??The most popular tractor in the world??

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #71  
I don't know if we ended up with a definitive answer to the question, as I ended up scanning many of the posts in this thread, since it is an old one...

And I don't think 5030 replied after his initial post... unless I missed it.

I can report that about 12 years ago I had the opportunity to visit 5030, and remember along with his Kubota he had a large red beast... I think it was a MF... perhaps that was the hint he alluded to...

Bill

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #72  
I live in farm country, see a lot more John Deere's than anything else.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #73  
If you go by Wikipedia, M-F is the most sold tractor in the world. If you also go by Wikipedia, Mahindra is the most sold tractor in the world. Massey, Massey-Harris, then Massey-Harris-Ferguson, next shortened to Massey-Ferguson has had such a checkered history of mergers, acquisitions, financial failures, government bailouts, license to build by other companies, and currently just one of many trade names of AGCO that it would be impossible to know how many tractors have been built with the Massey or any combination using Massey were built. Currently under AGCO they are a major player but are not the world's largest producer. Currently M-F tractors are made in Beauvais, France, and Jackson, Minnesota. These are the larger Ag tractors that are the backbone of the AGCO product. The same tractors are built under the Challenger name for sale by Caterpillar dealers since AGCO bought Challenger from Caterpillar. Are those M-F tractors? How can one compare with CNH? There were Case tractors, International Harvester tractors, Ford tractors, Fiat tractors, and Ford built Challenger tractors for Caterpillar (are they Fords or Caterpillars), then Ford became New Holland which merged with Case International and was taken over by Fiat, named CNH with the same tractors being sold under multiple brand names in North America, but North America is only a small portion of worldwide sales. I've shown Wikipedia is no reliable source as they cite multiple companies being the largest producer by volume. As for models one can go to Yesterday's Tractors and get the volumes of older models like the Farmall H and Ford 8N. The volumes of those tractors are actually surprisingly small considering the time span during which they were built; however, today models change do fast there are not many years production.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #74  
Good stuff right there. :)

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #75  
I guess this was meant to be a fun thread. As a practicle matter, I like to own machines that are plentiful in my area so parts will also be plentiful. It's a pitty my MF 261 is relatively rare.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #76  
I guess this was meant to be a fun thread. As a practicle matter, I like to own machines that are plentiful in my area so parts will also be plentiful. It's a pitty my MF 261 is relatively rare.

That was my point wayyyyy back when I said we need clarity and definition of the term popular.

I've never heard the owner of a 4020 JD have anything but good comments about it. But it's probably not in the top ten list of most sold.

This thread should have been titled most popular brand since that's what everyone wants to talk about....

There are several Masseys that I consider very popular.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #77  
Ovrszd,
Got it, Thanks.
I've seen those popular Masseys on Tractorhouse.com . There'll be a long list of them and on a good day maybe 3 to 5 of mine in the whole nation.

/ ??The most popular tractor in the world?? #78  
When I was searching for a mid size tractor I looked hard for a good Massey. In the search I stumbled onto the Ford that I bought.

As a kid our neighbor had a Massey 165. Man I loved running that tractor!!! We had small Fords.