Throw Away Kubota!

/ Throw Away Kubota! #1  

the_g

Tractor
Kubota- BX2200
Well, I would have never believed this! I own a Kubota B7200 and a New BX2200. Have always had good success with Kubota. A year ago I traded in a John Deere 750 tractor with Backhoe for a 1992 Kubota KH151 Excavator. A month ago I lost a small radiator drain hose while operating it and subsequently fried the motor. It needs major work like a new head, new sleeves, new bearings and pistons, Crank ground, etc. So far the total for parts and labor is up to $8000.00+. I decided to just buy a new complete motor for $5200.00 from the local Kubota Dealer. The problem I have found is that although I can get a price on one their are none available and I have been told that none would ever be available!! This is a 10 year old machine!!!!! I have contacted several sources for a used one to no avail and even contacted Kubota Engine America for maybe a newer replacement that would work. They told me that it was a Kubota Tractor problem and not Kubota Engine? Yesterday I finally spoke to a Customer Service Rep at Kubota Tractor in CA and expressed my sincere displeasure at the answers I have been getting. Am I suppose to spend $8000.00 - $10,000.00 on a 10 year old 12-14K machine for just a motor or just throw away what I have left? This is not rocket science it's a small Diesel engine that runs 2 hydraulic pumps! No clutch, No drive shafts, No transmission! It's just very discouraging and I had to vent! Maybe I'll get lucky with the Customer Service rep. but I'm not holding my breath! Thanks

/ Throw Away Kubota! #2  
You have a very good point and one wonders what is the logic behind Kubota Tractor's strategy. For a tractor that is 10 years old it seems incredible that they would not have a replaceable engine or satisfactory substitute available.
What are they thinking??

Bob

/ Throw Away Kubota! #3  
The g, Check on Ebay. Do a search under Kubota. There are guys selling engines of all kinds real cheap. I bet you will find one in no time!

/ Throw Away Kubota! #4  
Check the availability of a long block too? I have seen the Z600 on e-bay goin' for about 500 bucks, but not the one on the 7200.

/ Throw Away Kubota! #5  
Many companies do this. Look at what happens if your TV goes out. It is cheaper to buy a new one than to fix the existing one very often. But, most likely, it is a $5-10 component that is the problem. It would cost too much to pay a Tech to track down the problem in hourly wage and shop rate than it is for the cost of the TV though.

Things just aren't like they used to be. You know, I can get everything to rebuild my old Farmall "A". I'll bet, even though I like the Kubota I have, that in 60 years I will not be able to say that about my B8200. It's not just Kubota though; it will be the same for other manufacturers.

You know, my Harley(well, not mine, but in general) gets picked on, even on this forum. They are expensive. Some of them had oil leaks years back. But, in every case, they were rebuildable, not disposable. Harley even ran an Ad a few years back comparing a refillable lighter to a Bic /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif You can buy parts to work on or rebuild just about any Harley made. 50 years from now, I know my then great granddson will easily be able to buy parts to restore my '83 FXRS, and maybe even my old Farmall. But I doubt it for my Kubota.

/ Throw Away Kubota! #6  
Great!
Just what I DIDN'T need to read! I'm closing a deal on a new L 48 TLB, and I have to say that it's the most expensive thing I've ever purchased. As such, I plan on having it around for a long time as I plan on being around a long time.
Now I'll be worrying just when components WON'T be available-- in 5, 10, 15 years?
Maybe I need to buy a parts machine as well-----not!

Say it ain't so.

Jim S.

/ Throw Away Kubota! #7  
If you can tell me where I can find a good cheap L48 for a parts machine, I'll be the first in line.

/ Throw Away Kubota! #8  
Without beating a dead horse, I'm guessing that you'll be more proactive on maintenance next time. The cost of replacing hoses and belts is far cheaper than an engine. Kubota probably figured that engine would have a life of twenty or thirty years. Why they didn't stock a few for operator problems is beyond me.

Having said that, I'll put the whip away.

If you don't mind a used engine do a search for Rock and Dirt on the web. That's a weekly construction oriented newspaper which is completely made up of ads. They have an 800 number on their website. Call them and get a free sample copy. There're ads from lots of businesses that part out construction equipment. If you don't have to have it now, an engine will turn up eventually. Since those are small machines, I think most of them went to smaller businesses like plumbing contractors or landscapers. Those seem less likely to come up on radar.

I may know of a guy in the house moving business who has one. The weldment which supports the undercarriage on one side rotted off from salt water immersion. I don't think he'll sell, since he's still using the machine. I will check.

Would you consider selling yours as is?

Another option is to adapt a different engine. I'd suggest an air cooled Deutz. You'll have to do some work, but it can be made to work. Deutz has excellent parts availability. I'm not sure they have the life of a Kubota though.

/ Throw Away Kubota! #9  
There should be lots of that series engines out there. There were quite a number of them used for small marine generators. Plus certain other types of construction equipment, with stationary constant rpm engines utilized them. Skid steer loaders, trenchers,and portable light towers come to mind. Good luck I'm sure you'll find one.

/ Throw Away Kubota! #10  
Russ just gave you an excellent lead. The question to ask Kubota is what OEMs were sold those engines as well as what other equipment got the same base engine. Kubota should know the equipment in which those engines were installed.

With that list and copies of Rock and Dirt and the Autotrader magazines you should be able to find a donor quickly. For example, used light plants can be had for a few thousand. As long as the basic long block is the same, you should be OK with your injection pump and other add-ons.

Kubota should also be able to tell you if anything internal such as the camshaft won't work well in your application.