There ought to be a law .

/ There ought to be a law . #51  
Good grief guys----- what I mean is shoot the mower--not the rider--the rider didn't throw the stuff--!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did say I was kidding and even put in old school smilies, but really, it is the operator's fault, not the machines.

Mowers don't break windows, careless operators (and sometimes unavoidable unintended consequences- random chance or just plain pure old bad luck) do.

Thomas

/ There ought to be a law . #52  
Good grief guys----- what I mean is shoot the mower--not the rider--the rider didn't throw the stuff--!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did say I was kidding and even put in old school smilies, but really, it is typically the operator's fault, not the machines.

Mowers don't break windows, careless operators (and sometimes unavoidable unintended consequences- random chance or just plain pure old bad luck) do.

Thomas

/ There ought to be a law . #53  
maybe someone should design a deflector that didnt make the deck a foot wider then it cuts we would be more inclined to leave them down.

/ There ought to be a law . #54  
maybe someone should design a deflector that didnt make the deck a foot wider then it cuts we would be more inclined to leave them down.

What about chains like brush hogs have?

/ There ought to be a law . #55  

What about chains like brush hogs have?

/ There ought to be a law . #56  
If we're still talking about 'mowers' - my two Husqvarna's have mulching decks, i.e. no open chute. All of the grass/weeds is chopped up and is not discharged.

My Rhino rotary cutter has a conveyor belt curtain at the rear which helps knock down discharge, but it's not a 100% proof safety guard.

/ There ought to be a law . #57  
I always try to mow with the guard down unless I am trying to squeeze through some gap between trees, shrubs etc. When mowing my road front I only mow with discharge towards my property and not out onto the open road to be safe and considerate or to be frank; common sense should prevail. Good subject indeed. Stay safe out there.

/ There ought to be a law . #58  
reply to him that saw someone cutting his toes off with a mower, I did just that when I slipped when walking backwards, pulling the small hand pushed petrol driven mower over my right foot, that was over fifty years ago when I was a very young lad helping my mother, and I still get a cold sweat out of it even now.

Yet I know a very experienced man who owns a huge agricultural machinery sales and repair business who did something similar and removed his finger tops last year here in Scotland.

Certainly gives me cold shivers to think about it.

james

/ There ought to be a law . #59  
reply to him that saw someone cutting his toes off with a mower, I did just that when I slipped when walking backwards, pulling the small hand pushed petrol driven mower over my right foot, that was over fifty years ago when I was a very young lad helping my mother, and I still get a cold sweat out of it even now.

Yet I know a very experienced man who owns a huge agricultural machinery sales and repair business who did something similar and removed his finger tops last year here in Scotland.

Certainly gives me cold shivers to think about it.

James

/ There ought to be a law . #60  
We have enough laws now. We don't need another one. The only law necessary is one that holds a person responsible for causing injuries to another that could have been prevented. Since taking off any safety shielding from a piece of equipment constitutes a preventable injury, doesn't matter if it's a mower chute, chain guard, PTO shaft sleeve, or the screen on your microwave oven. It's simple, generic enough to apply to most situations, and adds less to government costs than a bazzillion laws for every specific case anyone can think of.

So I guess that answers the question, "One would have to wonder if you thought there were too many laws in place if it was one of your family members got hurt or killed by one of these dip sticks who mow like this?"

So the law that requires a cover for the discharge is unnecessary. Is it a law? Your saying it should be a choice. How about a operators license for a mower. Operators license for tractors and riding lawnmowers. You can be ticketed for various violations on public highways while driving tractors, mowers, bicycles.