im gonna make two puncture marks in my neck with my trusty awl and take away that side of her assertion hoping she'll be just a little influenced by the book. Gosh its always fun at my house.

/ The money sense of tractor buying #12  
If your current 750JD is in good shape and you just want more lift capacity with the Forks, get a direct attachment fork (remove the bucket) and you will be 1) minus the bucket weight and 2) closer to the tractor so your lift capacity will go up more than double the 300# you have now. Everything Attachments can fix you up for about the price of one tractor note. I doubt that you have a QA FEL and if you use the bucket a lot in winter also, it might be worthwhile to fit a QA adapter to your FEL. This is all assuming that SWMBO cant be won over to new tractor.

/ The money sense of tractor buying #13  
My blood line is not that good. Everyone died before their 72nd birthdate. Time is running out if that's any indication. I've been dead once (or so they tell me) and their wasn't much fuss. At least it taught me how to do it with aplomb so I m not the one concerned about that aspect. My wife however is the bean counter in the family and she is a bit more pragmatic bless her little arithmetic heart. She would be more pleased to buy another when the current tractor breaks and I can get no more parts. I think she is playing the waiting game. Such treachery. If it does break, I'll be forced to buy used as Jim above has stated. If I trade in now, I get a brand new tractor for almost the same money and a more powerful one to boot. I think that in itself is a good argument....but then there's her waiting game. Here's my plan: first I am going to give her the book "Abe Lincoln Vampire Killer" to read. She reveres him even though he may have been a few kernals short on the cob. Im gonna make two puncture marks in my neck with my trusty awl and take away that side of her assertion hoping she'll be just a little influenced by the book. Gosh its always fun at my house.

ROTFLMAO ...... :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

/ The money sense of tractor buying #14  
Fake the injury. Make her buy the oil. See what happens.

The down side always is ... once we are crippled or gone they have to figure out how to get what we did done. It's actually in her best interest to keep you as strong and healthy as possible. Only you know your wife. So you need to figure out how to make the point without pissing her off.

My wife is 9 yrs younger and an engineer. So all I had to do was ask her the question; let her think about it; and come to the realization that she can't do it and I work "cheap".

Your mileage may vary:shocked:

/ The money sense of tractor buying #15  
If your loader is JDQA compatible, get the Artillian forks. Pull the bucket and replace it with the forks which weigh the same. Forks can handle 2300lbs, so the limit will be your loader . my 2520 will lift about 1000lbs of wood on pallets.

/ The money sense of tractor buying #16  
That is part of my reasoning for wanting a new one. My current JD 750 will only lift a small amount of wood on pallets and I guess not even 300 Ilbs worth. Does not make it feasible to load wood on pallets as it would take too many. By your calculations and the cost of fuel for both the chainsaw and tractor, I'd pay for the new one in about 4-5 years. Not bad in my mind. Thanks for the input!

If you had QA forks and got rid of the bucket, you could increase your lifting capacity by about 200# or so...

That said, you should consider buying a newer used Deere. A 790 or 4300 (with the 430 loader) would be excellent choices and not break the bank.

/ The money sense of tractor buying #17  
Well if you are cutting your own wood then its more or less free so you are saving $3000 annually probably vs oil but there are more efficient boilers out there too - if you have FHW heat - we cut 400 gal a year by changing boilers. You could also get a 3PT pallet fork setup that will lift a decent skid of wood too - I know thats counterprodcutive to getting a new tractor..

Your savings over 30 years with wood heat are more than enough to justify a $12K expenditure - the ROI is 4 years of wood heat so thats the argument and then the value of the tractor you buy vs your 750 will be higher. Look around and see what 750 are selling for vs what you paid - lets just say you paid $9K for the 750 and today its worth $6K for example and you owned it 10 years thats $300 a year depreciation - and if a new machine is $20K apply this math to your argument for her arthimetic mind to consider..

It takes time and persistence..

/ The money sense of tractor buying #18  
a tractor is a tool an a investment.an only you can decide if you want a new tractor an will get the use an enjoyment out of it.i use the tractor on the farm to get things done.so like 3R i just buy when an what i need todo the jobs.an when im gone the equipment will still get used.

/ The money sense of tractor buying #19  
I cut wood because I enjoy it.

I burn wood because I enjoy it.

I have a tractor because I enjoy it.

Cost and money saved doesn't really matter. But the benefits are in our favor...

/ The money sense of tractor buying #20  
Arrow: I'd go ahead and buy what you want if you can afford it. Age wouldn't matter to me. Heck, a 20 year old man has no assurance that he'll live to reach 21.

A wise man once told me: "It's better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission." Of course, he's dead now... His wife killed him - lol

I tell my buddies (when they ask if my wife knows I'm thinking about buying another tractor), "She's on a 'Need-to-Know-Basis', and she doesn't need to know :)

We refinanced our house a few years ago and took $ money out so my wife could have built what she's always dreamed about - a built-in pool. She got a pool, I got a new roof for the house and garage. Sounded fair to her...

We are as close to the Beverly Hillbillies as you can get: She has a cement pond, I have a hen-hose 100' from it and 3 coon dogs in a kennel not far from there... And I need a Kubota to help keep up with out 16 acres. One tractor just ain't enough!

I better get off of this computer... I still need to mow around the pool before she gets home from work!