Thermostat (maybe) and tachometer

/ Thermostat (maybe) and tachometer #1  

Ace Ford

Tractor
Branson 2810
Howdy folks,

I thought I would run this by the Branson gang here since almost ALL of you have more mechanical experience/ability than I do. I tend toward horses and woodworking. :confused2:

I've noticed a couple of things that I am "fixing to tackle" on my 2810. First, my temperature gauge has found a temperature it really likes and thus stays right there, no matter what. My first bad thought is probably thermostat and once upon a time giving the old mechanical thermostats a tap or two would free them up. Before I whack it, I thought I'd ask opinions. Is this the most likely culprit and if so, since it is "broken already" any problem with trying the old whack it lightly method? Given the price of Branson thermostats compared to OEM/generic thermostats, Branson dealers want a lot of money for one. Any likelihood of another thermostat fitting?

Number two on my list is the tachometer has given up the ghost. I'm guessing that is either cable is broken internally or tach is somehow "frozen up". Same here--should it be the cable, Branson part is costly. Any other cable that might fit?

I'm open to all advice/suggestions.

/ Thermostat (maybe) and tachometer #2  
Take the T-stat wire off of the sending unit and with the key on ground it. it will either read hot or cold (I don't remember which).
That will tell you if the sending unit is bad, or a gauge problem.
I had to replace the sending unit on my 2005 3510 because it stopped reading. I replaced the thermostat at the same time and changed antifreeze too.

/ Thermostat (maybe) and tachometer #3  
I have a couple of questions for you.. First off what does the heat temp read on the gauge prior to start up and once the engine is warmed up.. Usually (not always) but usually if the gauge doesn't move at all it's probably the gauge and not the thermostat. Like Stimw said take off the wire that attaches to the sending unit by the thermostat and ground it out with the key on. If the gauge is working properly it will peg out to full hot. If it doesn't do anything and stays on cold it will be a faulty gauge. It also could be a sending unit but there is really no way of checking that except for replacing it. Yes you could bang on the thermostat if you would like especially if its not working to begin with. The cable for the hour meter is part #NTD4320000A3 and is about $46. Let us know what you find.

/ Thermostat (maybe) and tachometer
Take the T-stat wire off of the sending unit and with the key on ground it. it will either read hot or cold (I don't remember which).
That will tell you if the sending unit is bad, or a gauge problem.
I had to replace the sending unit on my 2005 3510 because it stopped reading. I replaced the thermostat at the same time and changed antifreeze too.

Thank you sir. Given that the temp never changes I'm now betting on sending unit and I'll give that a look. I appreciate it. :cool:

/ Thermostat (maybe) and tachometer
I have a couple of questions for you.. First off what does the heat temp read on the gauge prior to start up and once the engine is warmed up.. Usually (not always) but usually if the gauge doesn't move at all it's probably the gauge and not the thermostat. Like Stimw said take off the wire that attaches to the sending unit by the thermostat and ground it out with the key on. If the gauge is working properly it will peg out to full hot. If it doesn't do anything and stays on cold it will be a faulty gauge. It also could be a sending unit but there is really no way of checking that except for replacing it. Yes you could bang on the thermostat if you would like especially if its not working to begin with. The cable for the hour meter is part #NTD4320000A3 and is about $46. Let us know what you find.

Thank you very kindly, I'll try that this weekend and go from there. I appreciate your help. :thumbsup: