The new 700ft driveway

/ The new 700ft driveway #21  
Had a tri-axle load delivered for $250 this summer here. I'm guessing that's about 20 tons.

/ The new 700ft driveway #22  
The last time I bought gravel it was around $12 a ton, delivered or picked up. Prices have been going up however since one international conglomerate (Hanson PLC) has bought up all the mines. I've been told that the prices get higher the closer the mine is to Cincinnati (we are 60 miles away).

With all of the limestone mines around here, the local concrete company built a new concrete plant on the river and get their gravel via river barge. Seems crazy but I'm sure it's cost justified.

/ The new 700ft driveway #23  
I am a little north of you and last fall paid $10.80 per tonne delivered. I am around 15 miles from Sutherland's Keppel Pit. How is your drainage on your land? I am in north Derby and have really rocky soil and but good drainage on my property.

/ The new 700ft driveway #24  
I started the summer weekend job on my property and the first project on this year is to put a 700ft driveway from the entrance gate to the site of the future house and barn. The driveway will have a portion of 250ft on a small hill with approx 8-10deg slope. I used so far my tractor with the box blade to dig out around 2" of soil; it is a hard soil and very compact, so I'm planning to remove just 4" of it. I"l use the 200lb geotextile material and then compact 6 of gravel. Do you see any potential issue here? I checked in one spot how deep the soil goes and just after 18" I found some layers of gravel/sand. Here are some pictures.

Good job :)
A couple of things to keep in mind is where will the water go in the spring and when it rains. Geotextile works well but if the water cannot get away it acts like a sponge. If you are going to build on soil you might want to think about keeping a good crown and a good ditch line to deal with run off.

/ The new 700ft driveway #25  
Yard of Drain Rock $59.50 plus delivery of $125... so I use my trailer 1 yard at a time.

Other places are up to as much as $75 a yard... SF Bay Area.

Olympia WA $20 a ton, full load delivered and spread.

Last edited:
   / The new 700ft driveway #26  
Just a quick update of the project. Taking the good advice from you guys I asked my neighbour to came with his toy and dig out the entire top soil. He worked for all day digging out 12" or more in some spots, so now the driveway is ready for the geotextile and gravel. Also, I got a quote for gravel (up to 6") at 5.5$/tone delivered.
My son is very happy as he already started to laydown the trailer bike with soil removed. I attached some pictures for reference.

What is the market like for soil in your area?

/ The new 700ft driveway #28  
I would rock my entire yard at some of the prices yall list. Limestone is $46 a ton delivered or $29 a ton if you pick it up around me. I need 30 tons right now just not ready to drop $1400 for it.

/ The new 700ft driveway
Just another update of the weekend project. I was able to laydown the geotextile material on the barn site and driveway but, I still need another 150ft of material. I think I will ignore it and not spend another $400 for a roll of 450ft; in special that portion is on the hill. To be sure the wind will not blow the material I used a lot of stones and some cedar logs (I attached some pictures). I hope the guy will bring the gravel next week and then I can rent a compactor to play with it and start using the road as is so annoying living the car at the entrance and walk with all the staff.

Attachments

• IMG-20130810-00002.jpg
    IMG-20130810-00002.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG-20130810-00004.jpg
    IMG-20130810-00004.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG-20130810-00005.jpg
    IMG-20130810-00005.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG-20130810-00006.jpg
    IMG-20130810-00006.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 219
   / The new 700ft driveway #30  
I've never seen anyone dig a flat trench and line it before gravel ,I'll bet it won't last a year with no way for water to run off it will turn into a mud pit , and why would you start laying the cloth on the flat section instead of the hill first ? I wouldn't have dug down at all instead I would have built up and added run off from the center with drainage trench on each side to carry water away from it ,The way it looks to me is the water will run into it and mud city here you come .I suggest you lift the geotextile and lay tons of crusher run gravel up to 3 inches above the grade dig runoff trenches compact it all then replace the geo material and another 4 inches of gravel compacted . I hope it works out for you .

Last edited: