The Resting Place.

/ The Resting Place. #72  

Yaphet Kotto, Star of ‘Alien’ and ‘Homicide: Life on the Street,’ Dead at 81​

/ The Resting Place.
A very important person most people have never heard of:

"March 20 (UPI) -- Glynn S. Lunney, the engineer who played a key role in NASA's early efforts to launch astronauts into space and who led Mission Control through some of its most crucial missions, died after a long illness, the agency confirmed. He was 84.

NASA, which said Lunney died Friday, didn't offer details on his cause of death.

He led the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle programs before retiring from the agency in 1985, then led human spaceflight activities in private industry with Rockwell International and, later, United Space Alliance until his retirement in 1995.

Lunney received the Presidential Medal Freedom as part of the Apollo 13 Mission Operations Team in recognition of actions that made it possible to save three Apollo 13 astronauts aboard a spacecraft that became disabled on the way to the moon on a 1970 mission.

Under Lunney's guidance, the team worked with the astronauts to shut down the command module systems so that the lunar module could be used as a lifeboat for the crew during the journey home to Earth keeping the crew alive and safe while NASA's teams developed longer-term plans for successful re-entry and splashdown."

/ The Resting Place.

Missed that one. His was one of those voices you almost immediately recognized. Almost as distinctive as that of James Earl Jones. For some reason, I don't recall even seeing the roles he's most famous for, yet I remember his as a troubled Viet Nam vet in the original Hawaii Five-0

2.jpg

And an interesting line from the Wiki:

"A memo from Paramount indicates that Kotto was among those being considered for Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, a role which eventually went to Patrick Stewart."

Last edited:
   / The Resting Place. #75  
Missed that one. His was one of those voices you almost immediately recognized. Almost as distinctive as that of James Earl Jones. For some reason, I don't recall even seeing the roles he's most famous for, yet I remember his as a troubled Viet Nam vet in the original Hawaii Five-0

2.jpg

And an interesting line from the Wiki:

"A memo from Paramount indicates that Kotto was among those being considered for Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek: The Next Generation, a role which eventually went to Patrick Stewart."

I seem to recall him from the film "Alien".

/ The Resting Place. #77  

I remember him from the James Bond film “Live & Let Die”, with a very young Jane Seymour.

/ The Resting Place. #78  
Google 'Yaphet Kotto on Alien' and listen to what he says that role did for him and also Sygourney Weaver.

/ The Resting Place. #79  
Elgin Baylor died at the age of 86. He played for the LA Lakers his entire career of 14 years.

/ The Resting Place. #80  
Elgin Baylor died at the age of 86. He played for the LA Lakers his entire career of 14 years.

I hadn’t heard. Thanks for posting. I can’t believe he was 86 years old. He was a GREAT player.

His highlights are below:

IMG_1283.JPG

Pretty impressive.

MoKelly