Buying Advice Thinking of buying a new Boomer

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer #1  

PaulieD

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 35
Gentlemen, when I bought my TC30 10 years ago I knew nothing about tractors. At the time, my wife and I had acquired an old farmhouse on 23 acres and some of my friends and co-workers convinced me I needed a tractor. I became a lurker on TBN, and between the advice I was getting from friends, and the information I found here, I was able to arrive at a decision regarding what my minimal needs were for a tractor. My local New Holland dealer was easy to work with and the TC30 filled my needs list at a reasonable cost. Over time I've had my first positive impressions of my dealer strongly reinforced, and my TC30 has served me reasonably well.

But I am retired now, expect to spend more time on the tractor, have little disposable income I'd like to have some fun with, and the new boomer has a lot of nice features that my TC30 3X9 doesn't have. So, I'm thinking about trading in the TC for the Boomer, but I have seen very little in the way of discussions on the new Boomers on TBN. If anyone out there owns, or has experience with, the new boomers, I would be grateful for some feedback regarding your experience with the tractor.

Thanks, Paul

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer #2  
Don't worry there will be many different opinions coming very soon I'm sure. I will give you mine. I like the new boomers, they are the same tractor that I have with different paint and decals. I have 265 hours on mine and I really like it never have any problems with power and it seems to use fuel very sparingly. I did have one problem a leak at the front drive shaft, but other than being inconvenient it was handled under warranty no problem. Some people don't think there is enough operator room or that they have no leg room but I am 6'2" and I have no problem but mine would be the equivalent of the boomer 50 so it could be larger but the 40 would be the same size. The size fit and leg room is all totally operator preference everyone likes it there way. Have fun shopping and you are right the newer tractors really do have lots of nice features!

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer #3  
I have an LS R4047H, which is the same machine as a Boomer 50. The only significant mechanical difference is that NH installs a significantly weaker loader (which does have about 9-10" more lift height)...it lifts 1,940lbs to full height, at the pins, compared with 2,640lbs to full height at the pins for the LS. LS actually shows only 2,500lbs to full height at the pins on their website, but the actual loader manual shows slightly over 2,640lbs.

I'm just over 100 hours, and all I've had to do was the 50hr service, and add diesel!

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer #4  
My advice would be to try the New Holland and then try the equivalent LS model for comparison of performance and price. My only issue is that if you want an LS tractor, why not go buy from an LS dealer? Just make sure that dealer is strong and has been in business for awhile. If the LS dealer closes his doors, you'll know quickly that the NH rebadged LS would have been a better choice even at a few more dollars. Of course, that's true of any brand. You want service from your dealer for many years. The dealer is easily as important as the tractor. Enjoy shoppin'. :)

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer
Thanks for the feedback. The closest LS dealer is 110 miles away. I thought about looking into comparable Kubota and Kioti tractors, (there must be 5 or 6 Kubota dealers within a 60 mile radius), but I like and trust my NH dealer. Liking comes easy to me, trusting comes a lot harder. For me this is simply a question of whether or not the new boomers are reliable and come close to living up to their promotional literature. Of course, price is a consideration as well, and I should get that this week.

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer #6  
If the LS dealer closes his doors, you'll know quickly that the NH rebadged LS would have been a better choice even at a few more dollars.

If it were only "a few more dollars."

The closest NH dealer quoted me $31k (actually a bit over that) for a Boomer 50 HST with FEL, dual rear remotes, rear work light, and 7-pin trailer connector. I paid $21.5k for the identical equipped LS with a more power loader. $8,500 more for a somewhat lesser product makes no sense at all.

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the information. I've received no negative reviews regarding the Boomer 35, and the folks that have the LS version seem pleased with their machines.

I was very satisfied with the price my dealer quoted for my TC30 trade, so I decided to pull the plug and order my new Boomer. I hope to get it delivered this week. I will post pics after it is delivered. Thanks again, Paul

/ Thinking of buying a new Boomer #8  
If it were only "a few more dollars."

The closest NH dealer quoted me $31k (actually a bit over that) for a Boomer 50 HST with FEL, dual rear remotes, rear work light, and 7-pin trailer connector. I paid $21.5k for the identical equipped LS with a more power loader. $8,500 more for a somewhat lesser product makes no sense at all.

man he was trying to rip you off on the NH. i can sale a Boomer 50 with hydro and the options you mentioned for mid to upper $20's at MOST