Throttle Speed for Cutting

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
I just purchased my first chainsaw - a little Stihl 180 - and have read the instructions over and over, and feel pretty good about how to use it. Still, I have one silly question:

When cutting should I run the saw at full throttle?

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting #2  
My answer is... 98.5% of the time YES.

Nice little saw btw! :thumbsup:

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting #3  
If you are buried in with most of the bar usually. If you are just knocking off small branches and such then I don't use wide open throttle (WOT)

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting #4  
I was told that a chainsaw has two speeds, idle and wide open when cutting (under load). This info is on the Husqvarna website and the claim is that the engines are designed to run at full throttle under load, matching the engines ideal torque curve. The implication is that this is the ideal condition and reduces stresses on the engine. Having said that I have a Stihl MS660 and an Echo 16" for small stuff and both run full out. I use the Stihl with a rip chain for milling lumber and it runs wide open for hours with no problem. I like the Husqvarna site because they have a lot of advice on it and I really don't think there is much difference in small engine operation between brands.

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting #5  
Yes, WOT

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting #7  
Newer saws are designed to operate at idle or full throttle. On some units the carbs allow proper fuel flow at idle and full throttle, but can actually run lean at half throttle.

/ Throttle Speed for Cutting
Thanks all!! Its funny that the manual doesn't address this.

I do like this little Stilhl 180. I'm in my late 50's and have a back that likes to act up, so the weight of the saw was a concern. At the dealer they set a few in a line - small 180 to bigger, and let me handle them to see how they felt (not running). The 180 was a clear winner to me.

I'm only using it to clear small trees - nothing real big. Large standing trees will most likely be handed over to an experienced crew.