Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience?

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #11  
vtsnowedin, those are 'Talons', right? I don't see where you mentioned what the chains are you're running.

I've got Aquiline MPC chains on the rear of my Kioti, low profile for not a lot of fender clearance, not quite as aggressive as Talons, but more aggressive than duos. they use a flat bar on each link for gription and won't drop between the lugs on R4s.

I scored these on CL for $350 so I not sure weither these are Talons, Valbys or Norsk brand. I think all three are made on identical machinery as far as I can see. The local dealer in Barre VT gets $1100 for a new set this size and they are worth it new or used.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #12  
Anyone have experience with tirechains.com?

I bought my chains from them. Since you're in NY State, shipping shouldn't be too bad...give 'em a call and you'll get all the costs.
Now, it's possible they may be out of stock for some types of chains by this time. But you can be prepared for next winter!

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #13  
I bought the duo-grip v-bars and I would suggesst the cross chains. The spacing in the patterns caused me to do some home modifications. They would much better now, although I took a slide the other day and im considering something with v-bars for the back side. With r-4's any chains should be fine since the tread isn't nearly as deep as R-1's. I personally prefer v-bars for the longer wear (not that i have ever worn a set out) but if i'm spending money I want some traction.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience?
I bought the duo-grip v-bars and I would suggesst the cross chains. The spacing in the patterns caused me to do some home modifications. They would much better now, although I took a slide the other day and im considering something with v-bars for the back side. With r-4's any chains should be fine since the tread isn't nearly as deep as R-1's. I personally prefer v-bars for the longer wear (not that i have ever worn a set out) but if i'm spending money I want some traction.

I would like the Duo-ladders with v-bars or the talons but man are they expensive. Can't decide if I should wait until I have enough money saved up for one of those or go ahead and buy the duo-ladder combos. For what I do I think the duo-ladder combinations would be enough for me. I am not a farmer, I just use my tractor for hauling wood, plowing snow, moving material, ditch work, etc., but these things are not my regular job.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #15  
If it were me I'd wait and buy before next winter. It's March 1st already! Yeah! You won't regret buying the best you can afford, and some chains like mine are better for plowing than they are for mud or in the woods. The Talon type vtsnowedin has on his Deere are the top of the line, and you will see those type chains on skidders, etc.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #16  
gas, either way you want to go. Chains are a huge improvement over tires in winter/muddy conditions. The only reason I would suggest shying away from the v-bars is if you have paved areas that you are working on (i didn't re-read the thread but i thought you mentioned this.) Actually if you have r-4's Another member and myself debated back and forth quite a bit about the duo's since he had such good luck with just cross chains. My only reason for suggestiing duo's would be if you have tires that will hide a 3/8" chain inbetween the lugs. I dont think there are many r-4's that will even do that.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #17  
I've had these Aquiline Talons a couple of years. They work good for me. When I ordered them it took several months to get them. Seems that the chain dealers order them in the fall and when they run out they don't order any more until the fall of the next year. IMG_0296.jpgIMG_0298.jpg

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #18  
I use 4 link v-bars on all four tires (r-4's) and am very pleased. I have a long hilly section of road to keep open and they work well, snow or ice. I don't have any asphalt to worry about and I use osb on my shop floor when I park it inside for the winter. Tirechains.com were the best price for me.

/ Thinking of buying tire chains. What is your opinion and experience? #20  
I agree that it is handy to have chains with bite (unless you have a paved driveway)...I have always gotten mine from Canadian Chain in Skowhegan Maine Canadian Chains [Agriculture Charts]. The type I have is what they call Agricultural Ladder Type.....they can custom fit these to any size tire,,,3320 chain rear.jpg....they are great on snow, more and ice...useful after an ice storm to "rough up" the driveway.