Throttle stop--always something new to learn

/ Throttle stop--always something new to learn #1  

MJPetersen

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM 1510-D
Yesterday I finally took the time to figure out this little do-hinky button that I noticed when I bought my tractor, but the sales people did not know what it was either.:confused: It is a throttle idle stop positioner. When you shove the throttle forward the engine normally shuts off. In fact I had adjusted my throttle linkage so that it would do just that. However, when this button is pushed (picture 1) it allows the throttle to move just a little bit further. Therefore, I realized that this button is the "kill" switch.

I readjusted my linkage so that when the throttle is shoved forward the tractor goes to a slow idle. then when the button is pushed it shuts off. Ok I know mundane and normal information for you experts, but I have read several threads that talk about shutting off the engine and idle detents ect. This is the way my tractor is set up. I do not know if this is the normal for yanmar or even all 1510D's but this is the way mine is and I think that it is neat.:cool:

In the pictures with my thumb you will see that the linkage has moved a little bit further in the third picture verses the second. It is that difference that changes idle to shutdown.

Mike In Warsaw

Attachments

• Photo_050407_001.jpg
    Photo_050407_001.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Photo_050407_003.jpg
    Photo_050407_003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 301
  • Photo_050407_004.jpg
    Photo_050407_004.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 317
   / Throttle stop--always something new to learn #2  
Mike,

My soon-to-be-sold 1401D has the same button and works as you described. A few years ago I had another 1401D for a short time that did not have the shutdown button, so it looks like some have it and others don't. BTW, your machine is much shinier than mine!

/ Throttle stop--always something new to learn #3  
Sorry about raising an old thread. :)

Upon reading a few of the Japan Ag websites, a few mentioned that Yanmar made normal models and then added odd letters after the model number to designate a 'special' made for certain Ag customers. Mainly these Ag customers were rather larger companies and have certain requirements. At times, the letter S and others were used such as YM1401DS. When I started looking at all of these extra letters I was stumped and puzzled. It makes sense really.

Not sure IF these YM models were re-decal'ed before being sold to the gray market locations or the refurb folks did a new paint job and placed new decals on omitting the extra letters. Buzzing around the Asian websites, a few of these would show up. -S and -L tend to be the more frequent.

/ Throttle stop--always something new to learn #4  
This would be interesting to know, I like reading up on the history of Yanmar and the things they did, or why they did certain things such as the kill switch.