three cheers for the toothbar

/ three cheers for the toothbar #11  
Yeah, the Piranha and some others look great for digging. I went with the RachetRake for mostly brush clearing. On and off in about a minute.

/ three cheers for the toothbar #12  
I have to agree that toothbars add versatility to any FEL and in some cases its the only thing that will make them get in the ground on hard or rocky dirt. NOW if have a back hoe which I use to remove those pesky vines and small trees. With the long teeth on that, I can reach in and get lots of stuff and clamp down on the vines in the trees and pull them down using the hydraulic thumb. Without a backhoe, a toothbar is a necessity. It can dig in to an extent that you can warp your FEL if you arent careful though so a word of caution on new users of them.

/ three cheers for the toothbar #13  
I have had my tractor for about three years now. I have a backhoe as well as the FEL and I previously used the backhoe to break up the hard clay around here before moving it with the bucket. I put off buying the toothbar for too long. After I got it, I felt really stupid (cheap) for waiting as long as I did. I am soooo glad I have it, it makes many tasks easy. I did make a few modifications to the installation over the basic instructions. I added additional steel gussets at the front of the bucket to give the bucket added rigidity. The toothbar also comes with the necessary fasteners (2), but were sized at 5/8 inch so I went to a 3/4 inch Grade 8 fastener with fender and lock washers. What is nice is the ability to remove the two fasteners and remove the toothbar. It takes me 5 minutes to install or remove the thing. It does not get much easier. Don't wait, get one while you are thinking about it! You will not regret it.

Amen brother! Well said!:thumbsup:

/ three cheers for the toothbar #14  
To smooth and back drag with mine, I tilt the bucket up, which moves the teeth away from what I'm smoothing, and use the back edge of the bucket. This works very well for me.

/ three cheers for the toothbar #15  
Yes, toothbars are a must if you do dirt work. I have 2 of them, one is a standard and the other is a flat one. I kept popping teeth on the flat one (72" bucket) and bought the standard model. I use the flat one when I am doing finishing work and the standard for the heavy cutting. They make an incredible difference. I also have a Horst rock and debris bucket which is great for grubbing and fencerow work. I couldn't afford these years ago, but I should have found a way to afford them. What a difference they make!

/ three cheers for the toothbar #16  
I looked at the ratchet rake real hard but liked the Piranha for its overall rigidity and duribility. I read reviews and comments on TBN and that helped me narrow down my choices. I like the idea of having two but for now I'll save the cost of that acquisition for some other implements of destruction. The Horst rock and debris bucket would be an awesome addition, as well as a rock rake!

/ three cheers for the toothbar #17  
GreenAtLast said:
I looked at the ratchet rake real hard but liked the Piranha for its overall rigidity and duribility. I read reviews and comments on TBN and that helped me narrow down my choices. I like the idea of having two but for now I'll save the cost of that acquisition for some other implements of destruction. The Horst rock and debris bucket would be an awesome addition, as well as a rock rake!

I can't imagine the Piranha being any more rigid than the RR. It's a 1/2" thick or better all the way through. I've used mine for about 15 hours in tearing out honeysuckle, scraping together old down trees, leveling off soil and digging out a huge rock pile. So far I don't think I've even scratched the paint.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. It's all in what you need to do..