think trailering when buying tractor

/ think trailering when buying tractor #22  
Thanks Bird. Your comments were helpful. Interesting though that you only had to take a tractor to dealer once - was that because you had no problems, or did the work yourself, or because the dealer came to you ? If I could count on not having to take the tractor in but once over a long period of time I don't think I would invest in a trailer. My concern is also what I can pull - based on some of the comments here it appears that it can be a bit adventuresome at times - and I live in the mountains - foothills. I will look at that issue when I get a tractor. If that makes me too nervous, I will just rent one if I have to go to dealer, or pay to have it taken in. Then may get a smaller one to use on the ranch.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #23  
Ron, each of my Kubotas actually went back to the dealer for minor problems. The 1995 B7100 front end loader would gradually lower by itself whether the engine was running or not. The dealer took it and replaced seals in the cylinders, but didn't help much, so they took it back again and replaced all four hydraulic cylinders and fixed the problem. Then the 1999 B2710 developed a slight rattle that I had trouble locating. I finally decided it was the front drive shaft that seemed to have a little play in it, so I just loaded it up and took it to the dealer myself, then went back after it the next morning. They said they disassembled the front drive shaft, found nothing wrong at all, and put it back together, so I don't know for sure what it was, but whatever they did stopped the rattle.

The only other "repairs" I can remember them having is the fact that the B7100 lost one small nut and bolt that bolted the floorboard to the fender on the left side (the only loose nut or bolt I ever had on either tractor) and of course that was easy for me to just stick another one in there. And the B2710 chewed up and threw the fan belt one day. I still don't know why, but I just put a new belt on and never had it happen again.

Of course, a couple of things happened that I couldn't blame Kubota for. One day I found that the B7100 would fire, smoke, and promptly die for reasons unknown until I discovered that my diesel fuel barrel had water in it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I learned that draining the fuel tank, changing the filter, and bleeding the injectors is actually a very easy job. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And when the B2710 was new, it would start and run fine when it was cold; first start of the day, but after it warmed up and I shut it down, when I restarted it, it would fire and die and I'd have to start it sometimes 3 or 4 times before it would keep running. My brother used it and said it did the same thing for him. I discussed that with others on this forum, and I called the dealer; in other words made a fool of myself because I finally realized the problem was that I was turning the key loose too quickly when it fired (just slipping my fingers off the key) and the spring in the ignition switch was strong enough, it was kicking the key all the way back to "Off". /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Talk about feeling like an idiot.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #24  
Umm, actually Gary, if your tractor can run 13.1 mph, then you can drive it 2.18 miles in the 10 minutes it takes you to hook up the trailer and secure the load. Assuming it takes you another 5 minutes to unload the tractor when you get to your destination, then you could have driven another 1.09 miles. Therefore, one could drive their tractor up to 3.27 miles one way in this scenario before trailering the load would be faster. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And not all of us are proficient enough with loading a tractor to do it in 5 minutes. It usually takes me at least 20. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #25  
That's what I get for trying to do math in my head at midnight. I remember thinking it was .22 miles when it must've been 2.2 miles. Sorry about that. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

As to loading and securing the tractor in five minutes, I have to say having that Warn 8,000 lb. winch on the electric hydraulic tilt bed of my trailer sure makes it easy.

I tilt the bed and pull out my cable then drive my tractor to the back of the trailer. Then I hook onto the front bumper with the winch cable and start pulling her up the deck. When the reat wheels are on I put two J-hooks on the back end and then hook the pear hook connecting them to the floor. When that is pulled tight I level the trailer, attach my safety chain to the front & rear and head on down the road.

Using the same chain marked as to where to hook it helps as does just having done this and other things like this so many times in the past. As with many things, too, there's a lot to be said for having the right equipment for the job, too.

Offloading is actually a quicker process as I just drop the safety chains, take tension off the cable to loosen the J-hooks enough to be removed and drop them. At that point I can either tilt the bed and winch the tractor off or unhook it completely and drive it off.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #26  
Wow, sounds like a nice system. I'd think twice about driving my tractor anywhere too if it were that easy.

/ think trailering when buying tractor #27  
Yeah... It's easy and I'm lazy... It's truly a match made in heaven. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Seriously, though... With that big winch and the steel floored tilt bed trailer with my safety chains, J-hooks and such in toolboxes right on the trailer it's a pretty nice setup. I have to admit that I don't look at trailering anything anywhere as much of a challenge anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #28  
Are you adding the time it takes to hook up the trailer? I have a bumper pull. I have to dig out the stinger, stick it in the Reese hitch, back up, get out and check my alignment, get back in and back up some more, get out and make sure I'm not going to hammer another dent into my bumper, get back in and back under the ball, oops, I missed by an inch! Get back in and fix it, get out and hook it up, drag the trailer out in the street, wait for the traffic to get past and stop their rubbernecking, line the trailer up on the side of the road, go get the tractor, load it and tie it down. Let's check the lights this time, oops, lights out! Durn, shouldn't have looked. Let's shoot some more time in the hiney cleaning connections. Hmm, those two tires didn't look low without 8,000 pounds on the trailer, lets swing over to the tire shop and get a patch and some air. Now, you want to refresh my memory, how long does it take you to load and tie down your tractor? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #29  
I figured five minutes to hook up my trailer and another five minutes to load my tractor. You now have me wanting to time it next time. Maybe I'm wrong. It sure wouldn't be the first time. Before I time myself, though, let me mention a couple differences between your description of the process and what I've experienced.

I keep my stinger in my receiver 24/7. I check my alignment with my mirrors when I'm backing up so it's just a matter of distance to judge. I usually hit that in one or two (more often two) adjustments getting in and out of the truck.

I keep my tires aired and my connectors clean and covered so I don't have to clean them each and every time I go to use them. Once my jack foot clears the ground I can pull a pin on the drop leg and slide it up out of the way then it's back in the truck and go.

I'll freely admit I don't check every light every time. I probably should, but I don't always. I do all of my trailer hooking and loading on my property so I don't have to move the trailer until I'm loaded and ready to go. The only traffic I face is at the end of the drive.

You do tell a fun tale there, but with a point I appreciate. You've convinced me to try to remember to time myself next time I'm going to trailer my tractor somewhere, though. Heck, I'm even curious now. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ think trailering when buying tractor #30  
I pull the stinger because, if I don't, I'll forget it's there and cripple myself on it. Then it gets chucked in the shed because the truck toolbox needs cleaned out. To get the trailer, tractor and truck in the driveway I have to shoot a little angle around the gate to get the trailer right on the edge of the driveway. That kills an easy spot with the mirrors. I might not use the trailer for a couple of months so at least one tire will have a slow leak. With the humidity we have here corroded connections just happen. I have a drop leg jack, that is one handy invention. I want to eventually add a winch to the trailer, right after I install another set of axle brakes. I had an eighteen wheeler pull a stunt on me a while back and I flat spotted the front tires on my truck, I think a little more braking power will suit me just fine! If I haven't trailered the tractor in a while it takes a while for me to motivate myself to get out and check the tires, clean the leaf build up off of the trailer, oil up the ratchet binders that I left out in the rain and all the other stuff involved. If I get off my butt and just do it it probably doesn't take me more than ten minutes either.