Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there?

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #11  
In general, the cut off point between EGR and DEF is around 140 HP. I doubt you will ever see a compact tractor with DEF.

The particulate filters is only good for some many hours then they will need to be replaced. I have heard figures between 3k and 4k to replace them. From my understanding, there's been some interest in a reman program that could cut the cost in half.

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there?
Re: Mahindra Tier 3

If any of you are still wanting the tier 3 models, I have about 100 models in stock. We ordered heavy just so we could pass on the savings of these models. Contact Jimmy at 910-465-3070
Thanks, if I could get it warrantied close to home I might but the closest dealer for me is 90 miles away.

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #13  
Man am I glad I got my tractor in 10 it an 09 and I don't have to worry about tier 4.

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #14  
IMG_2182.jpgIMG_2184.jpg
We just got this low hour 2013 M8540 w/loader Pre emission Only 50 HRS if anyone is interested

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #15  
What kind of maintenance for the EGR?? EGR is exaust gas recirculation and wasn't aware of any maintenance needed for it. DEF is diesel exaust fluid. Did you aim to say a diesel particle muffler?

Maybe they mean the EGR causes maintenance issues. For starters, recirculating exhaust can cause carbon buildup in intake passages, creating issues like sticking the EGRV open.

In general, the cut off point between EGR and DEF is around 140 HP. I doubt you will ever see a compact tractor with DEF.

The particulate filters is only good for some many hours then they will need to be replaced. I have heard figures between 3k and 4k to replace them. From my understanding, there's been some interest in a reman program that could cut the cost in half.

They shouldn't need to be replaced if they use the DEF and run a periodic regen cycle.

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #16  
The way it works this year and into next is that manufacturers can basically pay up front for units that don't exactly meet tier IV emissions. I'm only familiar with Mahindra, but they have bought the credits(think like carbon credits) for their most popular selling models so they can continue to offer them at low prices. They phase in the others and some new offerings over the coming months. I assume other manufacturers have done the same so they can compete. Adding DEF and DPFs is a solution that avoids purchasing the emissions credits. Only thing is that those also add considerable cost to the tractors and come with considerable headaches to the consumers. I guess some manufacturers would rather not give Uncle Sam his due, but in the customers best interest I believe this is the way to go, at least for the time being. Hey, can I list my phone number on this thread and try to sell some tractors?

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #17  
The way it works this year and into next is that manufacturers can basically pay up front for units that don't exactly meet tier IV emissions. I'm only familiar with Mahindra, but they have bought the credits(think like carbon credits) for their most popular selling models so they can continue to offer them at low prices. They phase in the others and some new offerings over the coming months. I assume other manufacturers have done the same so they can compete. Adding DEF and DPFs is a solution that avoids purchasing the emissions credits. Only thing is that those also add considerable cost to the tractors and come with considerable headaches to the consumers. I guess some manufacturers would rather not give Uncle Sam his due, but in the customers best interest I believe this is the way to go, at least for the time being. Hey, can I list my phone number on this thread and try to sell some tractors?
High pressure direct injection is a good thing. More power, less fuel, quite, better starts, less expensive more reliable than mechanical governors. More modern designs with twin overhead cams and 4 valves are more efficient designs and are good. They add cost though. Exhaust gas recirculation is bad! DEF adds expense and maintenance but will not effect mechanicals, if you care about CO2, many don't, it makes the tractor a very very clean machine, so it's a trade off I would embrace. If you really want to avoid issues its EGR that you should avoid at all cost when buying. HS

Last edited:
   / Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #19  
If you have a dpf with egr...just work her hard.

/ Tier 4 emmisions, best options out there? #20  
IMO.. I don't think they buy the credits. they are given to a company based on the number of engines they import.

I agree Neil. It's a formula based on amount of engines imported in certain size ranges over certain periods of time, etc. We still have some Flex tractors in stock, which are Tier III units imported during the Tier IV timeframe because of the formula mentioned above. But I think Mahindra has used up most of the Flex units and for most models, once what is on the ground now is gone, they are gone for good.

If a person wants a Flex unit, now is the time.