Three point hookup

/ Three point hookup #1  

Hoobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota mx5100 Ford 641
To attach the top link arm on my 3 point hitch there are 3 sets of holes on the back of the tractor to choose from. So there are 3 settings I can use. What is the difference in these settings? What difference does it make?

/ Three point hookup #2  
To attach the top link arm on my 3 point hitch there are 3 sets of holes on the back of the tractor to choose from. So there are 3 settings I can use. What is the difference in these settings? What difference does it make?
Did you look in the operator's manual?...IIRC my manual said the lowest hole is the common factory position...that the other positions are to make accommodations for possible clearances of some attachments etc...

/ Three point hookup #3  
You can adjust the angle of your top link is one thing they are for. If your top link is set parallel to your lift arms the implement will raise and lower straight up and down - won't roll forward. The steeper your top link compared to the lift arms the more the implement will roll forward when raised. Both have their advantages depending on what you are doing.

Another more subtle thing is that it changes where the force your top link puts on the tractor is relative to your rear axle. When you lift a heavy implement the force on the top link pulls back as to lighten the front end of the tractor. Using a lower hole will lessen this effect. The opposite is when you drag a plow or blade. The earth tries to hold the blade back rolling it forward so the top link tries to push forward on the tractor. This can be used to hold the front end down by using the upper hole and helps counter act the front end coming up because of the heavy drag. Look up Furgeson's (sp??) invention of the 3ph it is interesting and explains this.

If you have draft control on your tractor the choice of holes is part of the adjustment for that.

That is a quick and simple explanation anyway.

gg

Last edited:
   / Three point hookup #4  
Those holes for the inboard end of the Top Link also control gross sensitivity of your hydraulic draft control, if you have it.

/ Three point hookup
Great explanation. Thanks. Been wondering why my logging winch rocks top forward too much. That makes the logs bind and stress the choker chains at the bottom when I lift the winch for skidding. I have been wondering how to make it lift straight up. I will play with adjustment tomorrow. The winch also has two positions for the bottom two hitch points as well.
Sitting in an early blizzard right now

/ Three point hookup #6  
Great explanation. Thanks. Been wondering why my logging winch rocks top forward too much. That makes the logs bind and stress the choker chains at the bottom when I lift the winch for skidding. I have been wondering how to make it lift straight up. I will play with adjustment tomorrow. The winch also has two positions for the bottom two hitch points as well.
Sitting in an early blizzard right now

If you use the upper winch holes for the lift arms (bottom connection) and the top hole for the top link you will get minimum roll forward when you lift the winch. BUT using the top holes for the lift arms will reduce how high you can lift the winch slightly. The other thing you can do to help is to set the top link long so when the winch is on the ground it leans back some. Won't hurt a thing as long as the winch dozer blade can dig in. Your winch is probably a little tall for your tractor 3pt geometry. If you get a hydraulic top link someday it will let you keep the winch straight when you raise it so your hitch doesn't bind up on the dozer blade.

gg

/ Three point hookup #7  
GG, one of the better explanations that I have read.

/ Three point hookup #8  
I have the three top holes on the top link - tractor side. My Op manual indicates they are for sensitivity of the 3-point when you use draft control and for heavy pull or lighter pull implements. Since I have hydraulic top link I've always kept it in the hole for heavy pull.

/ Three point hookup
Tried the suggestions today. Helped a lot and now makes sense. Thank you

/ Three point hookup #10  
Glad to hear you are going in the right direction :thumbsup: And you are very welcome !

gg