Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011)

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #1  

KB9UDE

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320 John Deere x758
I am thinking about buying a new Sportsman 500 for general riding and spraying with a 25 gallon sprayer. Any reason to stay away from the Sportsman series? I have had Honda and Arctic Cat atv's in the past but want to buy from a local and well respected dealer close to me...

Thanks!

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #2  
I have a 2009 850 sportsman and have no problems with it they seem to be pretty well built.

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011)
Thanks!

I think my biggest concern is the belt driven tranny system. I do not plan on hot rodding this machine or riding thru high water. The primary purpose for it is work.

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #5  
I have a 2008 Sportsman and have had no problems. Works great. I am very happy. On the other hand, this is the only 4 wheeler I have owned, so its hard to compare.. It does ride really smooth and has plenty of power.

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #6  
Oh and by the way. Since mine has a plastic or composite "bed" in the rear with a drop down little "tailgate", it made it a little difficult to mount my sprayer, so I built a wooden platform that my sprayer is permanently attached to so I can just drop the whole apparatus in the bed with the tailgate closed. It is really easy to install or remove. I just drop it in the bed and cinch it down with a ratchet strap. My Polaris is the extended wheelbase 2 seater model (I think they call it a 2X) but I think the beds are the same in both.

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #7  
We have a 2005 and a 2008 Sportsman 500, absoultely no complaints other than I wish the 2005 model had the electronic fuel injection. The independent suspension smooths out the bumps and the machines have plenty of power. Also the Sportsmans are made in the USA and the belt drive should do well. We have never had aproblem with the drive system, but there again they have been not been abused.

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #8  
They say variety is the spice of life.Nothing personal to any lady or gent(s) here on TBN,but if it were me I'd buy a Honda Rubicon.Just MHO like I respect others.

Boone

I like the bigger Hondas but not the price. I can get a 500 sportsman for less than 5,000 due to the closeout of 2011's. Kind of hard to beat that price...and I want to buy at a more local dealer.

Thanks for the opinions! :thumbsup:

/ Thinking about a new Polaris 500 HO 4x4 (2011) #10  
I bought a2001 500 Sportsman HO off Craigs List a couple of years ago and love it. Plenty of power, rides good and best of all it is paid for. Every mile I put on it is a mile I didn't have to walk on the farm. It saves beating my truck to death running up the oil well road to get to the fields on top of the hill. I haven't had a problem with the belt at all. Just remember if you are pulling a loaded trailer or skidding logs to use low range. I have hauled better than half a pickup load of firewood in a trailer half a mile down off the hill to the house with it. It don't get babied but I try not to abuse it.