Buying Advice The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors....

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #41  
I've tried google with no result but is there a site that gives the price of each tractor brand with the same set-up? In other words where you can see what a JD with loader versus a Kubota with loader, so an apples to apples comparison.

Shop your weight range within tractor brands. Weight is the only way to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Budget will eliminate some choices. Collect a dealer brochure for each tractor model in your weight range. I spreadsheet tractor and implement specs, often a revealing exercise. I have a column for cost per pound.

No. You have to create your own spreadsheet.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #42  
   / The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #43  
Lots of good advice here. when you go to the dealers tell them what your experience is and what you intend to do with the tractor in the next 5,10,15 years. That way you have a better chance of getting what you want even though it may not be the cheapest. Just remember Dealer Service after the sale is one of, If not the most important aspects of owning a NEW tractor. In my opinion RK has not been around long enough as a tractor dealer to be a proven dealer yet. not to say they will not be, they are working hard at it, And as a troubling side note, They may be TYM tractors, but call TYM and ask if they will service an RK tractor???? just in case they go the way of Cabelas.......... but if the green guys or the orange guy's or any other dealership is near make sure you give them a fair try even if they are a few bucks more.

My 2 cents on trailers get at least a 10k or 12k EQUIPMENT trailer. in the 20 22ft range. Why you ask? because if you do move your trailer the longer it is the easier it is to back, and a 16ft trailer loaded with a tractor, with loader, and a bush hog quickly hangs over the rear. Also most CAR trailers like the ones with the slide in ramps only have a 7500lb rating. YES there is a difference between an Equipment trailer and a Car trailer..........Also note Your 1500 Suburban can pull a lot of weight....Stopping that weight or Pulling it Safely and Legally....that's another thread...

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #44  
:welcome:

For open land without a lot of trees I would definitely get a cab if you can afford it. Of the three manufacturers you mentioned the RK will be hard to beat price wise. I can't say I wouldn't buy one but they don't give me comfort when thinking about future parts and service access. But then all manufactures will cut off parts for some models as time goes by so those concerns may be unwarranted.

I love working in my cabbed backhoe. I also enjoy my green tractor but not when it's too cold or hot. One day I may sell both and buy a good mid sized cab tractor.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #45  
I can see the logic in not outgrowing a 55HP tractor. However, consider what you're doing with it. If 90% of it's use is bush hogging or moving piles of mulch from A-B, that's a lot of tractor just to pull a bush hog. Diesel isn't free :) @45HP mine is oversized for a lot of what I do. Right sized for remainder - haven't felt like I needed more yet. I did feel that way a lot with a 25HP, but that was mainly due to it's physical size/weight and loader capability.

I know nothing about the RK tractors except watching a few of the Morgan's youtube videos. Seem nice. My only concern (other than not having a RK store in town) would be getting work done. Real nice warranty, but no idea how well a retail store handles service vs an outright tractor dealer? They could be exceptional service facilities for all I know....just would be a concern I'd have to explore before buying one. Prices look nice for the features.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #46  
I would not buy a package 7X16 trailer. I would not buy less than a 20' trailer with brakes for your area.

I have a 16' and had the L3800 (predecessor of the L3901 you're looking at). With a bush-hog attached, I had to have my loader bucket on the tongue and the bushhog would still be sitting off the back a little. To distribute the weight better and to have more implement room, I'd have gotten a 20' dovetail if doing it over again. I kept my 16' when I downsized to my BX, and it more suited for that load.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #47  
The RK guy said the 37 hp would be fine, but that he'd go with the 55 if I could swing it.....said that way I would never outgrow the tractor.

RK 37 has 30-PTO-hp. -- RK 55 has 44-PTO-hp.​

Rotary Cutter work is usually done in the MEDIUM range of a three range HST transmission. For 37-hp to 55-hp tractors practical ground speed range in medium range is 4 mph to 7 mph.

Here is a mowing calculator so you can estimate your mowing time with various width implements and tractor speeds from 4 mph to 7 mph. The range will be ~~3 acres to 4-1/2 acres~~ per hour.

Mowing Calculator | How many acres can I mow in an hour

Heavier tractors are constructed on larger frames and longer wheelbases. Heavier tractors are built with thicker steel to withstand greater stress. Heavier tractors with large diameter wheels/tires have more tractive power pulling ground contact implements, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Longer wheelbase and larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator perturbation and therefore mow at higher speed.

Last edited:
   / The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors....
Guys, I appreciate the wisdom.....I would never think I would need a 55hp but then the sales guys words starting creeping in my head. Yes, 90% of what I will be doing is grass cutting, installing 3 rail fencing and moving around some dirt, gravel etc. Even with the slope of the land surely the 35-39hp tractors will be enough...right?

I keep going back to the JD but was a little disappointed today because everyone in the store basically ignored me the entire time I was in the store. I went ahead and sat on a bunch of tractors but after 20 minutes left the store without getting any help. I'm hoping that was a fluke, but if I would have been ready to buy today I would have been tempted to leave and cross them off the list. Heading to Kubota tomorrow and also the Massey dealer. Will definitely be getting a cab model after more research and y'alls input. Dang, this is more exciting than buying a new car!

Thanks for the mowing per hour link......WOW, it looks like it may take a few days to get this land mowed.

/ The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #49  
1. I would never think I would need a 55hp but then the sales guys words starting creeping in my head. Yes, 90% of what I will be doing is grass cutting, installing 3 rail fencing and moving around some dirt, gravel etc. Even with the slope of the land surely the 35-39hp tractors will be enough...right?

2. I keep going back to the JD but was a little disappointed today because everyone in the store basically ignored me the entire time I was in the store. I went ahead and sat on a bunch of tractors but after 20 minutes left the store without getting any help. I'm hoping that was a fluke, but if I would have been ready to buy today I would have been tempted to leave and cross them off the list. Heading to Kubota tomorrow and also the Massey dealer. Will definitely be getting a cab model after more research.

1. You should be a able to decide what power tractor you want after fooling with the Mowing Calculator and pricing mowers.

A 35-hp (gross) to 40-hp (gross) tractor will be enough for a 60" heavy duty mower or a 72" medium or light duty mower.

A 55-hp (gross) tractor may power a 120" dual spindle mower....but I have no experience with RCs this wide. Dual spindle mowers are more complex and more expensive than single spindle mowers but will cut more acres per hour.

HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU WANT TO SPEND MOWING YOUR ACREAGE? It is your time and your money.

2. Others share your negative experience shopping Deere compact tractors. Deere hardly seems interested in customers without a desire for at least a 6,000 pound bare weight tractor.

Kubota has 50% market share in all tractors through 5,000 pounds bare weight, according to dealer reports excerpted on T-B-N.

You may find this interesting: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...defunct-tractor-manufacturers.html?highlight=

Yes, 90% of what I will be doing is grass cutting, installing 3 rail fencing and moving around some dirt, gravel etc.

My Kubota L3560 with LA805 FEL has a Loader lift capacity of 1,770 pounds.

With twenty acres will find many more uses for your tractor after it arrives then you ever imagine before. Trust me.

Last edited:
   / The new guys first post who knows nothing about tractors.... #50  
Sit on and drive the tractors. I thought I had my mind made up until I drove the one I thought I wanted.
On the John Deere, check front end loader. They use a Deere quick connect and other attachments are hard to find except from Deere. I think you can now order the Deere with the SSQA, which is what almost everyone else uses.