THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
AM i the only one who has notice that these new gas cans they sell now with the so called vented spouts,spill more gas then the old ones they had.I have gotten so i remove the whole pour spout and pour in a funnel.Whos bright idea was this? They are bad for the environment cause your always slopping gas on the ground.someone sell me their old style cans with the vents in the can not the pour spout.I was gonna buy a couple colored ones for my deisal,but i surely aint gonna pay for them peices of crap.
ALAN

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #2  
When I saw the title the first word that came to mind was "sucks". Your not the only one that hates those POS GD friggin waste of money **(*& @)@*$ self venting spout gas cans. The one I bought ended up in the trash can the next day. I stocked up on good ones last year when I saw a bunch on sale at a local closeout store. Should have enough of the good ones to last me the rest of my life now.

They can keep their self venting/self leaking cans.

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS
DieselPower said:
When I saw the title the first word that came to mind was "sucks". Your not the only one that hates those POS GD friggin waste of money **(*& @)@*$ self venting spout gas cans. The one I bought ended up in the trash can the next day. I stocked up on good ones last year when I saw a bunch on sale at a local closeout store. Should have enough of the good ones to last me the rest of my life now.

I dont even think you can buy the old ones anymore.some law or something i heard.
ALAN

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #4  
I just bought a pretty new blue "kerosene" can to put diesel in.
Just because I liked the color. (And they were out of the yellow ones for diesel:D )

Anyhow, this thing has a "safety shut off spout".
I'm not even sure how it's suppose to work.
I think you have to hold it against the lip and push down to make the fuel come out and if you slip off the lip it quits pouring.
(Just guessing from the looks, I haven't used it yet.)

But I'm with y'all.
Give me a good old fashioned nozzle, that way I know I need a rag in hand when I fill up!

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #5  
The new style gas cans are great.

Chances are you are trying to tighten the spout down in what appears to be a straight position up from the ring. If so, that is your problem. The first part of the spout has to come off from the black ring at a 30 degree angle, not straight. I am not talking about the top end of the spout, but the first inch closest to the ring. I did the same thing for the first few tanks and spilled gas and diesel everywhere. The pour spout will CLICK into the black ring if it is installed correctly. It will not leak a drop if you do it right. No vent and much better to use. They do, however, pour slower. They have a little clip to hook onto the edge of the filler neck. That is a nice feature to save you from having to juggle the filler spout up and down as your pour. That feature alone will save untold thousands of gallons of gas from being spilled. I have three yellow and two red cans of the new style. I finally threw away all but one of my old cans. That one is used for old motor oil to take to the recycling center.

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #6  
what I do not like about them is with the cap on they will not self vent. that is why I liked the old ones with the little vent on the other end. this summer one of mine swelled up as big as a basketball in the back of the truck on the way home from town. How are you supposed to keep them from rolling around in your truck?Also found out that when they roll over the yellow cap, that is "supposed" to snap in place will come off. Talk about mad, when you get home and most all of that $2.50 gal gas was wasted:mad:

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #7  
DieselPower said:

ROLF :) I find it easy to guess you don't like the new self venting gas cans. :) :) :)

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #8  
The little yellow cap.

That is the weak point with the new style cans. After taking it on and off about 40 times, the cap gets loose, very loose. The dual purpose clip on the spout only does one thing after a while. When new, it acts as a keeper for the yellow cap and acts as a filler neck holder. Very soon it becomes a filler neck holder only.

When the can tips, your fuel is going to spill out

/ THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #9  
escavader said:
AM i the only one who has notice that these new gas cans they sell now with the so called vented spouts,spill more gas then the old ones they had...

OK, here is a hot tip to prevent spilling.

Put the can on the ground and stand so the spout is away from you. You are at the South end of the can, and the spout is at the North end.

Most people will just naturally put the spout on facing North. What I have found is that if I put the spout on facing West, there is a lot less spillage, sometimes none. I am right handed, lefties put the spout on facing East.

Also, If I do it this way, I can support the weight of the can with my hand on the bottom of it, and spilled gas does not run down onto my hand.

See the attached file for a diagram.

Attachments

• Gas Can.jpg
    Gas Can.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 504
   / THESE NEW STYLE GAS CANS #10  
Mornin Alan,
Gee I dunno ! My old cans work real good and they dont look like there gonna wear out anytime soon, I can put the spout on any old way no special way of doin anything ! I guess Ill stick with what Ive got and save myself some money to boot ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.