The "Perfect" Burger

/ The "Perfect" Burger #61  
The best for me is a mix of beef, deer and pork, ground together, salt and pepper. Pick a few ears of corn from the garden, shuck them and rub down with butter and grill beside the burger. Take some almost ripe pears and core leaving the bottom end closed off. fill with butter cinnamon and brown sugar and grill until done. Add the homemade buns and cooked onion, green pepper and mushrooms, that my wife has made and WOW.

/ The "Perfect" Burger #62  
Went to the store this afternoon and poked arount the ground beef area... most packages were to large for me. Went to the about to expire area and picked up a nice T bone marked way down... It's in the freezer now, just waiting for some nice weather before fixing. Like someone else posted a burger mixed with ranch dressing mix is really good.

mark

/ The "Perfect" Burger #63  
Hey Massey, we're looking for the best one, not the biggest one.

I know, and despite the "size" thing, the restaurant is said to have some of the "best" burgers out there. But if you want my take on the best DIY burger... I like to get the grill as hot as possible, then lightly seer the meat and cook it to a medium-rare state. Add toppings to suit, and you're in burger heaven.

/ The "Perfect" Burger
I'm with ya, I just happened to have some ground chuck that the wife picked up that day at the grocery store. I plan on heading over the the farmer's market/meat shop to get some "real" stuff. :licking:

The burgers came out awesome, I grilled some 3/8" onion slices for the top. :licking:

/ The "Perfect" Burger
Lots of great ideas, thanks guys. Swmbo is going to wonder why we're having burgers 7 days in a row. :laughing:

/ The "Perfect" Burger #66  
:drink:Now when you are talking about grilling, smoking or frying then that is right up my alley,:thumbsup:, well maybe not an alley,, more like down the street, no,, that’s not it either,, cross the pasture,, yea cross the pasture,:confused:, Take,, well don’t take,, buy some good ground beef, 90/10 angus, two pounds, one pound of hot pork breakfast sausage,, mix/blend together in large pan,, then add one packet of hidden valley ranch dressing,, blend and mix.. This will make 8 larger patties,, I know what you are thinking.. But Lou there is only one of me plus the better half,, but there are 8 buns in a bag,, wheee:duh: do I have to do all the thinking,, anyway my pit has a smoker on one end and butane grill on the other,, so I smoke four with live oak wood and grill four with propane at the same time..this way I am half green with the environment ,:cool2:, multi-tasking I call it,, all the time drinking cold beer,, nothing better than a cold beer and a burger on a hot sunny day or cold rainy day,,:licking: ,, Lou

/ The "Perfect" Burger
:laughing: Nice! :thumbsup:

/ The "Perfect" Burger #68  
Just having more fun.

Here is a picture of a bear that we ate. It was delicious, even at my age, I loved it. Sorry I don't have the recipe
View attachment 305985

Way back about 1973 (give or take a year), one of my brothers came down to visit from Alaska and he had shot a black bear that went in the record books; made a bearskin rug 8' 2" by 8' 4", and he brought us some bear steaks, roast, and ground meat, as well as an assortment of moose meat. We had a natural gas grill on the patio back then and I cooked that roast on the rotissirie, and grilled the steaks; all were good, though just a bit tough; result of a big old boar, I guess.

Since it's just the two of us now most of the time, I haven't made up my own burger patties in quite some time, but I know some other folks liked my recipe enough to use it for their parties. For a pound of 80/20 ground chuck (only ground beef I buy), I mixed in one beaten egg, a liberal dash of salt and pepper, a half to three-quarter cup of finely chopped onion, and one heaping tablespoon of KC Masterpiece original barbecue sauce. That made some pretty good burgers.

And last month, I bought a new Hamilton Beach Model 84131 LPG grill at a real bargain price.:laughing: A daughter told my wife about her and her husband buying one online from Sears for $79.96 plus tax; said they didn't have it in the store; had to order online and pick it up in the store. So I went online and sure enough there it was, but when I tried to order one, it came back "out of stock". I called and a lady I talked to supposedly checked and said they didn't have any within 300 miles.

Later, I was in the Sears Outlet store in the Grapevine Mills Outlet Mall and they had one on display and at least 5 new ones in the boxes, but priced at $199 (supposedly half price). I got the manager and told him about the website and he sold me one for $79.86 plus tax.:laughing:

So far, all I've used it for has been chicken once and ribeyes a couple of times, so we're happy with it.

/ The "Perfect" Burger #69  
Nobody has mentioned liquid smoke. I like 80% burger, puree an onion in the food processor and mix it in, liquid smoke and seasoned salt. If you prefer a traditional burger, leave out the onion. I use the bottom of two dinner plates covered in waxed paper as burger presses. It makes the burger thin enough to cook fairly fast.

When I have a crowd to cook for, I buy boxes of 1/3 lb. frozen burgers and season them with a brush of liquid smoke and a sprinkle of smoked salt.

/ The "Perfect" Burger #70  
Way back about 1973 (give or take a year), one of my brothers came down to visit from Alaska and he had shot a black bear that went in the record books; made a bearskin rug 8' 2" by 8' 4", and he brought us some bear steaks, roast, and ground meat, as well as an assortment of moose meat. We had a natural gas grill on the patio back then and I cooked that roast on the rotissirie, and grilled the steaks; all were good, though just a bit tough; result of a big old boar, I guess. .

My dad, grandfather & uncle were hunting in the Rose Peak area of the White Mtns. in north east AZ. They killed an old bear, none of them had had a bear steak for quite a long time. So they cooked up some steaks for dinner. They were so tough they could barley be cut with a knife. So they cut the bear up and gave it to the hounds. Even the hounds couldn't eat it. Wound up boiling it in an old tub, so the hounds could eat it.