The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #221  
I think it could be extremely useful if easy to get on and off. The softer vines and such (as opposed to stiff branches) did not feed into the grapple as well as they could with the appropriate mod, imo. If one had alot of junk plywood they could even prototype some slight tweaks in angle for those of us that don't natively work with metal.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great grapple as is. Really like it so far.

Just optimized for brush, and logs and such. And does a great job with biggish rocks if they are not buried.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #222  
I think it could be extremely useful if easy to get on and off. The softer vines and such (as opposed to stiff branches) did not feed into the grapple as well as they could with the appropriate mod, imo. If one had alot of junk plywood they could even prototype some slight tweaks in angle for those of us that don't natively work with metal.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great grapple as is. Really like it so far.

Just optimized for brush, and logs and such. And does a great job with biggish rocks if they are not buried.

To be honest, I don't use my grapple to collect vines, just to move piles of them. The Ratchet Rake is far better for scraping up vines.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!!
That was my guess actually. And by coincidence that was the cylinder plug that was leaking (trivial fix, though).

I shouldn't have to take off that cylinder ever, but I'd like to know exactly what pipe dope you use on those pipe fittings so I can have some on hand for emergencies (property is a bit remote)?

Thanks, Bill

This is what we use, but you don't necessarily need to use the same.

IMG_20131008_140409_330.jpgIMG_20131008_140557_446.jpgIMG_20131008_140613_038.jpg

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #224  
I was mostly gathering with my landscape rake but I am talking acres here. So I was constantly gathering stacking and moving stuff

For strippping blackberries only the RR is awesome and I use it alot for that. The LR is awesome for gathering them into clumps.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #226  
I am having a problem with my new grapple, one clamp does not close all the way. Seems like it did last week, although I could not swear to it.

I called EA this morning and talked to Rick who must have been pretty busy as he did not want to hear what I learned in inspecting it last night. He just said send a picture and they would troubleshoot from the pic.

What I wanted to tell him was that

My guess is that both sides were closing last week (new) but I can't swear to it

Turns out there is no physical interference on lid, when I detach the cylinder from one end it closes fine.

So it's the cylinder itself that is not reaching far enough to close lid.

Would have guessed a wonky cylinder, but an initial measurement of both cylinders shows them to be extending pretty close to the same amount - so not conclusive.

To confuse the issue, upon closer inspection it looks like the upper cylinder bracket on that side was welded on further back than the "good" side. So if the cylinder is at the limit of it's extension it might explain why the lid doesn't close.

Anyone have any thoughts on cause, cylinder or bracket mis welded? I attached some crummy pics that attempt to show the different spacings between the round pin housing and the top cylinder bracket themselves.

As a heads up for new owners , none of the 8 grease fittings had been greased when I got it. The long lid pins took a lot of grease, they must have a hollow leg. But once the grease did start showing it was my red grease...

But I love the thing and wonder how I lived without a grapple.

WP_20131010_033.jpg

WP_20131010_040.jpg

WP_20131010_042.jpg

Last edited:
   / The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #227  
Pull the pin on the cylinder and unscrew the clevis a bit. You may be able to gain enough to make it close.

Sent from my Samsung SPH-L710 using TractorByNet

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #228  
Travis just called me back, says there is an adjustment on the cylinder shaft that allows me to have the cylinder reach a bit further. Says a couple folks have had to do that.

Sounds like an easy tweak, although I won't be working at the property for a couple days to check it out.

/ The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #229  
Pull the pin on the cylinder and unscrew the clevis a bit. You may be able to gain enough to make it close.

Sent from my Samsung SPH-L710 using TractorByNet

Now I know, rookie mistake. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew most cylinders were adjustable, but I guess I forgot. I won't forget again....:eek:

But I always like simple fixes even if they make me look stoopid.

Last edited:
   / The WICKED Root & Debris GRAPPLE!!!!!!! #230  
On a more general note in regard to the EA grapple, I think their spring on the hydraulic hoses is great. Hard to imagine how one could get by without one.

Still the potential for a hose getting behind a quick release lever (as some have posted) but that's preventable and so far hasn't happened to me.

For folks wondering which type of connector to get for a grapple, one thing to think about with the spring setup is that since the spring is going to pull fairly hard on the hoses (depending on the overall length) when the grapple is in the most downward position, some of the agri couplers might pull out while the FF don't.