Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #71  
Sure, it definitely IS the front end. But in Europe many, if not most, large tractors use a front end 3pt hitch besides the std rear end one.
We don't have to go to Europe to see one, my JD 3039R has a 3 point hitch on the front.

Attachments

• 3039R.jpg
    3039R.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 59
   / Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #72  
I hauled millions of pounds of random crap all over Iraq on a 40' flatbed. From pickup trucks, HMMWV's, other semi trucks, semi trailers, deuce and a half's, Russian military trucks and literal tons and tons of everything else they could fit on our trailers. Straps by FAR were more reliable than chains. Cant count how many chains I broke over the rough roads over there. Not to mention they always became lose which meant we had to stop far more often to re-secure chained loads than strapped loads. Stopping to fix a chain and binder on the side of the road in Iraq was too often deadly so needless to say we hated stopping. I will to this day chose a strap over a chain any time I can. Chains dont stretch when they are suddenly shock loaded (like from braking hard, hitting an IED, going over rough terrain, etc) and they snap, where a strap will stretch and absorb the shock load without loosening or snapping like a chian would. There is a time and a place for both but for me, straps it is. I cant tell you how often Im on the road and see stuff on a trailer with lose chains flopping all over the place, one hard knock and that's a broken chain.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #73  
We don't have to go to Europe to see one, my JD 3039R has a 3 point hitch on the front.
Is that a true 3 pt hitch or some proprietary design the JD uses and requires their expensive proprietary implements?

A true front 3 pt will accept any 3 pt hitch implements and that's what we have in Europe. It will also have a true front PTO, instead of an exposed shaft underneath running from the rear PTO or the mid PTO.

83990854_3516936145014648_6828137632791265280_o.jpg

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #74  
I have been buying my straps from rachetstrapsusa.com. Their axle straps are only stocked in 2" widths but in lengths of multiple of 12", 2x24 up to 2x84. They come with nylon protective sleeves, flat or forged D rings. The company advertises custom work so they may make wider axles straps?

I have purchased from this supplier several times. They send me discount offers on occasion and offer bulk packs at a good price.

They also carry just the sleeves by themselves. I have bought them to slip over my J-hook straps to protect chafing on my stake pockets.

I have not bought any but there are online sellers of used fire hose to use as sleeves. For really rough edges, leather sleeves are available too.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #75  
Someone mentioned that the fold over binders have been outlawed by the DOT? I was taught to properly seat them by giving them a "whack" with the piece of pipe that I used to tighten them to secure steel beams way back when. If I was hauling coils then I secured them with rubber straps just as a precaution since you cannot clamp down overly hard on coils. Never had one slack, never lost anything.

My "thing" is to take the time to basically use more straps (or chains) than the minimum. That comes from mainly hauling fence posts or pole barns. The smaller pole barns are the "worst" to tie down due to the post, purlins, tin, doors, windows, hardware on the same load. Heavy stuff strapped down first, light stuff on top with more straps. Then there are the roof trusses...

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #76  
Someone mentioned that the fold over binders have been outlawed by the DOT?

They definitely are still used on log trucks around here.

Binders.jpg

I don't know if they are load restricted by DOT.

The log loads are perfect for the snap type binders. They don't hang out wider than the load, and weight holds the handles downward.

Plus I've had issues with binders on solid loads like steel, not enough flex in the loads to get them adjusted properly. The logs likely have enough spring to tighten down well.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #77  
We always kept the chains long enough to wrap around the binder then ziptied the chains to prevent them from popping. I did much prefer the ratchet style but we weren't allowed to use those for some reason.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #78  
As far as the ratchet straps. I've come to like them.

Our local equipment auction has been listing a few blue colored 2" ratchet straps that are rated as 2,500 kg (a little over 5,000 lbs) working load. They're trying to list them as 5 tons which is annoying. Anyway, the straps themselves are heavier than the ordinary 3300 lb straps. However, the ratchets don't seem that different.

Double the straps into a circle, and one has double that, or 10,000 lbs working load. And, I always like to have at least 2 straps in any direction on a load, so they're strong enough for most ordinary vehicles.

There are 4" ratchets that have a higher load rating, but I haven't started using them. They just seem awkward.

27 to 30 feet seems a bit long, but there is always something that a couple of feet longer would be nice for such as lengthwise over the top of my load. If you do a loop, then the length is half that. Cut down the length if you wish, or simply tie down the excess. Or if you have enough strap, go back to the load for a second loop.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #79  
The supplier that I mentioned carries 1-2-3-4 inch wide straps in standard or custom lengths and colors. I have 2" straps in black, yellow and purple depending on the length so I can readily grab what I need.

I mostly use my ~82" wide between the fender equipment trailer to haul small hay bales. I have two 35' twisted safety hook straps that work great to go front to back over the bales stacked five layers high. I got the twisted hooks to use with axle straps for a secure tie down.

Most people that I see hauling the small bales just go with the two long straps. Because I like to stay within my fenders so my rear view is not blocked, I load 20 bales in a layer, five layers high. No as stable as say loading on a wider deck over so I also cross strap the load.

I bought an 8 pack of 27' J-hooks for about $120 a year or so ago then cut five down to 20' for my cross straps. Tighten and go, no tying up loose ends. People might laugh at me for overdoing the straps but I drive an hour for my hay and don't like leaving any along side of the road.

I also have six 20' straps with flat safety hooks that I use with axle straps if need be depending on what I am hauling. I like the twisted safety hooks better than the flat hooks.

I had a box truck for a few years so I also have several E-track straps and various adaptors that I hung onto when I sold the truck. So yes, I like my straps, lol!

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #80  
Is that a true 3 pt hitch or some proprietary design the JD uses and requires their expensive proprietary implements?

A true front 3 pt will accept any 3 pt hitch implements and that's what we have in Europe. It will also have a true front PTO, instead of an exposed shaft underneath running from the rear PTO or the mid PTO.
It's a proprietary hitch for Deere stuff. I like it, does everything I need it to.