This old Baler....used Deere 568

/ This old Baler....used Deere 568 #1  

Kyle_in_Tex

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4310,JD5420
My buddy is looking for a baler that will net wrap. His old one doesn't have it.

There is a baler for sale on my way to work, from a stranger. 2007 Deere 568. Mega wide, big balloon tires, cover edge wrap.

It has had 14,000 bales run through it.

Should I run away, or what all should I look for that might be worn out.

Asking $13,000

The few things I know about are the pins in the belts, checking the chains and sprockets (mainly sprocket teeth) for wear. Look for hydraulic leaks. How do you check to make sure the internal sheet metal is not near worn thru?

This unit has been sitting on the side of the highway for at least 4 months. Possibly too high or some defect that a knowledgeable person would know about?

How do you kick the tires on a big round baler like this?

Thanks!

/ This old Baler....used Deere 568 #2  
I've owned/baled hay with JD rd balers since the mid 80's & baled over 150,000 bales with them. 14,000 bales isn't very high bale count. 467(twine only) I traded had 30,000 bales on monitor for present baler 467 with netwrap which now has over 26.000 bales on monitor. On another site I frequent a gentleman stated he had a JD 568 rd baler with 75.000 bales on the monitor. Only way to determine if insides of balers has holes worn in them is open door a little bit then move gate lock valve to lock gate open then inspect bale chamber. Unless baler has baled majority of bales as corn stalks or peanut vines I'll bet sides are fine. If sides have wear one can install side enhancement sheets offered by JD dealer. I've seen used baler prices vary from cheap to high & I think this 567 is in the middle to upper end of prices BUT I've haven't inspected it either. Also Winter equipment price should be lower than Spring. I personally don't like 5 wide rd balers because bales are more difficult to transport/sell. I also think it takes a ""better baler operator to make a LEVEL 5' bale"" compared to 4' wide baler.

/ This old Baler....used Deere 568 #3  
I agree with what Jim said,

And, would like to add that you have to have a lot of tractor to handle 5x6 rolls. If your friend is planning on moving and or stacking 5x6's with a FEL, he will need a tractor that has a weight somewhere north of 7000#
My cousin has a 5x6 and his 9540 Kubota was light. He had to water the rear tires.