Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #51  
I'm late coming to this thread so maybe this has been brought up about the Duramax. A friend of my dads was at a dealer getting his truck serviced and noticed a row of "newer" heavy duty trucks out back. When he spoke with a friend of his in the service department he was told they were all traded back due to problems with the new diesels. He said the DEF fluid heaters weren't working proper and once temps got below 20F the trucks would have alarms and not run right. I saw some comments on this on another truck forum I sometimes go to after he told me about it.

I love diesels and always wanted one, but the newest ones they put in trucks I don't trust. I have heard Ford and Chevy were having some fuel injection issues. I know a few people with these with problems and read of more on-line. 2 of the engines were in local EMT vehicles, one Ford and one Chevy both only about 1 year old. I know Cummins has had issues with the EGR in every engine they make from the small ones in the Dodge trucks to the large ones in heavy trucks. Not every one, but enough problems that I just can't see spending thousands more and take a chance on having problems.

Now it is possible these problems are over blown, just some food for thought before you buy.

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #52  
Rust proofing is sprsying with an oil based liquid. If you are talking about using motor oil,DONT!! It will not run into the crevices, btdt.

RUST PROOF IT!!

I agree with the others on the rustproofing DO NOT do it. We live in the rust belt and the only thing that actually works is oiling with sheetmetal. CJ

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #53  
Rust proofing is sprsying with an oil based liquid. If you are talking about using motor oil,DONT!! It will not run into the crevices, btdt.

RUST PROOF IT!!

I used to mix used motor oil with kero on a warm day and spray, it went everywhere and dripped out of every seam..Then run it down a dusty road to stop most of the drips..A messy and environmetally incorrect activity nowadays.....Thankfully I don't need to do that anymore

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #54  
Was at the auto show here in Toronto two weeks ago and the GM still has the retro looking dash, this will change in 2014, the HD specs on the Ram were not there day one and were there at the end of the weekend and the 2500 was only now getting the payloads of the Fords and GMs. The sticker for the new dually Longhorn was $82,000, there was no sticker on the door for weights so it was still a non production model. I will be waiting now to see what the next couple of years bring as Ford is bringing more and more eco boosts to bigger models. If the eco boost goes in an eight it may make it competitive with a dsl, perhaps that is why they haven't done it yet because who will buy one then, lots of money down the tube when they lose the dsl production, eh?:2cents:

/ Thinking I might be buying a Duramax soon #55  
It will not run into the crevices,

RUST PROOF IT!![/QUOTE]

I don't normally use motor oil, but you actually believe that oil will not creep into the crevices?? CJ