THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE?

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #1  

frankbeam

Tractor
L3301
We have 47 hours on our L3301 Kubota. We have had to regenerate the DPF muffler every 20 hours. Is that the normal rate? Also, the exclamation point lamp has lit up. The manual cites engine warming issue but the temp reads cool. It tells us to contact the dealer. It is under warranty but they haven't come out yet now for a week waiting. In inspecting the engine we now see the plastic film over the air cleaner filter. How can that pertain? And what damage could that have on the engine on our new tractor?

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #2  
We have 47 hours on our L3301 Kubota. We have had to regenerate the DPF muffler every 20 hours. Is that the normal rate? Also, the exclamation point lamp has lit up. The manual cites engine warming issue but the temp reads cool. It tells us to contact the dealer. It is under warranty but they haven't come out yet now for a week waiting. In inspecting the engine we now see the plastic film over the air cleaner filter. How can that pertain? And what damage could that have on the engine on our new tractor?

Restricting air flow in a diesel will cause a lack of power and high combustion temperatures (high fuel to air ratio). If the airflow was really restricted severely, the engine would be hard starting and may have blackish smoke from the exhaust. Could be why you had to regen so often.

As far as engine damage, that's a question for the manufacturer and your dealer to answer.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #3  
Best not to touch it and let the dealer see it as is. If he is a decent dealer he will take up the matter with the manufacturer.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #4  
One would figure that the dealer should have noticed that before they handed over the keys to you.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #5  
Make sure you take pictures of the plastic film on the filter . Might come in handy if the manufacturer denies it during production or dealer during prep work .

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #6  
I would have the dealer run a compression check on the cylinders and compare that to specs. If the compression is good and it runs well with the filter straightened out I would move on. It should be noted though in your file in case an issue arises later.

My reason for checking compression, during break in you normally need to load the engine to seat the rings properly. With less air and less compression the rings may not break in correctly. The cylinders may need to be honed and new rings installed.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #7  
What part of the filter had this plastic film. In my mind I am thinking of plastic covering the air filter element and if that is the case, I cannot understand how the engine ran at all. Partial covering would result in problems like stated - lack of air resulting in possible over fueling that could create problems; however, your engine has a computer chip not roll that should detect out of normal parameters. In that case the exclamation mark should light but it should have done that from the start. It will be interesting to see what the dealer's mechanic finds.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #8  
What part of the filter had this plastic film. In my mind I am thinking of plastic covering the air filter element and if that is the case, I cannot understand how the engine ran at all. Partial covering would result in problems like stated - lack of air resulting in possible over fueling that could create problems; however, your engine has a computer chip not roll that should detect out of normal parameters. In that case the exclamation mark should light but it should have done that from the start. It will be interesting to see what the dealer's mechanic finds.

I agree that if the entire element was wrapped it would not start at all. Not familiar with the Kubota filters but if similar to Deere with the cylindrical shaped filters you could put the inner element in place with the shrink wrap but you would have to open up the end of the outer filter to get it in place over the inner filter.

Not clear on how much of this film was intact.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #9  
Would be great to see a picture. In my mind, the tractor would not even start or run if it was covered enough to matter.

/ THE PLASTIC FILM WAS LEFT ON THE AIR FILTER BY THE MFTR WHAT DAMAGE CAN THAT CAUSE? #10  
Or at the very least, an indication of plugged/dirty air filter. You would think that a diesel would have the suction to pull in some plastic wrapping. And that would be my next fear. Is any plastic missing?

Any Kubota filter I ever bought, just came in a box, if I think about it.