This little Cat showed up this morning...

/ This little Cat showed up this morning... #1  

Hypernix

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4110
This little Cat 416C showed up at the neighboor's house this morning. I think they were reparing the water supply to his house.

Enjoy!

Hypernix /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 709779-sdscf2276.jpg
    709779-sdscf2276.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 985
   / This little Cat showed up this morning...
Close up of the Tractor/Cab.

Attachments

• 709780-sdscf2274.jpg
    709780-sdscf2274.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 504
Close up of the Hoe. I like this design! And notice that the dipperstick can be extended! Nice feature. I'd like to have this on my 46!

Hypernix

Attachments

• 709782-sdscf2273.jpg
    709782-sdscf2273.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 472
Close up of the Bucket.

Attachments

• 709784-sdscf2277.jpg
    709784-sdscf2277.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 346
   / This little Cat showed up this morning... #5  
They're very capable machines. I was very fortunate to have extensive use of one while we were doing our initial clearing. The owner was between seasonal jobs and was happy to rent it to us for $150 per day; we kept it for several weeks.

Attachments

• 709961-land028-0403.jpg
    709961-land028-0403.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 347
   / This little Cat showed up this morning... #6  
Its called an entend-a-hoe. I think Cat was the first ones to arch the boom.

/ This little Cat showed up this morning... #7  
Hypermix

416C IT. It has an Integrated Toolcarrier on the front. The loader has a paralell lift setup on the front. The bucket can be switched out for forks or any other attachment in a minute. There is a lockout switch in the cab. The tools have two large hooks at the top and two large pin holes at the bottom. To change from bucket to forks you put the bucket on the ground, engage the lockout( it is a two stage process so that you don't accidently disengage) pull the lever that hydraulically disengages the locking pins, tilt the curl down and unhook the bucket, back up and drive under the forks, roll back the curl to hook the forks, push the lever to hydraulically engage the locking pins, and you're done. It took me longer to type this in than it does to change tools. After it is engaged you can shift a valve on the front loader. This serves a dual purpose. It is a secondary safety lockout and it diverts hydraulic to two quick attach connectors on the tool carrier. You now have hydraulics.
I'm looking at a root rake with a clamp for my machine. There are hydraulic brooms for the front end as well as snow plows.

The machines are well designed and are made to work all day long. After having spent a couple of hundred hours working on my property, the only thing I might change is the front wheels. JCB has wheels the same size front and back on some of their machines. On soft ground the front wheels tend to sink in. Four wheel drive is a definite on these machines.

Look for a thread called " Dog Guarding Cat".

RonL

/ This little Cat showed up this morning... #8  
I'm splitting hairs, but "extend a hoe" is a Case brand trademark.

Everyone else has to call it an extendable dipper. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JCB use to have an excavator with an extendable boom called "power slide" which I thought was a great name. They had some problems with it though, Somthing about the latches would fail and the boom would slide right off the machine. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif By the time they fixed the problems, the buying public swore off them and they discontinued the feature.

Why have I retained all this useless knowledge? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ This little Cat showed up this morning... #9  
The extendable dipper stick is a great option on a backhoe, but Cat Screwed up by putting it on backwards. The wear pads are on the dirt end so they were out 10 times as fast as a Case. Another thing with the Cat is if you don't get the tool carrier option it only has 1 cyl for the bucket and it doesn't have as much down curl as the other machines of comparable size. HTH, Nat

/ This little Cat showed up this morning... #10  
Never had any problems with our 416 with the extendable dipper (original wear pads) or the down curl of the front bucket. This is with almost 4000 hrs.

For those that are interested though, our machine has had to have the dipper cylinder rebuilt twice, and needs it again. The placement on top of the boom allows rain water to etch the chrome cylinder rod. By parking the machine an lowering the equiment to the ground, you are forced to either have the dipper cylinder exposed or the boom lift cylinder. Some type of guard here would be a good idea.

We've been plauged with eleictrial problems and rust in the cab. But other than those problems the machine has been relaible, strong and has paided for itsleft 100 times over.