Thread Heading

/ Thread Heading
<font color="red"> Kinda like "tandby generators" when the poster probably meant "Standby Generators" ? </font>

That was the heading that spurred my post

/ Thread Heading #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Kinda like "tandby generators" when the poster probably meant "Standby Generators" ? )</font>

At first glance I thought it was "tandy" and wondered when Radio Shack started selling generators. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Thread Heading #13  
<font color="blue"> Is it possible to correct the heading of a thread after it has been posted with responses? </font>
This just occurred to me...Why would we want to do this? Just curious what problem an 'incorrect' heading causes? I want to make sure that if there is a solution, that it addresses the problem.

/ Thread Heading #14  
Because to me, if I made a mistake, I'd like to correct it. Hopefully before anyone sees it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Thread Heading #15  
Isn't that what the preview feature is for? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This feature is used to review your posting and make any changes/modifications/additions/deletions, including to the heading, before you post it the first time.

/ Thread Heading #16  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Isn't that what the preview feature is for? )</font>

Of course it is, and I use it all the time, but you're assuming that the second or third time I read something, I'll catch the mistake I made the first time, and that ain't always a safe assumption. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Thread Heading #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( ... but you're assuming that the second or third time I read something, I'll catch the mistake I made the first time... )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like they say, Bird...."Been there, done that!" /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sure, it is easy to miss a mistake when the posting is previewed. But I think that a lot of the posters don't even bother to preview what they've typed before they post it.

We're never going to get away from mistakes getting into posts. But I'd rather deal with the occassional typo in a Heading, or a mispelled word in the body of the text, than put up with the title of a thread changing 2 or 3 times over the life of the thread.

Just my $0.02. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Thread Heading #18  
<font color="blue"> ( But I'd rather deal with the occassional typo in a Heading, or a mispelled word in the body of the text, than put up with the title of a thread changing 2 or 3 times over the life of the thread. )
</font>

I totally agree. Even if there is a mistake in the Heading -- it is still an identifier to the specific thread, and you don't have to worry about someone changing it midstream and morphing it into something else.

/ Thread Heading #19  
It's 'six of one, half dozen of the other'. Allowing Subject Line alteration causes as many problems as it solves. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Thread Heading #20  
Mike, I can only think of one minor reason to correct a heading. For the search feature. Not many people will be looking for Tandby generators. Of course, the search will pick up the correction in the first post probably so I don't think that one reason is worth the confusion created by changing a heading.

Here's a thread header that could never be touched:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( WELL DONE!!! FER ALL TBNER'S AND BETWEEN GATOR BOY )</font>

Who would guess that this is a valuable tutorial on water well pump installation? Anyone who happened to read it that's who and if you changed the title to say "Gatorboy's well" it would lose all it's charm and character.

Everthing seems to be working fine and you know what they say about fixing stuff that ain't broke. My vote is leave all the headers alone.

Mike