Buying Advice The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors....

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #61  
I can't figure out why JD uses something different than the others except to have you come back to them for equipment.
Many first time tractor buyers may not know that manufactures of equipment may offer their attachments with the JD style QA, so they return to JD

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #62  
I can't figure out why JD uses something different than the others except to have you come back to them for equipment.
Many first time tractor buyers may not know that manufactures of equipment may offer their attachments with the JD style QA, so they return to JD

To be fair to JD, their QA system has advantages over SSQA, expecially for lower capacity machines. Those advantages just aren't enough to be worth trading the value of having the common adapter, and being forced to either hunt around, custom order, or convert every attachment you want to use.

SSQA is, frankly, a new thing for these machines that started about the same time grapples became popular on them. I'm not saying it's a fad that will fade out, but it's new, and JD has a lot of cost wrapped up in their proprietary mount and I can see why they'd be reluctant to kill it off.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #63  
There is a lot of misunderstanding about the JDQA system. There are a number of third party suppliers that make pallet forks, bale spears, etc for the JDQA system. I've never bought any because I build my own, which is very easy with basic welding capability. I've built a pallet fork and a 3 point quick hitch attachment for my loader so I'm pretty well set for anything unless I need a grapple (which is unlikely considering the size of my tractor). With a small tractor (like mine) you would lose a lot of lifting capacity with a SSQA.

If you move to the over 50HP range, I can see wanting a SSQA, but as noted, that is available for the JD.

I feel sorry for those whose dealers are not responsive. If that's the case, it probably would rule out JD. My dealer is a mega Ag dealer (I think they own 6 dealerships and sell mostly 6 figure equipment) but whenever I come in they are very helpful and responsive.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #64  
An option that I should have purchased is the quick attach for the FEL.

What the poster is saying here is get the quick attach bucket (SSQA) as all of the loaders will be quick attach to the tractor, but on the lower end tractors they will not have a quick detachable bucket. It will be bolted on. And as you have found out, the John Deere's have a proprietary system for their quick attach. Of course most of their tractors can be ordered with the more industry standard SSQA (Skid Steer Quick Attach) which is not proprietary and is universal across brands.

With SSQA you will be free to purchase pallet forks, grapples, hay spears etc that can go on the front of your FEL (Front End Loader) arms in a few seconds from any manufacture. As our downunder friend pointed out, there is nothing wrong with the JDQA on JD machines, but it is proprietary to John Deere machines. As for why JD made their own proprietary mount, well you will have to ask them. But I suspect that it may have had something to do with selling front implements.. Just saying. :)

I made the mistake of not getting SSQA on a Kubota tractor I once owned, and I paid dearly to add it at a later date. It was still worth adding, but it will cost a lot less up front. Lower cost tractors are manufactured to meet a price point. SSQA is one of the first things they trim off, other things are extendable (telescoping) lower links and sway bars on the 3 point hitch. These are considered "luxury" items by some, but the amount of sweating, knocking and cursing you will do to get hooked up on the 3 point hitch is up to you. At my age, I don't consider these items luxury's at all, I consider them necessities. In any case, tractors built to a price point will often omit things that you wish you had later on.

I have an open station tractor, as I live in the woods, but If I was going to mow about 20 acres and had fewer trees, I would seriously consider the cab. Allergies and stinging insects alone would help make that decision, let alone sweltering heat. :). I don't have a trailer either. One advantage of NOT having a trailer is when the in-laws want to "borrow" your tractor, you can truthfully say, "I have no way of transporting it". :)

Kioti and LS are up and coming Korean brands of tractors and are certainly worth a look. These competing brands will often offer more features for the money. I sure have been happy with my Kioti, and I have owned several Kubota's and a New Holland in the past. I wish you the best of luck in your tractor search and hope you have many happy years maintaining your new property.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #65  
If you will only finish mow one acre, consider using a riding lawn mower. It will cost about half of a MMM and not tear up or rut your lawn like a tractor will. You can likely buy a zero turn for what a mmm will cost and you will cut the lawn in half the time. Plus the advantage of not having to connect and disconnect a mmm.

Brush hogging the rest of your land is going to get real old real quick especially if you do not spring for a cab. If you have farmers near you, see if they would be interested in putting in a crop. We did that when I was a kid and it worked out well. At least you will make money on the land instead of investing in a 40+HP tractor, a bush hog, the fuel to run it, and your time.

And if the crop will attract deer, you can hunt off the back porch and get some venison too!! I do that.

You may want a tractor but do you need one?

One last thing. These things can kill you. Look at all the YouTube stuff, read about tractor accidents and GO SLOW. Like you, I am new to tractors so I have a lot to learn. Also like you I have twenty acres, and if I did not want to process firewood, put in food plots and maintain my driveway, I would not own one. But I only have $6000 in mine including all the attachments I need...you will be spending a lot of money to cut grass and weeds.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but think about it anyway.

Last edited:
   / The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #66  
... With SSQA you will be free to purchase pallet forks, grapples, hay spears etc that can go on the front of your FEL (Front End Loader) arms in a few seconds from any manufacture. As our downunder friend pointed out, there is nothing wrong with the JDQA on JD machines, but it is proprietary to John Deere machines. As for why JD made their own proprietary mount, well you will have to ask them. But I suspect that it may have had something to do with selling front implements.. Just saying. :)

James, my point to the OP and, I can see, to others others is that you are just as "free to purchase pallet forks, grapples, hay spears etc that can go on the front of your FEL (Front End Loader) arms in a few seconds from any manufacture". When I say 'any manufacturer' I am referring to the implement manufacturer, not the tractor manufacturer.

Whilst there are a multitude of implements available for a Skid Steer, there is a very small number of implements used on a tractor's FEL. My only John Deere branded/manufacturer FEL implement is a 4in1 bucket. My combination (swap-able) pallet-forks/bale-spear is from an independent manufacturer that was simply ordered with the JDSQ fittings to match my FEL... no different than were I to ordered it for blot-on, SSQA or GlobalQA.

As to why JD came up with their 'own' QA system... I'd have to ask why the other manufacturers have opted for a QA system that was designed for a Skid Steer. The SSQA is over-kill for what a tractor FEL is designed to do. (even though 'we' tend to abuse the heck out of our FELs... on occasion, of course :))

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #67  
Welcome! There are plenty of more experienced guys on here to help you with tractors and tools but I will make a comment on a cab. My second hand Case IH came with a cab although I had no desire to have one (we live in a relatively mild climate). However, one day whilst using the FEL and bucket on a tough job a hydraulic hose suddenly burst on the arm of the FEL. The hot (presumably carcinogenic) oil sprayed on to the front window of the cab covering it. Had I not had the cab I would have been drenched and possibly injured. Surprisingly, I now advocate cabs for health reasons (and they are warmer in winter). :)

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #68  
I'm not surprised the JD dealer blew you off when you came into their shop. All the "big brand" dealers treated me the exact same way, wouldn't have cared if I'd have burst into flames in the middle of their dealer showroom. Any business that treats me like that doesn't see my shadow darken their doorway again. When I was tractor shopping, I was in serious need of a tractor *right now*. I wasn't tire kicking.

I ended up buying my dealer, not my brand. I'd never heard of Branson tractors until I found this dealer.

Anyway,

I would look at a rig with at least 30 hp minimum *at the pto*, and not necessarily what is produced at the engine crankshaft. It's the pto power that drives the tools. And a tractor is ultimately a power source for a tool, mower, tiller, chipper, etc. Also, like others have said, I would be looking at tractors big and heavy enough that you really don't want to be driving them across your actual lawn areas around your house. So, a riding mower for the actual "lawn" grass is a good idea. Weight is normally your friend. My cabbed tractor weighs 4100 lbs "bare tractor" weight. Means no FEL and no attachment on the rear 3 pt. I did have my rear tires filled with Rimguard, which helps substantially with traction and stability. With the FEL, bucket, filled rear tires, and 6' box blade on the rear 3 pt hitch, my tractor weighs 7100 pounds. That's a lot of traction weight that I appreciate having.

I have 32 hp at my pto, and I run a 6' medium duty brush hog. I almost never have power issues, and can normally mow at a forward speed that is only regulated by the smoothness of the ground. Too rough a ground and you're going to slow down anyway. My road ditches are usually pretty smooth, but my pasture is pretty darn rough, so I go slower there. I've had no problems hogging 2" brush, or weeds and small brush 5' to 6' high.

I absolutely LOVE my cab! For obvious reasons right now, it was -33 F here at the house this morning. I didn't have to push snow this morning, but with a heated cab, I'm insulated from the cold, can push snow in a sweatshirt and jeans, and I'm isolated from any winds. Pretty sweet. During the summer, it can get over 90 F here, and the humidity can also get to 90 %. Having a cab with A/C, a radio, cruise control (for the smooth parts) means I'm always comfortable. After a day of mowing mine and my neighbor's pastures and road ditches, I come out of the cab clean and not wiped out from the heat. On the occasions where I kick up a wasp/hornet nest while mowing, I can chuckle and keep going as they buzz angrily around my cab, until they finally lose interest and buzz off.

Make sure you look at lift specs on your prospective models. I was quite surprised to see how pathetic some of the specs were on a few of the "name brand" tractors. Look at both FEL specs, AND 3 pt specs. Also adjustable lift arms on BOTH sides of the 3 pt shouldn't be something you have to order separately. Things like mirrors, steps, front and rear work lights, cruise control, linked pedals, diff lock, SSQA compatible FEL, are all things you really shouldn't have to pay extra to get, just because it's a "big name" brand and color.

Interview as many dealers as you can. It's a job interview. You're hiring one of them to be *your* tractor dealer. Drive as many tractors as you can as well as every brand you can sit your butt in, too.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #69  
James, my point to the OP and, I can see, to others others is that you are just as "free to purchase pallet forks, grapples, hay spears etc that can go on the front of your FEL (Front End Loader) arms in a few seconds from any manufacture". When I say 'any manufacturer' I am referring to the implement manufacturer, not the tractor manufacturer.

Whilst there are a multitude of implements available for a Skid Steer, there is a very small number of implements used on a tractor's FEL. My only John Deere branded/manufacturer FEL implement is a 4in1 bucket. My combination (swap-able) pallet-forks/bale-spear is from an independent manufacturer that was simply ordered with the JDSQ fittings to match my FEL... no different than were I to ordered it for blot-on, SSQA or GlobalQA.

As to why JD came up with their 'own' QA system... I'd have to ask why the other manufacturers have opted for a QA system that was designed for a Skid Steer. The SSQA is over-kill for what a tractor FEL is designed to do. (even though 'we' tend to abuse the heck out of our FELs... on occasion, of course :))

You make a good point, as now many other 3rd party manufactures will make a JD matched front implement. Although often at a slight additional charge.