ThermoStart - photos of TS flame

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #1  

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240 Yanmar YM186D
By popular demand, (Well I think it is interesting :D ) I just took these photos.

Incidentally this was with the key in 'Start' position but with the clutch safety switch preventing cranking. I was testing to see if TS operates in Start position as well as when the key is cranked left.

Vapor seen before flame starts, and for a moment after letting go the key.
P1570265rThermostartVapor.JPG

After holding the key in TS position for a few seconds the TS element, similar to a car's cigarette lighter, starts to glow. Then diesel vapor fills the intake. At about 10-12 seconds the vapor ignites.

The initial flame was higher, up to the top of the air filter. I kept the camera away until I let go of the key and the flame dropped down to this level.
P1570264rThermostartFlame.JPG

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #2  
By popular demand, (Well I think it is interesting :D ) I just took these photos.

Incidentally this was with the key in 'Start' position but with the clutch safety switch preventing cranking. I was testing to see if TS operates in Start position as well as when the key is cranked left.

Vapor seen before flame starts, and for a moment after letting go the key.
View attachment 149121

After holding the key in TS position for a few seconds the TS element, similar to a car's cigarette lighter, starts to glow. Then diesel vapor fills the intake. At about 10-12 seconds the vapor ignites.

The initial flame was higher, up to the top of the air filter. I kept the camera away until I let go of the key and the flame dropped down to this level.
View attachment 149122

And that is why the Perkins A/AD3.152 is LEGENDARY for it's cold starting ability - the Thermostart!!

Thanks for posting those.

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #3  
ThermoStart is great,got pretty chilly here last week and w/o t.s. couldn't have got my little yanny going. Is there anything you can add to thin diesel out when it starts jellin.It wouldn't go through the screen and had to take it out to fill the tank up? russ

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #4  
ThermoStart is great,got pretty chilly here last week and w/o t.s. couldn't have got my little yanny going. Is there anything you can add to thin diesel out when it starts jellin.It wouldn't go through the screen and had to take it out to fill the tank up? russ

Some kind of diesel fuel conditioner. Do you have a parts store near by you? Kleen flo, Power service, Howes, lots of them out there.

Thanks for the pics.

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #7  
California,
This is interesting, after all the talk about which way the key is turned in order to activate the TS, I did the test as you show and had the same results, the Ignition on my YM will only turn to the start position, it will not turn to the left, could this ign. switch been replaced at some point?:confused: My old Kubota didn't use the key switch to start the tractor, it had a seperate lever that would turn back to heat the plug and the same lever turn to the right to start the engine over, It did have a key ign. switch that had to be in the on position in order for anything to work,

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #8  
The Mf Dealer by my Grand parents house went out of buisness and is now a Bar called the Tractor Bar. Rumor has it that so many people had trouble with thier MF.Tractor and started drinking heavy they would be more profitable selling Liquor:p MT.Nebo WV. NO BS. and I am not kidding you one bit:D it is there!!

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame
Ignition on my YM will only turn to the start position, it will not turn to the left, could this ign. switch been replaced at some point?
Maybe replaced. Or maybe this was an early tractor and there was a dash button to press for Thermostart? I dunno.

/ ThermoStart - photos of TS flame #10  
on my 1610d dash there is a pushbutton that says "check" never figgured out what it was for.had to tear into the dash once and found it to be disconnected. I've got the switch that goes to the left,maybe it's been upgraded and that check button at one time had something to do with TS. russ