The rodenator----

/ The rodenator---- #31  
Not quite that bad but when you get a good blast it will throw dirt 20-30 feet in the air no problem. In tight sod it will sometimes lift the ground in sheets, you can see it.... or feel it if close enough to the blast area. One thing about the tunnels is you are never sure where they go until you blast it.... might turn and come right back to what you think is a 'safe' area. ;)

/ The rodenator---- #32  
Not quite that bad but when you get a good blast it will throw dirt 20-30 feet in the air no problem. In tight sod it will sometimes lift the ground in sheets, you can see it.... or feel it if close enough to the blast area. One thing about the tunnels is you are never sure where they go until you blast it.... might turn and come right back to what you think is a 'safe' area. ;)
I guess if you want to really mess up a nice lawn trying to remove these pest gas explosives will certainly do it very well. I guess I'm old fashioned. I bought some mole traps last summer asnd declared war on what I thought was a whole family of moles. Turned out to be only two. Very elusive two. I took wire survey flags to mark opening in the branches of tunnels. Then I started looking for the super highway. There is allways one or two that will travel nearly across yoour lawn totally underground with no hilling. After finding a deep underground tunnel. I used the wire flags to probe the ground about every ten feet. When I hit the tunnel I set a flag. I did this till I mapped out the entire tunnel across the yard. Now to test for activity. Moles don't like fresh air. I would take a finger and open a hole in the main highway. If it was filled the next day I would flag that spot. I would do that about three times in the entire run. Flag all the active runs. Now to set the traps.

These are specially designed for moles and will easily fit in a round tunnel. I would goto the middle of the long tunnel and set one in one direction and one in the opposite direction. So I had a good chance of catching at least one. It took about a week but cleared them out. Tried the gummy worms, pellets. poison peanuts. The spring loaded traps did the trick. Best part it you can shove them way back into the tunnel and cover the small hole you made and mold the dirt so only a small opening is left. I flag my traps and wait.

Here are the traps I used.

View attachment 303558 View attachment 303559

Trapline is the brand and they are stainless steel to prevent rust.

It won't be long before they coming ot of hybernation, but I'll be ready for them this time. No gas explosions, craters, freaking out the neigbors pets or swat teams showing up.