Things that I don't need on my truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things that I don't need on my truck #81  
Not if your truck is a 2wd.

I would not touch a 2 wheel drive on a boat ramp. We lose a average of a half dozen here a summer to the lake.

Chris

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #82  
My 93 F150 has a check engine light.

My Tatra has a Czech engine light. :thumbsup:

I'm someone who is still living in the 90's I suppose, since I'm hanging on to my 95 Ram 2500 as long as possible. No frivolous gadgetry on that truck! Back in 95 it was the auto that was de-rated. I remember test driving both auto and manual back then and the manual really transformed the 5.9 6BT. The auto was a dog by comparison.
If I was in the market for a new truck, I would likely go for an automatic, though I would miss rowing through the gears. I've had to push-start it on occasion when I've killed the batteries a couple of times and when the starter pooched. Can't do that with an automatic.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #83  
I would not touch a 2 wheel drive on a boat ramp. We lose a average of a half dozen here a summer to the lake.

Chris

Some of the best free entertainment happens around boat launching ramps!:boat::cool:

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #84  
Reasons I hate New trucks and won't buy one:

-No manual transmissions
-Full of electronic 'nanny's' (traction control, braking controls, hill descent controls, etc etc)
-GPS/Nav crap
-WAY Excessive body work/sheet metal (horrible ground clearance AND bedsides/tailgate that are higher than your chest)
-Electric everything
-Too plush an interior even in the base models
-MSRP greater than that of a small house

Granted, not all models have all these problems, but this is the way the industry is going in general. I truly think if one of the MFG's would come out with a basic work truck without all that crap they would really sell. Till that happens I think I'll have to go find a nice 70's or 80's vintage truck and completely rebuild it from the ground up to get a decent work truck.

So you want a basic work truck?
Sorry it ain't going to happen when the pickup manufacturers are profiting $25,000.00 per copy on the geeky-mobiles. These gaudyass trucks are the equivalent of the McMansion craze last decade, more show than go.

Run a 2001 Dual Wheel 3500 Dodge Cummins which I consider the last of the relatively plain pickups (and it too has its own drawbacks).
Personally I haven't even looked at the newer trucks in the past 14 years, ain't the least bit interested.

When I was a kid the worst thing that could happen to you was to be dropped off at school or someplace public from a pickup truck. A pickup truck indicated your family was poor, so kids would get dropped off somewhere discreet to avoid being associated with a pickup truck.

Like you I think it the height of wastefulness to spend $50,000.00 on a hunk of tin so you think you can impress your neighbors which aren't impressed in the least. These new breed of pickup owner make themselves poor making $900-$1000.00 payments just to appear to be well to do.

You got to hand it to the marketers, they pulled off the fraud by making people believe they need these gaudyass pickups.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #85  
You have no clue. Step out of this conversation before you make yourself look foolish. No truck of any brand just walks a boat like that up a ramp that I use. Noting is though on a truck then pulling 15,000# plus from the drink. Dead stop, water resistance, wet ramp, 35% grade.

Chris
It's hilarious how defensive you get when proven wrong. Your blind brand loyalty is the only thing foolish in this conversation. Try posting facts instead of stories.

I've pulled excavators out of new job sites down nothing more than logging trails after doing test pits that make you're boats and ramps look like a walk in the park. Even equipment over the trucks capacity since the class 6 trucks are too big for the off road stuff. I bet that wet mud covered in slash is a lot more slippery than some yacht club ramp. Autos overheat and whine when pulling the big stuff up grades just like an HST tractor. The stick shift Cummins with full torque just off idle never falls to climb. The gearing and engine numbers just further prove it.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #86  
Some of the best free entertainment happens around boat launching ramps!:boat::cool:

Yep. Seen divorce's start, trucks wrecked, sunk, a trash truck go in, a Winabego go in, a jack knife by a firts timer that put a 26' boat against the drivers door of a Avalanche, you name it.

Seen a few lose their lifes also. Thats the bad side of it.

Chris

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #87  
Burn!
Keep in mind Chris doesn't understand gearing as we've discovered in previous threads.
With the 6.29:1 1st gear, that "de-rated" Cummins could idle that 25k lb boat up any ramp without a sweat.

By the way people, the Cummins was not "de-rated" for the manual tranny. It was though bumped up to 800lb-ft in the auto version to compete with the others. No need to bump up the manual backed engine, no competition...

You sound just like my 8 year old daughter. I bet you two would get along well.. lol

Chris

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #88  
Yep. Seen divorce's start, trucks wrecked, sunk, a trash truck go in, a Winabego go in, a jack knife by a firts timer that put a 26' boat against the drivers door of a Avalanche, you name it.
Seen a few lose their lifes also. Thats the bad side of it.
What was a trash truck doing on a boat ramp?

Aaron Z

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #89  
The Viper is back; they should make a RAM SRT10 again... Especially if they could make it like those '80's GMC Cyclone's... AWD

RAM used to offer the 6 speed HEMI combo but only in the 2500. Hopefully they will offer it again in the new 2013.

/ Things that I don't need on my truck #90  
You sound just like my 8 year old daughter. I bet you two would get along well.. lol

Chris
:laughing:
Still can't end an argument with actual facts so you have to stoop to the low level of childhood recess antics. Too funny!

So you still have nothing useful to add I see...?
No boat stories of a distant uncle who's RAM diesel blew a clutch hauling your boat that the all-mighty Titan pulls every weekend? :laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.