The New JD Pallet Forks came in today

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today #11  
Perhaps the floating forks allow you to change the distance between the forks for different shaped loads, or large rocks, etc.? I know the ones on the fork trucks they used in the plant I used to work in were that way. It made it nice for many tasks.

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today #12  
tact had it right. Both floating and fixed forks are adjustable side to side. Floating forks let you pick up loads better on uneven ground. It seems to me that fixed forks are a better option for a CUT since it allows some digging capabilities to get under rocks etc. Floating forks just stay on the surface with a fork lift, but with a CUT and rolling them forward you might be able to dig a little. This is the case with many Lulls. Floating forks will also make much more racket when moving over rough terrain with no load.

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today
chevy said:
The floating forks are mounted to a pipe at the top of the fork. The forks are not attached at the bottom. The can piviot on the pipe when tilt the bucket down. I am not sure what the purpose of that is. I owned a set of them. They were ok. I now have the fixed set & like them fine.

Chevy . you are correct. floating is useless , unless you work with only pallets. fixed are better for getting under logs and chunks of concreat
because you have down force....:)

tuolumne said:
That's about 700 lbs of lumber if it's doug fir and pretty wet.

Ya i figured it was 7 to 800 pounds. but it was no problem to move.
being 16 foot boards made it a little rocky. but i moved it down hill about 150 yards. sat them right down on cement blocks...:)

ChuckinNH said:
Perhaps the floating forks allow you to change the distance between the forks for different shaped loads, or large rocks, etc.? I know the ones on the fork trucks they used in the plant I used to work in were that way. It made it nice for many tasks.

the nice thing about fixed is, thay have a spring loaded lock pin. where you slide them thay stay. the floating slides on a pipe. and nothing to hold them in place...;)

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today #16  
Chris2520 said:
the nice thing about fixed is, thay have a spring loaded lock pin. where you slide them thay stay. the floating slides on a pipe. and nothing to hold them in place...;)

The floating set I owned had locking rings on each side of the forks. The rings had a bolt to tighten to hold them in place. I never used them.

Knowing what i know now. and useing the fixed forks. on a rail.
i would never want anything else. i am sure i will use mine alot.
like moveing the wood pile. i did that 5 min after i put them on. :)
i been wanting to move that for a while. but i was not going to carry 16 foot 2x6,s 150 yards one at a time...:(

I am sure Duc will get a set. He is just going to haft to break
into that piggy bank. he keeps all that landscape money in....:D

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today #18  
Chris2520 said:
I am sure Duc will get a set. He is just going to haft to break
into that piggy bank. he keeps all that landscape money in....:D

Yep I m just going to do such a thing -:)

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today #19  
I borrowed a set of John Deere forks a buddy bought for his 5103 and 512 loader. They have the correct width and top bracket but the pins are mounted too low. I was still able to use it just fine with my 300X loader. They were used to unload a new to me huge 5hp dust collector from a semi and used to lift the blower/motor assembly (230lbs) up so I could mount it too the stand. The variable spaced forks were awesome as I moved them in narrow when I lifted the assembly so I did not damage the bag mounting holes. My buddy is pplanning on moving soon and will sell his tractor and implements. I am on the list for the implements and if I own these forks a quick hole drilled and a zap with the welder and these forks will be custom fit for the 300/400 loader series.

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

/ The New JD Pallet Forks came in today #20  
Hello Chris - would you mind posting a closup of the fork carrier from above. I have a set ordered, but nothing has arrived yet! I would like to weld a reciever to the carrier for a 2" tube steel boom pole and I wonder if the alignment would allow that tube to clear the grill above. How easily can the forks be removed from the carrier if they got on the way of a bit of "crane work"? Thanks.