Oil & Fuel Things I learned from my hydro oil change!

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #1  

rickster

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota B7800 fel
I put it off for a couple weeks 62 hrs now. I read the manual as I did the change and it took me an hour or so. 14.5 liters of fluid is capacity I measured so carefully. As I was patting myself on the back for a job well done I realized I was was over on the fluid. Hoses must hold quite a bit of fluid:eek: After draining some back out and making a mess on the floor I completed the fluid change:D . So when you do your 50 hr oil change check the dip stick as you fill . It really was easy other than the extra work I created for myself.

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #2  
The hardest part is getting started!

jb

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #3  
I am at that point too. I think I have 52 hours on her now. I have been pretty busy with some other projects that don't really involve the tractor except to move my lumber around. I have to service my lawn tractor too. I need days about 10 hours longer

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #4  
Hey there Charlie, long time no type.
Timber said:
I am at that point too. I think I have 52 hours on her now.
Dang, that's it? I figured you'd at least be at your second hydro change by now :D

50-hr service is a walk in the park ... heck, on our B's you don't even have to jack anything up (unless you're also changing your front axle oil). Just be sure to find / remove all of the 37 various drainplugs required to drain everything :rolleyes:

One tip I can offer about filling the HST is first buy your SUDT in the 5 gallon pail (cheaper). Then get a siphon pump kit from Harbor Freight (#3878), they usually run about $9-10, but they're on sale alot for $5-6. Run your pickup hose down into the pail, stick pump outlet directly in your fill hole, and pump away. It took 5-10 mins to pump ~4 gallons into my trans. No fooling around with beer bongs and whatnot, taking a chance on making a mess and wasting that "liquid gold". When you're done just let the hose drain back into the pail.

Anyway, I got my lovely assistant/wife to demonstrate... see pic.

Attachments

• HST_Fill.jpg
    HST_Fill.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 614
   / Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #5  
Noticed the same thing when I changed my oil. Now my stick reads about 1/4" over the full line. Made enough of a mess draining it the first time as it was WAY over. This is not engine oil so I doubt going over the full mark will do much harm. 1/4"? Close enough :D!

"Then get a siphon pump kit from Harbor Freight"

That is an AWESOME idea I'm gonna look into that!!!

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #6  
I have been around,Been kind of busy with work and some of my other projects. I never cut grass with my B so it doesn't get up in hours like you guys with the mid mounts. The only time I ever crank my RPMs is going up the street to my neighbors. Seems the higher RPMs put the hours on it a lot quicker. I just hit 50 hours on the lawn tractor too and thats been cutting grass for 2 years now. speaking of which I better get back out there and cut some more

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #7  
DiezNutz said:
Just be sure to find / remove all of the 37 various drainplugs required to drain everything :rolleyes:

One tip I can offer about filling the HST is first buy your SUDT in the 5 gallon pail (cheaper). Then get a siphon pump kit from Harbor Freight (#3878),
Thirty-seven? Seriously? Not that I mind but just wanted to know for sure what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the tips.

As well thanks to everyone else.

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #8  
Sorry that should have been: <sarcasm>37 various drainplugs</sarcasm>
It only feels like that many. More like two for the engine, three for the trans.
If you haven't seen it already, Messick's has some decent pictures & writeups on their site.

Messick's Farm Equipment Service
Pick your model from the menu on the left under "Kubota Service Tech"

/ Things I learned from my hydro oil change! #9  
The steel strainer for the tranny is a PITA to take out too. I finally lost all patience and grabed my impact wrench and it came right off. There was a few pieces of metal on the screen in there but not much and I was happy I did get to it (peace of mind).

Kubota painted over the bolt (and a big bolt it is!!! ) and that's why I couldn't break it free. Should be ok now, but make sure you don't forget to check it. If parts are breaking off inside, this is how you will find out! :D