Theft hits home.

/ Theft hits home. #21  
We had a family member who attended a funeral out of town and while they were gone someone backed a moving van up and cleaned out the whole house. This was in a farming community where houses are too far apart to be seen from one another. Now somebody had to know about the funeral etc. and had a plan. Who knows? Personal and keepsake items were gone forever. Damnable thieves are everywhere. Gr-r-r-.

I can remember when we had that problem 45 years ago in Dallas. The thieves were reading the obituaries in the newspaper. Another was thieves reading the society pages for lucrative locations. I was once hired to simply stay in a house one evening while the residents were at their daughter's wedding rehearsal and dinner, just to be sure thieves didn't come in and steal all the wedding gifts that had already arrived.

/ Theft hits home. #23  
as mentioned before there is zero deterrent, the scum that robbed my home was out on parole for burglary at the time he robbed me. They still let him plea bargain to a lessor charge and reduced time. He had a long juvenile record that could not be considered, I have known him since he were a child. You do not want to catch them in most states if you protect your property the prosecutor is more interested in prosecuting the person defending their property. As it is now the police cannot even defend themselves without facing unjust prosecution.

/ Theft hits home. #24  
I can remember when we had that problem 45 years ago in Dallas. The thieves were reading the obituaries in the newspaper. Another was thieves reading the society pages for lucrative locations. I was once hired to simply stay in a house one evening while the residents were at their daughter's wedding rehearsal and dinner, just to be sure thieves didn't come in and steal all the wedding gifts that had already arrived.

When I was a kid, I remember several times my mom made me go sit at neighbors' houses while they were at funerals... she said they would get broken into. I always got lunch out of the deal. Later in life, I realize how much small acts like that mean from neighbors.

/ Theft hits home. #25  
Sorry to hear of your loss - that type of thing has always burned me to no end ! Borrow anything I own but do not let me catch a thief !

Game trail cameras are cheap and work great.

/ Theft hits home. #26  
I know this does not compare to most but a month ago someone stole our trash can, we had to call the trash company and it took two weeks to get a new can but it only took the thief a week to steal the new can.

/ Theft hits home.
UPDATE!

Today, we were transferring goats to a newly enclosed pasture. The old one has been pretty much browsed over and drying up due to lack of rain. The new one is on lower, damper ground (actual soil vs. sand and gravel) and is very lush. Anyhoo, we were in the midst of this circus, when a familiar face showed up out of nowhere. Brain, my wife's late foster brother's best friend walked up and said, "I have something in the back of my truck for you." Naturally, I was intrigued.

We walked over to his truck, and there were the two missing items. "There's a kinda funny story to this," he said.
"Elmer's wife was selling some of his equipment, and one of them was the big spray rig in your meadow. The buyer went to look at the sprayer and saw the hitch sitting on the pile of telephone poles. Assuming it was Elmer's, he picked it up and took it to Elmer's shed, so no one would steal it. I saw your post on facebook and it was in the back of my mind when I was visiting Elmer's wife. I saw the hitch leaning against the shed, and knew I've never seen it before. Then I remembered your post about the missing hitch and knew who it belonged to."

I called my uncle to tell him the good news. (Remember, it was really his, and I bought him a replacement.)
"What are you going to do with the new one? Return it?" He asked.
"Nah... I've been wanting to get one for a while, but couldn't justify the expense for something that was nice, but not really needed."
"Looks like you were tricked into buying a new one anyhow."
"Yup."

I'm so glad it was just an honest misunderstanding instead of an actual theft. We really do have good neighbors!

I'll call the Sheriff tomorrow and tell him the good news.

Joe

/ Theft hits home. #29  
UPDATE!

Today, we were transferring goats to a newly enclosed pasture. The old one has been pretty much browsed over and drying up due to lack of rain. The new one is on lower, damper ground (actual soil vs. sand and gravel) and is very lush. Anyhoo, we were in the midst of this circus, when a familiar face showed up out of nowhere. Brain, my wife's late foster brother's best friend walked up and said, "I have something in the back of my truck for you." Naturally, I was intrigued.

We walked over to his truck, and there were the two missing items. "There's a kinda funny story to this," he said.
"Elmer's wife was selling some of his equipment, and one of them was the big spray rig in your meadow. The buyer went to look at the sprayer and saw the hitch sitting on the pile of telephone poles. Assuming it was Elmer's, he picked it up and took it to Elmer's shed, so no one would steal it. I saw your post on facebook and it was in the back of my mind when I was visiting Elmer's wife. I saw the hitch leaning against the shed, and knew I've never seen it before. Then I remembered your post about the missing hitch and knew who it belonged to."

I called my uncle to tell him the good news. (Remember, it was really his, and I bought him a replacement.)
"What are you going to do with the new one? Return it?" He asked.
"Nah... I've been wanting to get one for a while, but couldn't justify the expense for something that was nice, but not really needed."
"Looks like you were tricked into buying a new one anyhow."
"Yup."

I'm so glad it was just an honest misunderstanding instead of an actual theft. We really do have good neighbors!

I'll call the Sheriff tomorrow and tell him the good news.

Joe

Glad to hear it worked out OK! :thumbsup: