Backhoe There has to be a better seat

/ There has to be a better seat #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I love mu BX25 except for the poorly engineered seat arrangement for the BH use. It is a real PITA to reset the seat around. Must be a better way. Has anyone seen or used an aftermarket product that is on a swivel that you do not have to fight with every time you want to move a little?

Ron

/ There has to be a better seat #2  
Mine (BX24) kicked my butt when I first got it. Then I realized that a couple of slides and the balls that lock seat in were missing. May not be your problem, but worth checking out. Once that was fixed, the seat took a certain "pattern to get it around easy. Now, I don't even give it a second thought.

Check this thread just in case:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...g/238704-bx24-swivel-seat-mechanism-came.html

Deano

/ There has to be a better seat #3  
:DOoooohhh Noooooo! Another Kubota seat thread!:laughing::D:laughing:
First, I also own personally a BX25 which is my first tractor with a BH. I love this tractor and wish I'd gotten it years before I did. I to struggled with the seat turning "issue" for a few months when I first got the BX25. It isn't actually difficult or wasn't back when I used to do it in the beginning. It was just different. I had to learn to sort of pull up on seat as I turned it and it wasn't to bad after that. What became an "issue" was the having to turn it period every time I wanted to use the BH. Now I'm not a dig for hours with my BH user and if I was I'd turn that sucker around and go to work but I dig a small tree or move plants or rocks and dig a bit and then move kind of user.
One day a BX23/24/25 owner told how they don't turn their seat, they turn their body in the seat and operate the controls. WOW!!! One of the greatest most helpful revelations for me personally since I've been on this forum. I haven't turned my seat in probably over a year and a half give or take 6 months. It isn't a perfect operating situation but it works for me with the types of digging I'm doing. I sometimes get on my knees in the seat if I'm going to do a bit longer job.
I do know or believe my seat will still turn and I may actually turn it while operating the BH one day. Great to have the option to use or not use if I don't want to.:)
Wonder if other brand SubCompactUtilityTractors that are dedicated FEL/BH and come that way set up from the factory have a better seat turning design? Not CompactUtilityTractors but SCUTs. Sometimes making stuff really small creates different ways of stuffing all the stuff in.
Actual knowledge/experience and not sales brochure, internet search or heard stories.

/ There has to be a better seat #4  
A little WD40 does wonders for my BX22.

Kim

/ There has to be a better seat #5  
^^^ Same here... I think I used a graphite lube on all the pivot and slide points... made a world of difference.

/ There has to be a better seat #6  
I love mu BX25 except for the poorly engineered seat arrangement for the BH use. It is a real PITA to reset the seat around. Must be a better way. Has anyone seen or used an aftermarket product that is on a swivel that you do not have to fight with every time you want to move a little?

Ron

I don't know if the BX25 seat is like the BX23 seat but when I first got our BX23 it had 285 hours on it. I experienced the same 'seat fight' that you talk about. I decided one day it wasn't worth the fight and I was going to win the battle once and for all. I lubed the daylights out of all the adjoining surfaces that rubbed against another surface underneath the seat and then spent a few minutes practicing until it became second nature to swing the seat around. I was so proud of myself until a couple of months later it started giving me problems again. I found that the flat bar that you lift up on to release the catches had gotten bent up in the middle enough so the catches weren't connecting to the round bar properly causing me more aggravation. I straightened the flat bar and everything works good as long as I keep the mechanism well lubed.
A little off the subject but connected. On full sized backhoes it is common practice when digging ditches to move the machine forward you just raise the loader and stabilizers and push the machine forward with the bucket, restabilize the machine and resume digging. I read someplace in the manual that we shouldn't do this with the BX23. I do it all the time and I can't see how it hurts anything if I do it properly so I just ignore that bit of advice in the manual.
ametcalf

/ There has to be a better seat
I don't know if the BX25 seat is like the BX23 seat but when I first got our BX23 it had 285 hours on it. I experienced the same 'seat fight' that you talk about. I decided one day it wasn't worth the fight and I was going to win the battle once and for all. I lubed the daylights out of all the adjoining surfaces that rubbed against another surface underneath the seat and then spent a few minutes practicing until it became second nature to swing the seat around. I was so proud of myself until a couple of months later it started giving me problems again. I found that the flat bar that you lift up on to release the catches had gotten bent up in the middle enough so the catches weren't connecting to the round bar properly causing me more aggravation. I straightened the flat bar and everything works good as long as I keep the mechanism well lubed.
A little off the subject but connected. On full sized backhoes it is common practice when digging ditches to move the machine forward you just raise the loader and stabilizers and push the machine forward with the bucket, restabilize the machine and resume digging. I read someplace in the manual that we shouldn't do this with the BX23. I do it all the time and I can't see how it hurts anything if I do it properly so I just ignore that bit of advice in the manual.
ametcalf

Yeah, I do that also when ditch digging, but kind of cumbersome to move sideways 3-4' when digging out stumps or bigger holes.

Ron

/ There has to be a better seat #8  
Yeah, I do that also when ditch digging, but kind of cumbersome to move sideways 3-4' when digging out stumps or bigger holes.

Ron

I know what you mean. Years ago I rented a John Deere because our Case was tied up on another job. Had it about half throttle because I wasn't familiar with the controls. Tried to set myself off a ditch I had dug to the middle from two ends. I almost dumped myself into the ditch until I got the rpm up on the tractor. I wished I had talked my backhoe operator into working on Saturday as I went home to change my pants. Oh well, "All's well that ends well."
ametcalf

/ There has to be a better seat #9  
:DOoooohhh Noooooo! Another Kubota seat thread!:laughing::D:laughing:
First, I also own personally a BX25 which is my first tractor with a BH. I love this tractor and wish I'd gotten it years before I did. I to struggled with the seat turning "issue" for a few months when I first got the BX25. It isn't actually difficult or wasn't back when I used to do it in the beginning. It was just different. I had to learn to sort of pull up on seat as I turned it and it wasn't to bad after that. What became an "issue" was the having to turn it period every time I wanted to use the BH. Now I'm not a dig for hours with my BH user and if I was I'd turn that sucker around and go to work but I dig a small tree or move plants or rocks and dig a bit and then move kind of user.
One day a BX23/24/25 owner told how they don't turn their seat, they turn their body in the seat and operate the controls. WOW!!! One of the greatest most helpful revelations for me personally since I've been on this forum. I haven't turned my seat in probably over a year and a half give or take 6 months. It isn't a perfect operating situation but it works for me with the types of digging I'm doing. I sometimes get on my knees in the seat if I'm going to do a bit longer job.

Been doing the "body turn around" for years with my B21 digging holes while replanting shrubs but if I have any delicate work or rocks I flip the seat - it takes 40 seconds on the b21.
[

/ There has to be a better seat #10  
I would seriously consider dropping some serious coin for decent seat.
Gawd I loath that seat. It is not so much turning it around but climbing off
and on the tractor just blows. "Someone" needs to design a seat that
simply folds back 90 degrees, so the part of the seat that your back
touches is where you plant your butt when using the BH, and vice versa.
I figured out on the very first day a guy can do short jobs by just turning
your bod w/o turning the seat but when your doing serious trenching
you need to be in the BH seat.