This Old Trailer...

/ This Old Trailer... #1  

ColestinValley

Tractor
Branson 3510
Hi All! This is my first post here, as I have developed a sudden interest in trailer suspensions. I bought this trailer used for firewood, dump runs, and to haul my Branson tractor on rare occasions.

trailer%20038.jpg

But I started looking at the suspension and don't understand what I am seeing. Anybody here seen a getup like this? Why is the equalizer tilted like that?

suspension1.jpg

There are some worn parts. I hope that a local trailer guy will have these, as I was quoted $50 to fabricate them.

suspension2.jpg

The trailer has been in use since 1980 and seems to work well, but I'm wondering about the suspension. Any comments from you experts? Thanks for reading!

From the wilds of Southern Oregon,
-Mark LaCoste

/ This Old Trailer... #2  
My local TSC and Rural King carries all them trailer parts you need. As for the load leveler its usually rust and binding. Take everything apart, clean it up, install new nylon bushings, grease all the hardware, and reassemble.

The load leveler part seems weird to me also. Seems like someone either assembled it wrong or welded a rod on the front spring connection point to fix another issue. You may also look at getting new load levelers.

Also check to make sure all the tires are the same size. I have seen miss matched tires do the same thing.

It should take care of the issues.

Man, some of them welds are interesting. I guess they will be all right though since the trailer is 30 years old and still together.

Chris

/ This Old Trailer...
Thanks, Diamondpilot, I've got to find the nearest TSC! Maybe there's one in Eugene, OR. And yes, them are "interesting" welds... Oh well. I should have expected that, since I sent my Dad to look at this trailer. It was sitting in Drain, Oregon, not far from where my folks live, so he volunteered to check it out for me. He liked it, so I had him pick it up. Don't send my Dad unless you want something that's crude and overbuilt.

At any rate, it's nice to know that the parts are available. I will definitely take measurements in case a new equalizer can be installed. And I had wondered about bushings... of course, there's none on this trailer. I will be visiting a TSC or a trailer manufacturer ASAP. Again, thank you for chiming in!

/ This Old Trailer... #4  
I agree with DP, something looks funny with the way that leaf spring (on the left) is attached to the equalizer. At least it's not done in the normal manner like how the right side leaf spring is attached. Good thing you have it all tore apart, those hangar brackets are just about worn through! Good luck finding replacement parts, there are also some trailer supply places online that might be of help if you can't find the parts locally.

/ This Old Trailer... #6  
Seems like the distance between hangers might be too close. This link shows the center to center distance for hangers on a 3500 pound tandem axle set up at the bottom of the page.

Trailer Axles for utility and boat trailers

/ This Old Trailer...
Kebo, Sklunk, Mlauk,

Well, you guys gone and made me go outside with a measuring tape. And I'm glad, as we have world-class perfect weather today, with a knockout view of Mt. Shasta.

I measured between hangers and was surprised to find it was 29 1/2 inches, as specified in Mlauk's example. The hangers are not all the same depth, though. The end hangers have the bolt holes centered 1.5 inches below the frame, while the middle hangar bolt holes are 4.5 inches below, so I may need to drill new holes to accommodate a standard equalizer. My weird setup makes my suspension basically a redneck version of this one:

Capture.JPG

However, If I let the shackle links hang vertically (instead of sticking out toward the front supported by that welded rod) I would have a nearly normal setup, like the one in Mlauk's example. Maybe I'll try that. It might even lower the trailer a couple of inches, which would be nice.

Now that Diamondpilot steered me in the right direction I see that "shackle links" are commonly available. There MUST be some within a 60-mile radius. With luck I will be able to decide if a new equalizer is in order, too. Then it's on to brakes and brake controllers.

Thanks for all the help! This is a really active, positive forum. I've had similar experiences with the folks at the Branson tractors forum. I'll have to fill in my profile info so I can be "friendly."

Mark LaCoste

/ This Old Trailer... #8  
Mark

I would just order the rebuild kit listed by Sklunk. I get tons of stuff from this guy and its all top quality. He is just not a EBAY seller, he has a real trailer dealership and knows his stuff. So does his wife. Paul and Robin are first class.

Chris

/ This Old Trailer...
Having driven all over rural southern Oregon to gather a few shackles and bolts I now understand what you're saying. That kit would be perfect. Heck, now I even understand why it would be good for an equalizer to be shaped like that. Sklunk's kit would have been perfect. For now, however, I have a working suspension, and I can take large amounts of junk to the dump.

My next bunch of "problems" will appear when I address the trailer's brakes. They're all haywired. Probably welded into those trailer axels. Ah, well, live and learn.

-m