Think I have a fuel injector problem

/ Think I have a fuel injector problem #1  

Gary Sweat

Platinum Member
After replacing the fuel filter, air filter and installing the TS the engine is running ruff at idle and won't pull at all. I can't even take off in high gear without opening it wide open. Also, hard to start. Acts like it is only running on one cylinder.

I bled the fuel bowl (both screws) and the injector pump screw before starting it up after changing the fuel filter.

Is there a simple way to isolate which cylinder is not working (YM1900) without having to start buying test equipment (pressure gauges and such)?

/ Think I have a fuel injector problem #2  
Take the injectors out and have them pop tested at your local diesel shop. Otherwise, I can't think of a way to isolate the cylinders, short of interrupting the fuel supply to one or the other to see which one is not firing good. And that's a recipe for getting fuel allover the place & maybe some air in the fuel lines to boot.

Wonder how much new injectors are? Shouldn't be a high ticket item........?

/ Think I have a fuel injector problem #3  
Loosen one injector line at a time and see which one makes no difference. I doubt you will spill more than maybe a tablespoon of fuel on the ground.

But think safety. Fuel injected into your skin can kill you.

Injectors for my YM240 (YM2000) were under $100 each after a long Internet search. (or $150 each locally at a truck/farm injector shop).

Are you sure this isn't something simple like the compression release lever jammed? Replacing the TS shouldn't affect how it runs.

/ Think I have a fuel injector problem
Take the injectors out and have them pop tested at your local diesel shop. Otherwise, I can't think of a way to isolate the cylinders, short of interrupting the fuel supply to one or the other to see which one is not firing good. And that's a recipe for getting fuel allover the place & maybe some air in the fuel lines to boot.

Wonder how much new injectors are? Shouldn't be a high ticket item........?

I looked and with the injector and all the other parts (might as well do it all) if I have to replace one is about 150.00 each.

Loosen one injector line at a time and see which one makes no difference. I doubt you will spill more than maybe a tablespoon of fuel on the ground.

Injectors for my YM240 (YM2000) were under $100 each after a long Internet search. (or $150 each locally at a truck/farm injector shop).

Are you sure this isn't something simple like the compression release lever jammed? Replacing the TS shouldn't affect how it runs.

I really don't know what went wrong. I replaced everything and the fluids at the same time. It was running fine before that. I loosened the injector lines one at a time at the injector and fuel shot out while cranking. Haven't tried it one at a time while the engine is running yet.

The engine will start sluggish and if I pull the throttle all the way up it will suddenly start racing up like both are working but then goes back to a very shaky idle. Sort of sounds like one of them is plugged up a little but I don't know which one yet.

/ Think I have a fuel injector problem #6  
If you run it with the muffler/manifold removed, you can see which, or if a cylinder is not firing.

If you run it with the muffler/manifold removed, you can see which, or if a cylinder is not firing.

I can do that but not sure exactly what I am looking for. Should a good cylinder have any flame as it exhausts or something else to compare it with the one I'm having problems with?

/ Think I have a fuel injector problem #8  
I never had to do it, but I think it should be obvious.

I never had to do it, but I think it should be obvious.

Reason I asked is that both cylinders exit into one hole at the exhaust pipe. I'm not sure how to tell which cylinder is exhausting when.

I loosened one injector fuel line at a time and got this:

Loosen #1 injector line and tractor tries to die at low idle
Loosen #2 injector line and tractor tries to die at low idle

Appears whatever my problem is, it is not the injectors.:confused:

The only thing I changed in the fuel system was the bowl filter. I had ran it for a couple of years with the bowl filter bypassed and used an external fuel line filter. The new filter only goes in one way that I could tell by the fit.

Would I be taking a big risk by bypassing the bowl filter to test it with just a line hooked from the tank to the fuel pump?