Those DARN lynch pins

/ Those DARN lynch pins #11  
Never had a disaster, but have had them pop on a rotary cutter a few times that tilted the cutter enormously and messed up the ground. I always carry extras and was able to put one on and continue. Lost one on a box blade once that carved up my road, but it was fixable. Biggest problem I have is getting them in in the first place. My equipment is on uneven ground sometimes and getting it hooked up requires repeats and levers to engage so I can even put the pins in. But I like the washer idea and will try it shortly.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #12  
I lost on while mowing with the rotary cutter. By the time I had found it, the turnbuckle was bent and had to be replaced. Around $100 repair due to failure of a .25 cent part.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #13  
Well. not a loss of the pin per-se.... um.. more like forgot to put in in.

I put on my ballast barrel, and worked with it for 30 minutes on without incident. then I was backing downhill with a sharp turn at the bottom when the left lower link slid off of the ballast barrel's draw pin. of course that side hit the ground, and a few milliseconds later the top link was bent. I had a lot of trouble getting it hooked up on the slope, and in the mud. I found the pin in the top of the ballast barrel where I had left it 30 minutes ago.

I finally go it hooked up, moved to level ground. I managed to straighten the top link by making a wooden fixture and beating on the nut with a 4 pound hammer to not damage the threads.. lots of fun.. I know this makes me look like an ID 10 T, but it can happen.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #14  
I just had the same thing happen last week while bush hogging. I bent two sway bar stabilizers when the pins came off. Stuff happens. Main thing was no major damage to tractor or bush hog but I've got to replace those bars.

/ Those DARN lynch pins
Well. not a loss of the pin per-se.... um.. more like forgot to put in in. I put on my ballast barrel, and worked with it for 30 minutes on without incident. then I was backing downhill with a sharp turn at the bottom when the left lower link slid off of the ballast barrel's draw pin. of course that side hit the ground, and a few milliseconds later the top link was bent. I had a lot of trouble getting it hooked up on the slope, and in the mud. I found the pin in the top of the ballast barrel where I had left it 30 minutes ago. I finally go it hooked up, moved to level ground. I managed to straighten the top link by making a wooden fixture and beating on the nut with a 4 pound hammer to not damage the threads.. lots of fun.. I know this makes me look like an ID 10 T, but it can happen.

Ha! No, that doesn't make you look like an idiot, or anything similar. It does, however, make you look very human. I've tried to drive off without hooking up the top link several times.
If you haven't facepalmed a few times, you've never run a tractor much. :)

/ Those DARN lynch pins #16  
When my tractor was delivered the lower lift arms were attached with lynch pins. After dropping a lift arm while mowing brush, and having the mower climb a rear tire, I replaced the pins with bolts.

/ Those DARN lynch pins #17  
When my tractor was delivered the lower lift arms were attached with lynch pins. After dropping a lift arm while mowing brush, and having the mower climb a rear tire, I replaced the pins with bolts.

I like that idea. On the other hand, that still leaves room for my idiot happenings.....er...humanness.:D
Cheers,
Mike

/ Those DARN lynch pins #18  
I took off mowing at my neighbors with my flail pinned on with only one lift pin and the top link, completely forgot the other side. Ooops!

/ Those DARN lynch pins
Lot's of humans here, I see! Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I have considered replacing several pins with grade 8 bolts with nylon insert lock nuts. (ones I don't remove often) Grade 8 bolts DON'T break, and no amount of vibration will loosen a nylon lock nut. TSC sells them by the pound. Don't remember exact $, but they're cheap.

As for forgetting to hook up stuff -- i got no fix for that. :)

/ Those DARN lynch pins #20  
I'm a bit paranoid about losing lynch pins. The first time the pin doesn't function properly or feels easy to open, I pitch it. I carry replacements in the toolbox.

I've never lost one from the top link though.

When I was a kid my Dad always used the kind that the pin is short enough for the clip to go past it. If he couldn't find that kind and had to buy the longer ones, he cut the pin off. I've looked for that kind for several years but can never find them.

I made several pairs of the washered pins. They work great for hitching a QH to a pinned implement. Keeps the washer out against the end of the implement pin for easy hookup.