3-Point Hitch Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor #1  

cpy911

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 445, Craftsman GT 6000, Yanmar YM186D
My new to me Beaver III is receiving lots of good service, almost replaced all fluids and applicable filters. One thing that I knew going in pre-purchase was the three point lift is stuck in the up position.

I did some work recently on it and removed the piston cover to get a view in there. I did have some hydraulic fluid come out of the bore. I was trying to eliminate the possibility of the flow control valve not allowing the fluid to release and allow it to lower. With NO fluid in there, the piston has no pressure on it, so therefore lowering should be possible? I can stand on the rear of the hitch, pound on the arms a little bit and that piston will not budge. (Control lever is in DOWN position btw).

What should I try next?

Thank you.

IMG_4213.JPG

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor #2  
My first thought has to do with whether the valve is actually allowing the fluid to release. My second thought, if you don't get suggestions here. is to place a call to Valley Tractor in Roanoke, VA. I get all my good Mitsubishi info from them: Valley Power

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor #3  
Mine was the same way when i bought it. The previous owner decided to cycle the 3 point with no weight on the 3 pt. There was a slight corrosion on the top of the bore and the piston got stuck there. I took the top of the section off, wacked it back down, disassembled it completly and honed it a little. No problem since

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor
Mine was the same way when i bought it. The previous owner decided to cycle the 3 point with no weight on the 3 pt. There was a slight corrosion on the top of the bore and the piston got stuck there. I took the top of the section off, wacked it back down, disassembled it completly and honed it a little. No problem since

Thank you. When you put the hydraulic case (top section that is held on by like 8 bolts) back on, did you use any RTV or sealant between the mating surfaces? Or did you just set it back on and torque it down? Did you replace the O rings?

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor
I pulled off the piston assembly today. I can see the piston is nicely stuck and protruding. I assume it is the entire round thing I am pointing to in the picture. No amount of pounding is getting anywhere. I noticed a "plug" that I can see in the other picture. That would give me good pounding access. But, I am not able to get the plug off...is it threaded?

Any pounding ideas to get this guy unstuck would be great!

piston.JPG
piston 2.JPG

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor #6  
The plug in your pic. looks like a welch plug to me. Assuming there is no springs being held by it. Welch plugs are removed by drilling holes in them, or chisel them out,---they are a one time use thing.---Check for sure what's behind the plug, then proceed with removal, IF you have a new plug to install!
That looks like steel piston going into luni bore and that being the case it's fused together.---steel and luni do not mix!

I pulled off the piston assembly today. I can see the piston is nicely stuck and protruding. I assume it is the entire round thing I am pointing to in the picture. No amount of pounding is getting anywhere. I noticed a "plug" that I can see in the other picture. That would give me good pounding access. But, I am not able to get the plug off...is it threaded?

Any pounding ideas to get this guy unstuck would be great!

View attachment 645369
View attachment 645368

Success. Got it all working!
Thanks for your support.
These tractors are actually fairly simple to work on...just takes time and patience.

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor #8  
I've got a similar tractor that the three-point goes up slowly or not at all unless I use full throttle. Now it doesn't go up all the way unless there's no load on it. Any pointers from what you saw inside there? Any more photos?

I've got a similar tractor that the three-point goes up slowly or not at all unless I use full throttle. Now it doesn't go up all the way unless there's no load on it. Any pointers from what you saw inside there? Any more photos?

Hmmm, so it still does move freely up and down? Could your hydraulic pump be failing? Does your front end loader work ok? (You might not have one...so that does not help.)

/ Three point hitch stuck up position. Hydraulic cylinder stuck? Beaver III tractor #10  
I am hoping it's the ram. I saw a video of a guy whose ram stuck and he had to hit it until it freed up. Apparently, you can see the ram by opening up the top cover. There may be something else fishy in there having to do with the hydraulic relief valve, but that may be lower in the transmission where the filter housing is. But I am hoping it's not the pump and I don't have a loader or any other ram.