The most fun...

/ The most fun... #1  

paccorti

Gold Member
Tractor
TC35D with 16LA Loader
Ok, tractor is fueled and ready to go. You have a loader and probably other implements. What is the most fun thing to do on the tractor (not involving the wife) /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. I've done enough rotary cutting. It's ok but not huge fun. I like using the loader personally. I love setting it on float and scooping just the right amout of dirt (unfortunetly this occurs about 1/4 the time). I'm sure a backhoe is fun but I don't have one. Besides "del" flying down a hill what else is fun? Knocking down trees, plowing, tilling?

Peter

/ The most fun... #2  
Pete, I look forward to gettin' up before the sun rises in the east and drivin' my Cummins powered Dodge pickup out to the barn and startin' up the Boomer and drivin' along my south fence line, due east, real slow, with an apple fritter in one hand and a mug of coffee in the other, while I keep an eye out for a herd of deer or a bunch of turkeys! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'd probably be bushhoggin' too--but not necessarily!!! Oh well, I haven't done it yet but I can sure picture it in my mind! Might even get my sweetheart of 27 years to help me break it in REAL GOOD!!!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Sam

"I love the smell of diesel in the morning."
Cummins powered 24V Dodge Rams rule!

/ The most fun... #3  
The loader is fun! It's amazing how quickly you learn during the first 10 or so hours of use. I dug up a section of turf, placed the dirt in a pile. Following week, I moved the dirt back. I know, it sounds like an Army exercise in Boot Camp.! But I learned to get the feel of the tractor, and that allowed me to take on more purposeful task. So play, and have fun.

What is NOT fun…. Do not read articles out lately about how experts are projecting very high (record) heating fuel (and therefore diesel fuel) prices this winter!

/ The most fun... #4  
Ahh thats a easy question to answer.
There nothing like plowing after a big snowstorm up here in the northeast,/w3tcompact/icons/smile.giffor one loses a some cabin fever also stay in touch w/ there tractor,thats as long as the wind chill fair..yikes./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Stay safe and /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ The most fun... #5  
Before getting the tractor, we would carry the sap buckets to roadside and fill the collection tank in the pickup. This year I'm going to mount the collection tank on the tractor, take it into the sugarbush and hopefully save on shoe leather.

/ The most fun... #6  
I hate to disagree with you guys, but I think you're missing the boat./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The MOST fun with the tractor (and naturally the thing I get to do very little of) is hooking the little 5' x 10' trailer on behind the tractor, loading a couple of lawn chairs, ice chest, and fishing tackle in it, driving through the woods down to the creek and backing the trailer up to the edge of the creek in the shade of the trees, popping open a cold beer, and not really caring whether the fish are biting or not./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ The most fun...
Bird,

Hey I like that. Kind of tractor based camping! Reminds me I always wanted to try one of those dirt motorcycle vacations. You stay at some ranch or b in b and drive dirt bikes all day long. Hey that gives me an idea. I could start a tractor ranch! I could have contests among the attendees. Who can dig the fastest driveway, who can install the most fence posts. Plus I'd get free work done...

Peter

/ The most fun... #8  
Land is unique among all things; it is forever.

I grew up in NYC and always hated yard work. When I bought my first house in Austin, Texas, I had a yard. Every weekend I sweated in the 98 degree heat--never 100, never 95, always 98--mowing and trimming and edging my 1/3 acre, and hated it. Absolutely hated it. Vowed I would never do yardwork again. That was 1979.

Later, when living in Malibu and San Jose, California, and in Woodstock, NY, I deliberately had small yards that my wife mowed. In Tallahassee, we had an acre and hired someone. Hated it; avoided it.

Bought 10 acres here in CT in '91 and hired someone to cut one acre of lawn and let everthing else go wild until last year. Then we bought another acre adjacent to our front lawn to prevent a house from being built. Paid through the nose and had a one acre lawn installed.

The bargain I made with the Financial Devil to purchase the land is that I would stop hiring out the work and do it myself. I dreaded it. Hated the thought.

Bought a DR brush cutter and swappable lawn deck. Started brush cutting by my creek because that seemed more interesting than lawn mowing. Last summer WE had the drought and heat wave. It took me seven full days in 90 degree weather to cut two acres of 10' tall phragmites and brambles.

I liked it. I looked forward to it. I took off days from work to brush cut. I mowed. Didnt like it as much as brush cutting, but looked forward to it too. Realized I had the wrong tools and began thinking about a small tractor.

Why do I like it? How did revulsion become attraction? What changed?

I think it is feeling at one with the land, the eternal thing. It is MY land. I am changing it. Improving it. I am proud.

I feel that I am involved in the process of creation.

/ The most fun... #9  
I like to move dirt. I use a box blade and the loader and keep the tractor moving until a hump, ditch or or hill becomes flat and level. After a frustrating and stressful day it is fun and satisfying to go do something where I am totally in control of the outcome and the only person who I have to make happy is me.

/ The most fun... #10  
I enjoy working/mowing with my tractor, because when I'm done, I can see that I've accomplished something. In my normal job, I interview people then write reports. The only accomplishment I can see is if my piles of paperwork get smaller, or in most cases bigger. There is nothing like getting out on the land and manicuring or clearing. And there is nothing like the smell of diesel while doing it.