This might be an old question...but

/ This might be an old question...but #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
I have a problem with my Gator XUV diesel (it might not be a problem). When I start the Gator, after about five minutes of running it I get an overwhelming smell of anti-freeze in the operators cabin that lasts until the machine is stopped. I run the half poly windshield, and the heat also in the cabin area is profound. This is clearly worse now than it was when I bought the Gator. The Gator does not smoke nor does the engine itself seem hot. The coolant level seems to have dropped slightly but not to excess. The machine does not leak and there have been no puddles of green coolant underneath the Gator. I do think, though, and this is highly subjective, that the diesel does not seem as punchy recently as it used to. My dealer, who is great, is about two hours away, so I would like to gather some thoughts about whether this is really a problem before I haul my machine down there and back. If it is just a normal occurence then I will not be concerned about it.

John M

/ This might be an old question...but #2  
John did you ever try washing out the radiator with a presuure washer? Just curious if the smell was coming from up front while your driving or weather it is coming from some where else. Do you have a heater? Maybe the core could be weeping and burning it off before you notice a puddle. Of course the same could be said for anywhere on the machine. I would pressure test it while cold so to seee any visible leaks. I would also check the hose clamps on the Coolant tubes that go in the tunnel in the middle of the gator. On more than one occasion I found the one or both clamps loose. This alows the coolant to trickle down the tunnel and it usually evaporates in there.

As far as pep in the step. You will have to make sure the engine is running at full throttle. Make sure the cable is traveling the full distance on the govenor linkage on the injection pump.

/ This might be an old question...but #3  
I've had this happen with heaters in cars that I've owned. The core in them had a small leak. It wasn't enough to see water in the car, but you could smell it and it would fog up the windshield. Do you have a heater or defrost for the windshield?

Good Luck,
Eddie

/ This might be an old question...but #4  
Its a fairly common problem with the Gator. There are hoses that run from the front to rear and the connections in there sometimes leak. I had a hard time finding my leak, and I would only get the smell when the engine was fairly warm. I ended up adding some silver soder to the coolant and it stopped it completely.

Here is another thread on it.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/atvs-utility-vehicles/137039-gator-620i-problems.html

/ This might be an old question...but
Thanks, I knew I had seen, and even posted a comment on a previous thread, but could not find it. With the warmer weather this problem has definitely become more noticeable. I cannot detect that my engine "runs hot" from any of this, but I certainly do not want any engine damage. Thanks again.

John M