Thermostat (F15D runs very cold)

/ Thermostat (F15D runs very cold) #1  

mtm88001

Tractor
F15D Yanmar
Just wondering if anyone knows if my tractor has a thermostat? It's cold here in Arkansas, around 35-50F. I know cold is relative for some of you guys further north.

Anyway, I have been working my tractor and the temp never comes up very far. I feel of the radiator and it is warm but not hot. I have run the tractor with the radiator cap off and the water seems to by moving very well. Also I grounded out the temp gauge with the key on and the gauge at least is working.

Is there a thermostat and will it hurt the tractor to work while running so cold.

Thanks everyone.

/ Thermostat (F15D runs very cold) #2  
I had a similar issue on my F22d, Temp gauge needle would move about 1/8 inch only. Turns out that my tempeture sending unit was unplugged. Plugged it in and my temp went up to about 1/4 of the gauge. Hope its something simple like that. My F22 has a thermostat, not sure on the f15 but I think it should.

/ Thermostat (F15D runs very cold) #3  
The F15 did not come with a thermostat. It does have the housing so it looks like one could possibly be added if you thought it needed one though. It is hard to tell how much "very far" is but, as long as it does move a little as the tractor warms, I think that small movement sounds pretty normal in cold (cool) weather.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)-592-0181

/ Thermostat (F15D runs very cold)
HoyeTractor said:
The F15 did not come with a thermostat. It does have the housing so it looks like one could possibly be added if you thought it needed one though. It is hard to tell how much "very far" is but, as long as it does move a little as the tractor warms, I think that small movement sounds pretty normal in cold (cool) weather.

Thanks HoyeTractor, you guys have been great. I ordered a 3pt kit last week.

Do you know if running the engine cool hurts the diesel engine?
Do you know what the temp of the water should be (min - max)?

I guess I'll check the temp of the water with a cooking thermometer when I get a chance and see what the temp is.

Off topic just a little, but you guys sent me fuel filter and bowl. When I was trying to use the fuel shut off value the little teeth on the inside of the shut off valve handle broke off. I took the handle off by removing the set screw and was able to operate the shut of with a screw driver. Would you have a replacement part?

/ Thermostat (F15D runs very cold) #5  
Do you know if running the engine cool hurts the diesel engine?

I guess I have always thought that the Japanese engineer that designed the Yanmar was a lot smarter than me. If he didn't think the tractor needed a thermostat- it probably doesn't.

Do you know what the temp of the water should be (min - max)?

I have always heard a normal temp is 150 to 180 degrees. Most warning lights come on around 220 to 230.

.. the little teeth on the inside of the shut off valve handle broke off... Would you have a replacement part?

That is very common. Here is the handle-
FUEL SHUTOFF HANDLE ^: Yanmar Tractor Parts

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181