Think I broke my tractor.

/ Think I broke my tractor. #11  
i've welded on many vehicles and tractors.. more often than not I don't disconnect anything.. I use ac stick welders.

las car I welde don was a saturn ( lotsa electronics ).

I've yet to ever kill a battery or any electronics doing so.

could it happen? theoretically yes.. i believe it's possible under certain circumstances with bad grounds and bad welding practices, or proximity to the electronics.. also perhaps the welding gear.. high freq welders might be more of an issue even from emi/rfi.. etc.

soundguy

/ Think I broke my tractor. #12  
No way. I don't buy the welding causing damage to electronics thing. I think it's an old wives' tale. JayC

You're in deep do-do now pal. Here come all the old wives.:)

/ Think I broke my tractor.
Sorry...no time these days. I fixed my problem. Feel a little stupid. It turned out to be a bad connection at the negative terminal. It is kinda wierd that it appeared right after I welded on it. I don't care now, its working again. I don't know how I lived without a tractor for so many years! I guess I way over analyze my problem. Thought the worst. Always go back to the basics. If the problem would have just appear one morning I probably would have been all over it. I just kept thinking my welding arc something. Is it back to a wife's tale?

/ Think I broke my tractor. #14  
corrosion happens.. just like I said..

soundguy

/ Think I broke my tractor. #15  
Welding on any vehicle with an alternator will cause damage to the electronics-don't kid yourself-It is not an old wives tale.

It has nothing to do with an alternator.

From your reference, "High current associated with welding can damage wiring that provides a ground path. Electrical voltage spikes caused by welders can damage electronic components."

So, don't ground your weld through an in-circuit wire (which would be awfully hard to do in the first place), and don't hit a circuit board with your stick. If you're welding a frame, bucket, or anything else that's a big chunk of steel, and you put your grounding clamp anywhere even remotely close to your weld, you absolutely CAN'T damage anything.

JayC