Thoughts on our house plans, please?

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #11  
Eddie, as always, makes good but direct points. :)

I don't know where you are in your "visioning" process, are you willing to begin anew or is this basically what you want with maybe minor changes?

There are things in your house that I would not do. In fact, I wouldn't build that style of house at all, but it ain't my house :laughing:

Help us understand a bit how committed to this design layout are you, please.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #12  
One of the odder ( for this area at least ) things we did when we built, we placed the dishwasher on the same side as the garbage disposal. Since we are all right handed that is where it went. We also made the doors all at least 3 feet wide, and the halls 4 feet wide. God forbid we need to get wheelchairs , but we have the width ( also makes it easier to move stuff in and out ). One of the handy things is a combination mudroom/laundry room that opens into a full bath. Come in dirty from working outside and get clean before dinner. We also over insulated (according to the builder) by a factor of at least 2, as well as over cooled the structure. Highest electric bill in last two years-less than $165--3500SqFt and 8 tons of a/c in texas and house stays at 72 degrees. If you plan on staying in the house then it is easier and cheaper to get it right than to redo it later.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #13  
I'm not qualified to comment on your floor plans specifically, but I do want to add that I have been amazed at what a difference a professional architect makes in designing a floor plan. For example, if you study the floor plans at Tumbleweed Tiny House Company I think you will be really impressed at what Jay (the architect) manages to pull off with just 200-900 square feet to work with. When I create floor plans in software like you have used, they always end up looking like somebody just stuck some squares next to each other and put some doors in between them or something. Somehow, when a professional does it, it ends up "right". I guess that architecture degree is good for something.

As fun as it is to lay out a floor plan, there is just so much that I don't know because I don't do it all the time. On top of that, designing a floor plan is an artistic endeavor as much as it is a technical one, and I'm not an artist. I would suggest that you re-think your decision to DIY and engage with a professional. You're going to spend a lot of money building this house; what's another few hundred or even a thousand to get an excellent floor plan?

I would also add that, although you intend to retire in this home, circumstances don't always work out like we intend, and if you ever do have to sell it, having a very personalized floor plan is going to really make that difficult. You may love the two staircases, for example, but other people may just turn up their nose.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #14  
Nice looking house. No criticism meant here, but you asked for toughts, so here goes. O.k.? :)
Some things I would be concerned about.

That area over the rear of the house with the sliding doors (sunroom)... the roof of the garage slopes towards the house. The water will wash down the garage roof and onto the shed roof with the skylights and actually run UP the shed roof before slowing down, then turn 180 degrees to roll back down and dump right over the service entrance door on the back of the garage. In major rainstorms you will see trouble in that area and over time, the shingles will fail and the water will run UP under them.

You show no downspouts on your gutters. With all those peaks and valleys, there are some areas where you don't have a place for a downspout for a gutter over a roofed section. As an example, 2nd floor roof gutter over the master bedroom closet has no place to dump water and no good place for a downspout. Same thing goes for the 2nd floor roof over the family room.

A walkaround porch is great. I want one. Use your design program to place some furniture on it to see if you have room to sit AND walk around it without making people get up.

You also show no way to get off the porch at the right rear side. Be sure to include steps, etc... to get off back there. You don't want a dead end back there. ;)

Your study door and front door will interfere with each other. Try to imaging you and your wife standing in that front entryway greating another couple. All four of you won't fit without standing in the family room, on the stairs or in the area to the left of the stairs. Also, where are you going to hang your guests' coats?

I like the little study with the walk through bath, but it is too small. Again, use your design program to put some furniture in the room.

You can't get from the 2nd floor to the kitchen without going through the dining room or family room.

The dining room is not wide enough to get around the table and chairs when people are seated. It is also not long enough for large gatherings. We have a 14' dining room with a table that expands from 5' to 9' to sit from 6 to 10 people. A 9' table in a 14' room only leaves 2.5 feet at each end. Not enough room to get into a chair with arms, and not enough room to walk around while people are seated.

You will have trouble getting large furniture into your master bedroom with a right angle turn in a 4' wide hallway.

That's a gigantic shower with a lot of tile to scrub every week.

I like the separate toilet stall.

Where's your wife going to do her hair and makeup? Not in that hot steamy bathroom.

The family room is nice. Only issue I have there is there are three entrances, so it really limits how much seating you can have in there. For instance, you can't have any seating to the left of the fireplace due to the door that opens into the room there.

Three people can't sit at the end of that kitchen island.

Consider moving the refridgerator to the right of the sink. That way you can move food from refridgerator to wash/prep area to cooking. Otherwise you have to pass the stove each time you go from refridgerator to wash/prep area.

Let's haul some groceries from garage to kitchen. You have to go through the dining room. Let's have a midnight snack. You have to go through the dining room. The kids want a drink of milk. They have to go through the dining room. You'r in the kitchen and have to use the bathroom. You have to go through the dining room. :laughing:

The kitchen is one of if not THE most used room in the house. Make it more easily accessible. Try swapping the dining area with the kitchen area if possible, just to see how it feels.

Think about it... you have guests over in the family room and its time to server dinner. They have to go either through the front entrance hall or through the food prep area to get to the dining room. If the dining and kitchen were swapped, they'd just move into the dining room directly from the family room.

Also, you have very little natural light in your dining room as it currently sits. Just the sliding door. Swap the two areas around and you can have large outdoor light on two walls.

One more thing about the dining room.... do you have or want a china hutch or buffet to store dishes in? It won't fit in there with the table and chairs and people, too.

In the front right 2nd floor bedroom, I'd ditch that bump-out closet thing and make that bedroom the craft room then make the existing craft room the other bedroom and build the closet into the existing attic space.

In the left 2nd floor bedroom the closet is too wide for that narrow door.

Again, I think you'll have trouble getting large furniture into the 2nd floor, as there are 90 and 180 degree turns on the stairs.

One last thought.... which way is north and on what side of the house will the sun shine? Try to figure out both the extreme winter and summer solstices in relation to the house placement on the lot. The sun will rise and set in different places throughout the year. In the summer, you don't want the sun to come blazing in your bedroom windows at 5:00am. Also, the north side of the house will not dry out as fast. Wth all those peaks and valleys, and a long covered porch, it could be a problem if, say, the underside of the porch roof is eternally in the shade and never dries out. Also, ice does not melt fast on the north side of the house. As an example, here in northern Indiana, our driveway is on the north side of our house. The ice NEVER melts on the driveway in cold weather due to the shadow of the house while the areas not shaded by the house will melt off by the sun even if the temps get into the high teens as the blacktop can absorb the sunlight and melt it.

Anyhow, nice looking house and a good start for ideas. :thumbsup:

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #15  
Hey Nathan,

Beautiful house. I'd have to agree, there's a lot of roof there. Eddie, or someone else with building experience would know better than I, but I wonder if you'd need oversized gutters to handle the heavier rainfalls.

I'd also agree that study looks pretty small if you want to have it serve as a guest room.

The sunroom looks like a nice getaway spot for you and the Mrs., but I don't think it would serve well enough if you're planning on using it for entertainment.

When you crunch the numbers and come up with your cost estimate, add 10-15% for wiggle room. No plan survives first contact with the enemy. Despite all your hours of planning, as things come together you may still want to make changes on the fly. Or you might unexpectedly hit a lot of rock when digging the basement, etc.

Consider finishing your basement during the building process. The cost/square foot to finish the basement is considerably less than the upper floors. If you do, this will provide you with lots more 'family space'...another den/family room with more elbow room, guest room space, exercise room, bathroom, storage, etc.

I'd also agree there seems to be a lot of wasted space on the top floor. If your children are young, you might think about finishing some of that area as a playroom where they can store toys and build train sets or Lego towns or Barbie cities and the like and it will still be out from under foot in your limited family room.

Good luck on the new place! Hope this comes across as friendly advice and not nit-picking!

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #16  
My wife and I built our house 7 yrs. ago....our grand daughter lives next door...she was 8 yrs. old then so we built a huge bonus room upstairs for her playroom ...how big ? well it is over a 3 car garage...so that big...She is now 15 yrs. old and getting her learners permit to drive....she has not been in her playroom for at least 3 yrs...We also built a large Tree house for her...has not been used in about 3 or 4 yrs....Time flys...You say you and your wife will not use the upstairs once your kids leave but you , like us will be heating and cooling it, paying taxes on it and will have absorbed the initial cost....I just can't stress how fast time goes by....blink !

Eddie is your best resource....he could really help with with some solid advice....Just sayin' Good luck and don't let the emotions of pride of ownership cause you to overbuild...

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please?
Wow! *All great comments, and some that are hard to argue! *Please don't hold anything back - it takes a lot for me to get upset and I don't mind holding my ground and being stubborn when needed. Btw I apologize for any typos. Were driving to Illinois to visit family for the weekend and it's hard to keep everything tidy while typing on my phone. *That was a lot to read and I'd like to respond to everything so here I go:

For starters on the square footage. I'm accustomed to excluding the basement when stating a house's sf. Where we live now (and maybe in most of the country?) that's not the case. So the plan I attached is about 2650 if I remember right for the first and second floor. When we get quotes from builders we intend to bid out the basement finished and unfinished. *I can see benefits either way. But depending onwhat the basement ends up being that will bring the total finished sf up to 3500-4000. *I'm only 34 now but when my wife and I are empty nesters in ~20 years I expect the second floor and basement to be largely mothballed unless theres guests and we'll spend most of our days on the first floor (or in the shop for me).*

As far as reducing the overall finished sf, you're preaching to the choir. I'd love to not pay for a big house. It's tricky though to make the family room, master closet , kitchen, sunroom, etc bigger and decrease the overall size. Its hard to balance comfortable room sizes versus overall house size. *Thats why we've used rooms from our own house and friends houses for reference. In total, building a 2700 sc house over a basement doesn't seem too outlandish.*

I hope that what I've submitted doesn't convey a lack of time and planning. I*am a busy professional in a non-construction job. By the time we get the kids in bed the only time We really get to work on this is at night. That's why I thought working with an architect friend of mine would be best. So we worked with him for about 2 months and $4700 later we had a 5600 sf behemoth that had nice features but would have been scary financially. *So we took a break for a couple of months and looked through eplans and houses.com as well as magazines and books. It just wasn't getting us where we wanted. So I bought the home designer program in February and have been working on it off and on since, mostly in motivated spurts. I think if I went back to my wife and suggested we scrap this plan and go back to eplans she would murder me in my sleep. By no means do I think this plan is perfect but I'm not going to deviate a whole lot from the overall concept. We like 1.5 story craftsman/farmhouses with first floor master suites over walkout basements *I'm coming to you guys for opinions and moderate changes. For instance I can totally tweak room sizes or swap the kitchen and dining. As for the second stairs, this is a luxury I know. I hate to sound romantic but as a kid always thought that would be neat. Now I can afford it and while I'm typically very reasonable, this is something unique that I want to make work unless there's no other option but to eliminate it.*

As for my background, I am the oldest of three boys. I grew up in rural Missouri. My parents were do it yourselfers before DIY was cool. We built 3 houses when I was growing up plus about a dozen remodels. I've been married for 8 years and convinced my wife to live through 2 flips. As a frame of reference I would be comfortable being my own gc but it doesn't make sense financially as my time is more valuable at my job than it is at a jobsite monitoring subs. In a nutshell I have more experience than many that aren't working full time in construction , but I'm far from knowing all I need to know to build a house.*

The sunroom is more of a hideout. Not an entertainment space. The roof is good as to water runoff, it just doesn't convey very well in the pics.*

The house will face sort of southwest. I wanted to keep the kids rooms on the front of the house to avoid sunrise hitting their windows.*

The porch on the right side of the house will be elevated over the walkout basement so no stairs there.*

I'll look back and see if I missed addressing anything.

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please?
A couple of other things:
Eddie, saying that the second floor is more expensive than building on the first floor seems to go against conventional wisdom. For instance, based on what my banker friend tells me, right now they're appraising out new construction loans similar to what were planning at $100/sf first floor, $80 second floor, and $40 *finished basement. *

Noted on the door swings, I've tried to watch that but will look again.*

The overall kitchen layout is up in the air.*

We were thinking some sort of solid surface for the walk-in shower.*

All of the first floor doorways and halls are at least 36" and 48" respectively.*

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #19  
A couple of other things:
Eddie, saying that the second floor is more expensive than building on the first floor seems to go against conventional wisdom. For instance, based on what my banker friend tells me, right now they're appraising out new construction loans similar to what were planning at $100/sf first floor, $80 second floor, and $40 *finished basement. *

Noted on the door swings, I've tried to watch that but will look again.*

Sounds like your banker is saying that the second floor is worth less then the first floor, and the basement is worth even less in the overall square footage of the house.

Price to build vary all over the country, but when you factor in the cost of the stairs, the loss of floor space and the price to build the second floor and have the roof on top of the second floor, it's about 20% more to build the second level then it is to stay one story.

Some of the comments that the other guys made where really good. I understand that you have put a lot of time into this plan, but when considering that you will pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to build it, doesn't it make sense to build the best house that you can?

If you are not seeing a good plan on eplans, it might be a good idea to talk to a pro and learn what makes a good plan. Talking to a realtor might be a good idea too. While you might think this is the house you will die in, it's always smart to build a house that will make you money and be able to sell quickly if an opportunity comes up to relocate. I know several people who are going through this now. Some where able to sell quickly and are enjoying what life is offering them, others are hating life and wishing they didn't put so much money into a house that nobody wants.

It also looks like you put a lot of time and effort into the exterior look of the house. This is really just cosmetic and shouldn't be part of the plan until you get the layout figured out.

I hope you know that we're not picking on you. Everything that I've read has been positive and helpful. You can build what you want, but if you what everyone is saying, you will see that the plan is severly flawed and in need of a major overhaul. Tweeking might fix a small part of it, but you can't tweek two stair cases, rooms that are cubed, a maze of a layout and an upstairs that doesnt make any sense.

You might also reconsider using friends for advise. They are great for helping out and support, but not always so good to tell you that you are making a mistake. A pro will have experience and a track record of what works and what doesn't. A building is also a very good source on what works, and what doesn't. Most builders draw plans and have a source of plans to look at. They can also tell you why what works and why other things dont.

Eddie

/ Thoughts on our house plans, please? #20  
Thanks for clarifying your desire to stay fairly close to this plan. In spite of your fear of spousal-cide, you can always revisit that. :laughing:

I have to agree with those who say try swapping the dining-kitchen around. I think to do that you would need to move the sunroom door out of the corner, doors in a corner are wall space killers in general, but really bad in a kitchen.

As your plan is now, you are burning too many sq ft. in the kitchen for the overall size of your house. The walk space around the island, and the long ell counter layout are what is causing that. And, as your island isn't plumbed or setup to be a complete work space, you will spend a lot of time with your back to the dining room and island while at the sink or range.

A type of kitchen you could try is the "galley against the wall" where the back wall has the range and frig., maybe a wall-warming oven, and there is a long counter in front of and parallel to that with a fairly centered sink+dishwasher, maybe an under-counter wine chiller. It is a compact, efficient work space, all the mess is out of the visual horizon if you make a half-height wall for the sink side, yet you can see everywhere. You can also combine high or low bar seating on the outside of the half-height wall.

A butler's pantry type of floor to ceiling storage can handle more kitchen stuff at a much lower cost than a string of kit. cabinets.

You could try some traditional farmer's kitchen layouts with a central but larger table. Those tables doubled as kitchen work space. Moss is right about the dining room sizing, it's almost large enough to be well utilized but not quite. For a separate dining room like that, they have to be big. At least 4' wider than yours and longer wouldn't hurt either. Adding cabinets, hutch's etc. along a wall or in a corner offloads that storage space from the kitchen cabinets and adds character to the dining room--unless you have a bunch of Picasso's for the walls :laughing:.

Big kitchens are popular, I know, and the kitchen is a busy room, but that is one place you could optimize your plan I think. You should end up being able to add some space to the family room. Not every kitchen has to be a monument to Cook's Illustrated - just sayin'. Kitchens have become the guy's tool syndrome. When I think back to the food my granny made with practically nothing by today's standards, it isn't the tools.

You are in trouble if one of your kids takes up the piano, and gets technically good enough to outgrow the small electronic keyboard style. :)