Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
Good Evening Guys,
I have been thinking of buying a Ranger 570 for the past year. I have gone on the Polaris website and put together basically what Im looking for.

Am I missing something on the color selection ? I was hoping to buy a red 570 and all I see is green ! My neighbor has a 570 and seems very happy with it,
his only complaint is that he didnt get the all metal plow ! So I guess that should be a hint to me ! :)

Im looking for input from other 570 owners. I plan on using it for chores around the property, and to go visit some of my neighbors when Im to lazy to
walk long distances ! I am not looking to go fast, too old for that !:) But I want enough power to pull some steep hills etc !

Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have !
BTW, I also have a brand new 2000 lb Badlands winch I bought about two years ago, would that work OK on that machine ?

scotty

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #2  
My ranger is the handiest tool I've ever bought, completely replaced the wheelbarrow. It's also quiet enough, powerful enough, and unless you forget to put it in 4wd, pretty much unstoppable in the muck. Other than a replacement battery (the oem one is a pos) not a single issue with it. I would opt for the electric power steering if i had to do it again,I know there are aftermarket kits, but out of the box, power steering would have been better in the woods.

IMG_0785.JPG

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #3  
After a year plus of vacillating, I finally moved on a 2016 mid-size - I wanted one for basically the same reasons you stated - but also decided I wanted it as an enclosed plow vehicle (after multiple big snows in bitter cold and sitting in the open on my Kubota BX) It turned into a serious shopping effort, and travelling 150 miles, to find one with the features I wanted.

My rationale...
- Went mid-size because it would be more navigable in the woods and COULD fit in the bed of the pickup if I solved the wheel well issue. The full size was getting close to my Jeep Wrangler!
- Wanted EPS - low speeds in the woods, navigating around obstacles - thought iy would be nice to have - and it is.
- Wanted ADC - I have steep hills to traverse and figured it would help - and it does, but I have no way to compare with a unit without it

The ADC, in a mid-size, forced me down to one available model - a special edition Hunter Edition. 2016 models came out ~Oct 2015 - each dealer only got one of these - I was shopping in Jan 16 and most were already gone. Found a dealer 150 miles away willing to chase one down.

I then added the Polar Vortex Package - poly doors, windshields, roof and plow (w/ hydraulic angle) . Steel plow is very durable, as you mentioned. 3500# WARN Winch was standard on this model. It is designed for ATV/UTV, and came installed - so I can't help with your winch question.

I didn't add heat (another $800 at the time) figuring I could add it later if needed. After a bitter cold plow outing a year later I wished I had - both for staying warm and keeping windshield clear. This is when I learned that the Polaris OEM heater package will not work with my model because of the EPS. I think I could modify it to work, but don't want to gamble at that price. And there is no OEM windshield wiper for the poly windshield. I will probably add both with aftermarket / custom design later.

Other than needing to man-up with the no heat deal - I have no regrets at all. We still need a big snow so I can truly test its capability on that front - but it didn't break a sweat with the little ones we have had so far.

Probably WAY more input than you intended - but hope some of it helps! Happy shopping!

-Eric

Attachments

• 001 (7).jpg
    001 (7).jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
   / Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570
Good Morning Guys,
Thank you both for your valuable input !

Eric, my neighbor and friend mentioned that he up graded to the glass windshield over the poly because he was worried about eventual scratching !
Your machine looks very similar to what I want. That cab looks very cozy when that wind is whipping up on my mountain :)

Have you had any issues with your winshield ?

Thanks scotty

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #5  
Good Morning Guys,
Thank you both for your valuable input !

Eric, my neighbor and friend mentioned that he up graded to the glass windshield over the poly because he was worried about eventual scratching !
Your machine looks very similar to what I want. That cab looks very cozy when that wind is whipping up on my mountain :)

Have you had any issues with your winshield ?

Thanks scotty

I struggled on windshield selection - wanted the tip-out which was only available in Poly for the 570 mid-size (glass was fixed). As a Jeep owner I am familiar with the issue of "plastic" windows - so the poly worried me some. So far though I have had zero issues - run through the woods with tree branches scraping with no issue. Finally worked up the nerve to use Windex and paper towels, and even a squeegee (big no-no's on a Jeep) - no issues at all. The Poly is very hard. Major dust, sand and gravel may create a different situation however - but I don't have those conditions. I also think that MAYBE the Poly is better in the woods with regards to branches - I have whacked it pretty good once or twice will no ill effect and glass may have had a different result. I do worry that if I add a windshield wiper, I may introduce the scratching issue. And I assume trail riding at speed, with others, where debris is flung, may create a different result as well - but for me tooling around in the woods, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I only have a few dozen hours plowing and moving loads around at relatively low speeds - with a little mild mud bogging just for the fun of it. I defer to the folks with more experience - but so far, for me, the poly is a non-issue - and I am REALLY glad I got the tip-out!

I struggled on windshield selection - wanted the tip-out which was only available in Poly for the 570 mid-size (glass was fixed). As a Jeep owner I am familiar with the issue of "plastic" windows - so the poly worried me some. So far though I have had zero issues - run through the woods with tree branches scraping with no issue. Finally worked up the nerve to use Windex and paper towels, and even a squeegee (big no-no's on a Jeep) - no issues at all. The Poly is very hard. Major dust, sand and gravel may create a different situation however - but I don't have those conditions. I also think that MAYBE the Poly is better in the woods with regards to branches - I have whacked it pretty good once or twice will no ill effect and glass may have had a different result. I do worry that if I add a windshield wiper, I may introduce the scratching issue. And I assume trail riding at speed, with others, where debris is flung, may create a different result as well - but for me tooling around in the woods, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I only have a few dozen hours plowing and moving loads around at relatively low speeds - with a little mild mud bogging just for the fun of it. I defer to the folks with more experience - but so far, for me, the poly is a non-issue - and I am REALLY glad I got the tip-out!

Thanks Eric,
I really have to admit I do like the tip out feature of your windshield, especially when it get real hot ! It does get hot up here at times.

Curious as far as price negotiating with the dealer, are the prices pretty firm or is there room for negotiating ? Also did you have a selection on colors ?

Thanks scotty

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #7  
I purchased a Ranger 400 in 2014. I live near St Louis Mo. The dealers in St Louis would not budge from list price. I went out state and got maybe $500 off list. Several people I know have purchased a Polaris and the go to dealer is Abernathy's in Union City Tn. The discount was worth the trip. I believe they will give you a price online. If I were in the market for a new one I would check them out.

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #8  
Scotty,

I seem to recall there were only 3-4 colors to choose from based on the base model. Choice narrowed even more if you wanted models with predefined options included as standard (e.g. EPS)

In my case - I had no selection in colors since I wanted Active Descent Control - it was only available on the one, special Hunter Edition model which was camo. That narrowed my options to dealers that had it or were willing to chase it down for me. My local dealer had no interest in running it down for me. I found four dealers within 150 miles that had it or would get it. Quotes ranged from 0% to 12 % off MSRP. Some would "discount" accessories but go full price on UTV and vice versa (I can PM my comparison spreadsheet if you're interested). I got REAL lucky with the dealer I finally bought from - they did 12% off MSRP across the board (on initial quote) and comparatively reasonable freight and accessory installation charges. Given that they had to travel ~150 miles to get the unit (sales guy texted me updates and a pic when it arrived), I was very happy with them on all fronts - I considered the 150 miles I had to travel worth the trip.

So I think there is room to negotiate, based on my limited experience - especially if you choose a build that lets you make the dealers compete. I was somewhat at their mercy since I was after a hard to find model.

-Eric

Good Evening Eric,
Thanks so much for all your input along with geblackwell ! You guys have pretty much answered all questions to a Tee ! Im planning on the purchase
by late spring or summer, need a few more dollars :laughing: Although when I add on some of those nicer options its going to drive that price up a bit !

I do think that model would really fit my needs perfectly !

Thanks again,
scotty

/ Thinking of Buying a Polaris 570 #10  
I really like my Polaris Ranger EV. And I am overjoyed that I got evidently the last real GLASS windshield in the world marketplace made to fit my 2010. I was still happy even after it arrived shattered. I worked out what I believe was a fair deal with the seller to have a new glass made and installed with us splitting the cost. Tilt-out at the bottom. I added a manual windshield wiper, but had to modify it with a much longer arm from an F-150 and a much longer blade.

I believe that Polaris has the best suspension/ride of any out there.

Beware of Polaris OEM prices for accessories and any parts *$$$$* :eek: