the politics/religion of tractors

/ the politics/religion of tractors #1  

SouthernMan

Tractor
'04 MF 471; '57 AC D-14; '58 AC D-14; '47 AC C
I hope I'm not duplicating some other topic, but I've been interested in something for a long time, and would love to have ya'lls input. I'd like to pose 3 questions, and provide my answers to them, and I'd love to know other folks' thoughts from all over...

I would theorize that many of us are biased toward one brand of tractor or another because of our upbringing. Just like politics and religion, what your family thought was right is likely what you now think is right - right?

Q1. Did/Does the type(s) of tractors you grew up around have any bearing on your purchase considerations?

Q2. What is/was the prevalent brand in your neck of the woods?

Q3. If so inclined, to what "party" do you most align with?
-------------------------------------------------------------------
A1. In my case, absolutely. you could say i was "pre-destined" to choose a particular tractor...I learned from an early age that "..Ferguson developed the 3-point hitch system that everyone else copied" - direct quote from my pa....and I took some heat when I bought an old Allis for rakin and bush hog work...

A2. MF's and Fords were - and are - ubiquitious here in Mid Tenn. On my Pa's farm, he owned 2 of each. I think JD's were more scarce simply because they were more expensive, and most farmers couldn't justify the extra cost.

A3. I am firmly in the MF camp...my father has owned 4 MF's, and I learned on 'em. The older folks used to talk about their reverence for those old 65's and 35's, and 135's, and 165's...etc. of course, many are the stories of those tough 8n's and Jubilees as well...just like members of the family..

thanks to any and all who post replies...SM

/ the politics/religion of tractors #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q1. Did/Does the type(s) of tractors you grew up around have any bearing on your purchase considerations?

)</font>

Q1 - I don't think I would be able to tell.
The farm I grew up on had so many different colors. There was JD, Oliver, International, Ford and MF

Q2 - I don't think there is one. Going down the road we have:
Me - JD
(next = next person down the road)
next - Kioti
next - NH
next - Oliver & International

Q3 - I guess I have to say none. I have 15 things to ride (cars, trucks, tractors, ATV's, ZTR, UTV...). Of those 15, there are 10 different manufacturers.

Oh well. I never fit into most theories or such anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ the politics/religion of tractors #3  
I don't think my experience would be much different than many of the folks who never owned a tractor and found TBN during their search for info. Brand bias was negligible.

During my teens I got to work a few summers in the 70's on a distant relative's dairy farm and that was my only exposure to tractors. All I recall them having were Allis Chalmer and a Cub, though a while back one of the relatives told me they had a Deutz for many years. I never paid much attention to it.

MF, Ford and Deere were the prevalent large agricultural tractors here, and probably in most of the US. Until I shopped around, I had no idea Kubota was an industry leader in the CUT market. An acquaintance with a horse farm loved his Kioti and recommended it to me, so I strongly considered that and still wonder if I shouldn't have gone that route for the money I would have saved.

Finally, I have a Kubota and like it, but feel no allegiance to any brand. The local MF/Branson dealer was a delight to talk tractors with and a fount of tractor wisdom. But Branson did not have the hydro I decided I wanted and the MFs were too expensive in our market. Similarly, the Kioti dealer seemed a good person to buy from. I went to two Deere, three Kubota and two NH dealerships, they did not seem as interested in helping me the way the Branson and Kioti dealers did.

Ultimately, I think I'll restate the purshasing advice to others most TBN people seem to begin with -- "It's the dealer, not the brand" that should create loyalty opportunities in the industry. Having shopped at my Kubota dealer last week for several implements, my buyer's remorse for not using the Kioti dealer that was so helpful in my pursuit of a CUT grows every time I need operating advice or price an implement.

/ the politics/religion of tractors #4  
Q1. Did/Does the type(s) of tractors you grew up around have any bearing on your purchase considerations?
<font color="blue"> No, not in the least </font>

<font color="blue"> JD, IH, MF in that order on farms, for households, Kubota, JD and lastly NH. Kubota being quite dominant in my area. </font>

<font color="blue"> I would say Kubota but would easily be open to any other </font>

/ the politics/religion of tractors #5  
A1: We only had Farmalls on our dairy farm. Ironically, I didn't like Deeres until my brother came back from the Navy and bought a 195X JD "50" with a Rollo-Matic and a handclutch. I really liked that tractor.
After Case bought out IH, we started getting more Deeres.

A2: Farms of any real size have albeit disappeared from the landscape in Southern Maine. All you see are Kubotas and Deeres (little ones, <50HP). Once in a while there will be a NH or Case-IH, but that's about it. You still see an antique from time to time, but gone are the Allis, Oliver, White and most of the IH (Case) dealers. My family still has a couple of ~130 HP deeres on their place. They sell beef and hay now.

A3: I firmly support Deere. I like Kubotas and many others, but the Deere dealers have treated us very well and so have the green machines they sell. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ the politics/religion of tractors #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q1. Did/Does the type(s) of tractors you grew up around have any bearing on your purchase considerations?)</font>
I came from another part of the world where tractors were rare. I came from a line of great land farmers. Communists took our land and killed my grandfather. Becaused of that farming skipped a generation in my family. I guess I am gonna be the first in the family to jump from water buffalo to tractor for farming. I am also going to be the only one in the family who wants to get back to farming. After many years working as an engineer, I went to visit a farm recently and a longing deep in me called and I want to start farming so bad. I guess the land is calling for me.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q2. What is/was the prevalent brand in your neck of the woods?)</font>
I am not sure, I see a mix of NH, Deere, and MF around me. There are also plenty of the old Ford around as well.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q3. If so inclined, to what "party" do you most align with?)</font>
I have no brand affinity so whatever makes the most sense for me.

/ the politics/religion of tractors #7  

Didn't matter a bit. We had Deere, MF, AC, NH growing up. I never paid much attention just drove what I was told to drive. My grandfather and uncle could fix anything. If they didn't have the part they just went to the shop and made it!!! My first tractor that I could buy was a MF Super 90. Then when I could afford it I first went to buy a Kubota. The dealer was so so and went to the Deere dealer and he beat the price by quite a bit over a similiar unit from kubota. Since then it has been all Deere.

Deere is #1 by a looooong ways. Second is probably International for used and Case/New Holland new. I see so little of any other new tractor it would be very hard to say.

Deere has won a hard nosed customer in me. They've done it by standing by every piece of machinery, old and new, that I own. Having a parts/repair service that has been second to none. Lastly they've been the nicest dealer I've ever dealt with and have beaten every other tractor dealer on price.

/ the politics/religion of tractors #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q1. Did/Does the type(s) of tractors you grew up around have any bearing on your purchase considerations? )</font>

To a minor extent. I thought I preferred Deere (first tractor I ever drove was a Deere my Dad bought) until I visited a couple of local Deere dealers, and it was obvious that those particular dealers had huge inventories, but weren't going to waste any time on someone only interested in a compact tractor; strictly take it or leave it attitude and don't waste my time. So next, I went to a local New Holland dealer. Almost no inventory and a salesman who knew nothing about the tractors. (In all fairness to New Holland, I went to the wrong dealer. He's primarily a dealer for fork lifts and industrial equipment, the New Holland tractor line is strictly a little sideline business.). So I went with Kubota; liked both the tractors and the dealers, as well as the prices.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q2. What is/was the prevalent brand in your neck of the woods? )</font>

In the big tractors on real farms, Deere definitely leads, followed by Case/International. In the compacts, the Kubotas lead. (Of course, I think that's right, based on my observation, but no actual statistics).

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Q3. If so inclined, to what "party" do you most align with? )</font>

Kubota, because of my experience with them, but that sure doesn't mean I wouldn't consider some other brands if I were shopping.

/ the politics/religion of tractors #9  
A1. No, I was brought up around Farmalls and red equipment.

A2. John Deere (largely due to the absence of any other dealer for 30 to 50 miles in any direction).

A3. John Deere is the tractor and Ford is the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ the politics/religion of tractors #10  
No. The farm I worked on had a Farmall M, two 8Ns, and a Farmall Cub.

Kubota

I chose a (Mitsubishi-built) Cub and feel strongly that it was an excellent choice.... your satisfaction may vary.