Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters

/ Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
I wanted to put a filter on my 3 point unit to save the tractor should some dirt or gasket go through the system. Well I should have read a bit because the filter exploded about 20 seconds after it came under pressure.

Is there a way to filter the 3 point type splitters? I guess ther is really no low pressure side to that setup.

/ Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters #2  
The tractor has it's own filter, the 3PH implements don't need one.

/ Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters #4  
I wanted to put a filter on my 3 point unit to save the tractor should some dirt or gasket go through the system. Well I should have read a bit because the filter exploded about 20 seconds after it came under pressure.

Is there a way to filter the 3 point type splitters? I guess ther is really no low pressure side to that setup.

Is there any reason that you can not run the return hose off the log splitter valve and go through a filter and dump it in the reservoir/tank.

How are you providing hyd to the splitter now?

Are you using a hose from the PB port to the back with a QD on it?

Where is the return hose from the log splitter valve going now?

/ Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters #5  
Most, if not all the contaminants travelling through your log splitter's hydraulics are going to come FROM your tractor. If your tractor has a hydraulic filter, the hydraulic system is protected.

You are over-thinking and over-worrying.

/ Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters
The hydraulics are being supplied through the rear auxilliary port. I have taken the filter off and it is working kinda. I have a disagreement between the pressure relief on the tractor valve and the detent but I am going to slowly back down the detent until it quits throwing the tracktor valve .

/ Think I found out today why 3 point splitters dont have filters #7  
ditto what rickb said. if the hyds are coming FROM your tractor.. that small closed system from the splitter is unlikely to introduce anything into the system that wasn't already there.

soundguy