TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing???

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #1  

Wishbonez51

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3025H
Good morning everybody,

I am having a difficult time trying to find locations to use the 4 point tie down locations on my 3025H when towing on my 16' Dump trailer. The manual states not to tie down to the front axle. I have the back hoe on my tractor for some projects as well. When I tow the tractor without the back hoe I use the back hoe sub frame for the rear, but I am still having issues for the front. I have been told not to tie down on the FEL as well.

Any ideas?

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #2  
Don't tie down the front axle?!? That's where I would do it. If the front axle can't handle the basic stress of a chain or strap, and the weight of the tractor tugging on it while on the road, you're gonna have big problems out in the field someday. But if LS specifically says not to tie down from the axle, well, there must be another obvious spot up front, no?

P.S. You do also need one additional strap or chain to hold down the loader/bucket also, this is a DOT requirement in most if not all states. The loader is an "attachment".

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #3  
Don't you have part of the frame out front....like what a brush guard or weight kit would bolt to?

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #4  
You can buy a couple of bolt on D-rings and either bolt them to the brush guard or tractor frame. I've attached pics. I first bolted mine to the brush guard and later moved them to the frame.
On the rear I tie down through a twisted clevis on the drawbar.

Attachments

• DSCN1399 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1399 (Medium).JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCN1793 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1793 (Medium).JPG
    234 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN1081 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1081 (Medium).JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 344
   / TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #5  
Concur with chaining to the brush guard or frame instead of the front axle.
The reason they don’t want you chaining to the axle is because it pivots in the middle. There arent any front to rear torque arms or drag links to keep the front axle from being twisted side to side.
If you chain to the outer end of the axle on one side, you are putting stress on the center pivot point before you can tighten the other side. If one side is tighter than the other and then you were to slam on the brakes, you could amplify the effect and possibly break the casting.
I also believe that is why you dont see front locking differentials as optional equipment. With an open front diff, both front tires pull equally until one loses traction, then neither one pulls on the axle..

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #6  
I’ve always used the brush guard although welding D rings to the frame would probably be better.

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #7  
What’s your view on this? I’ve been told the angles are too long. I did end up moving true hook points forward to the next stake pocket which I think looks a little better. From the tie down material standpoint those are 6800 pound WILL chains on the machine and the chain on the boom is a 4700 pound WILL chains. The red binders on the machine are 9200 pound WILL all the chain hooks on both ends exceed the chain limit. So I think that part is good. And the backhoe has nice convenient hook points at all 4 corners. IMG_0780.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    549.4 KB · Views: 338
   / TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #8  
I recall reading some guide that said to try for 45 degrees. You are trying to prevent both front-back motion as well as side-to-side with the same chains, so split the difference.

Bruce

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #9  
Does the loader on my TLB count as an attachment? It’s not optional equipment.

/ TIE DOWN locations on tractor for towing??? #10  
Does the loader on my TLB count as an attachment? It’s not optional equipment.