The Weekend Warrior guy

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #1  

Weekend Warrior

Tractor
Massey GC 2600
I purchased a Massey GC 2600 and started up a evening & weekend business last year. Landscaping, decks fences and post holes. It's the post hole part of the business that drives me nuts. I was open and honest with the dealer I bought it from, what I was going to do with the $15,000 worth of stuff I bought. The 3 pt post hole auger does not work with a hoot in the hard packed clay soils I'm finding in the residential subdivisons I deal with. The dealer, I no longer deal with. Not so much as an oil filter, since he's back tracked on his position on the post hole digger working. I've delt directly with the importer (wholesaler) of the post hole auger, looking for solutions. I get the feeling, they don't really care either. I've even wrote the manufacturer, and received no reply.
So to say the least. I'm frustrated with the current situation, and I'm looking for some help. Thanks Troy

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #2  
Hello Weekend Warrior, welcome to TBN! Glad to see you posting. Hope you enjoy being a member of our community. :)

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #3  
I purchased a Massey GC 2600 and started up a evening & weekend business last year. Landscaping, decks fences and post holes. It's the post hole part of the business that drives me nuts. I was open and honest with the dealer I bought it from, what I was going to do with the $15,000 worth of stuff I bought. The 3 pt post hole auger does not work with a hoot in the hard packed clay soils I'm finding in the residential subdivisons I deal with. The dealer, I no longer deal with. Not so much as an oil filter, since he's back tracked on his position on the post hole digger working. I've delt directly with the importer (wholesaler) of the post hole auger, looking for solutions. I get the feeling, they don't really care either. I've even wrote the manufacturer, and received no reply.
So to say the least. I'm frustrated with the current situation, and I'm looking for some help. Thanks Troy

We have hard red clay here in Georgia and I share your frustration and experience. Here is what I did with my Post hole digger...Take the blade off the auger and take it to a welding shop and have them weld carbide cutting edges on your auger blade...it solved my problem and then get an industrial diamond file or grinder wheel to sharpen it up once in a great while..it really stays sharp along time ..I drilled hundreds of holes before I ever touched them up and then it did not take but a few minutes...Good Luck..and welcome aboard.

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #4  
brin, you have photos of the tip?

Weekend Warrior, what make/model is it? Do they sell a hydraulic down pressure kit for them. Can you hang weight off the end of the PHD? This has been talked about in the past, try using the search feature...

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #5  
I've found that the post hole digger I use (my dad's) ... which I think is a typical "regular" PHD for a 40HP tractor, from Tractor Supply I think ... doesn't weigh enough in certain situation; hard dirt, clay, lots of roots, etc.

So, against my better judgment I have actually laid myself across the top of the PHD's curved boom to add 150 lbs or so. That has helped. I don't recommend others do that, though! :eek:

I've though about getting a threaded shaft welding to each side of the PHD so I can add dumb-bell weights when needed (instead of using my weight!).

Maybe additional weight would help yours.

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #6  
brin, you have photos of the tip?

Weekend Warrior, what make/model is it? Do they sell a hydraulic down pressure kit for them. Can you hang weight off the end of the PHD? This has been talked about in the past, try using the search feature...

Teg....the PHD is out at the farm ...but all it is ---is two strips of carbide that is sharpened and welded to the edge of each of the auger blades...as I recall each carbide strip is 1/2 inch by the length of each blade and I have about an 8 inch auger so each strip of carbide would probably be 4 inches long..but what a difference it made.

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #7  
Other than the PH situation how are you liking the MF. I sell alot of them and so far have not had any problems with them using a PH digger. Where are you from and what kind of digger did you get if you dont mind me asking

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #8  
Welcome to TBN!!! Sorry to here you are having problems. I'm sure you will find a lot of good info here.

/ The Weekend Warrior guy #9  
So, against my better judgment I have actually laid myself across the top of the PHD's curved boom to add 150 lbs or so. That has helped. I don't recommend others do that, though! :eek:

Here's an alternative that may work with your existing PHD - but it makes digging a two-person operation. Use a digging bar and wedge it near the gearbox - then lean on it for down pressure. This has two advantages:
1. Because it is a lever, you can apply more than your body weight in down pressure.
2. It keeps you out of harms way.

PLEASE be careful when using post hole diggers. They are VERY VERY unforgiving should an article of clothing get caught.
Mike